Waterville Valley New Summit T Bar

in NELSAP Forum Posts: 2,579
From Liftblog.com:

Lift construction season is here!  Thanks to Carleton G. for these photos of Waterville Valley’s new LST T-Bar.

Comments

Hmmmmm....still a chance it will be running this season...
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    I suspect I owe someone a beer :)
  • TygTyg
    From the Waterville Facebook today

The High Country Double’s final weekend of operation will be this Saturday and Sunday 4/7 and 4/8. Come bid adieu to this iconic piece of Waterville history, and get some last laps in - before the double comes down and construction continues on the new High Country T-Bar!
    Bull Mountain... don't go changin'!
    Tyg said:

From the Waterville Facebook today

The High Country Double’s final weekend of operation will be this Saturday and Sunday 4/7 and 4/8. Come bid adieu to this iconic piece of Waterville history, and get some last laps in - before the double comes down and construction continues on the new High Country T-Bar!

Someone really should video a ride up that Städeli and post it here.

IBRAKE
    I love/hate this.

Love it because:  a) the High Country was one of the worst lift's in New England, b) I'm a big believer of surface lifts in windy terrain.

Hate it because:  T-Bar on a snowboard is pretty awful. Not impossible, just not fun.

Overall it feels like a zero sum. 
    What's unique about this situation - the summit of Waterville was first served by a double, then a double and HSQ, then just a double, then a T-bar. This has to be the only time that the most modern access goes from HSQ-Double-T-bar.
    NELSAP said:

What's unique about this situation - the summit of Waterville was first served by a double, then a double and HSQ, then just a double, then a T-bar. This has to be the only time that the most modern access goes from HSQ-Double-T-bar.

Silverstar in BC also chopped the top of a HSQ and replaced with a t-bar.  I think it was more to get rid of a mid-station when upgrading from a yan HSQ.  Can't think of any other until Ascutney runs some surface lift all the way to the top of the old HSQ.  ;-)
    I wonder what will become of the double. I guess it can be used for parts on the many on the hill like it.
    newman said:

I wonder what will become of the double. I guess it can be used for parts on the many on the hill like it.

Lower Meadows is a very similar double, but you're right. They have at least two other Stadeli lifts still running.

I for one am sad to see that double go, as a snowboarder I hate T-bars. Just dealt with them at Laax in Switzerland and they suck. I get why skiers love them though. It'll be nice to see HC get more use with less wind holds, but opening early with just a T and down loading White Peaks is not going to be very attractive.
    I don't know why they don't open on Shadyside in the first effort instead of High Country
    Funny, if "skiing" a full day on a t-bar I actually find it more comfortable on a snowboard. Have more weight distribution issues when l ride single as a skier, tend to have to fight it a bit (pomas much better). It's also not bad when I have a partner, or for short periods of time. But on a snowboard I can happily ride a t-bar alone all day.
    Sully said:

I get why skiers love them though.

• edited April 2018 Posts: 4,668
    Oh you still have time, they only have to mount all the pulleys, string the cables, align everything, mount the T's, start her up & get it inspected in what was 9 days. No problem. ;)
    Besides, I don't know if I came take anything from a red jacket/white cross person. I always buy the beer for them when I can. Many thanks to you and all your ilk for keeping us safe on the slopes!
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    see NESH. That's quite a pile of wood, stumps, etc... between the Hutte and the Country chair. I wonder where it all came from?
  • > @ski_it said:
    > see NESH. That's quite a pile of wood, stumps, etc... between the Hutte and the Country chair. I wonder where it all came from?

I'm sure that's from clearing the T-bar line
    - Sam
    ski_it said:

Oh you still have time, they only have to mount all the pulleys, string the cables, align everything, mount the T's, start her up & get it inspected in what was 9 days. No problem. ;)
    Besides, I don't know if I came take anything from a red jacket/white cross person. I always buy the beer for them when I can. Many thanks to you and all your ilk for keeping us safe on the slopes!

No worries ski_it. I honor my bets. Drop by the top shack the next time you're up and we'll pick a time to meet in the bar. Appreciate the kind words regarding patrollers.
    Sounds good Ted
    Liftblog has photos of the completed Tbar:

https://liftblog.com/#jp-carousel-63965
    Between WV new T, BW T, whale t, and a surface at Black I may live the dream
    Perhaps it's just the perspective, but some of the towers look to be in excess of 20' tall. We're refreshing with the WV patrol Saturday. I'll ask the PD.
    Looks like I may have to ride that new girl!
    I absolutely HATE this decision. HATE HATE HATE it. I realize I’m alone on the forum with that stance, but I could not hate it more. It is such a cheap out for management and pathetic really.
    Blame New England breezeness
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 5,479
    Sully said:

I absolutely HATE this decision. HATE HATE HATE it. I realize I’m alone on the forum with that stance, but I could not hate it more. It is such a cheap out for management and pathetic really.

What is there to hate? It seems like the perfect choice. A T-bar is the best fit for the situation and I have yet to talk to anyone who really disagrees.
    - Sam

Sully said:

What is there to hate? It seems like the perfect choice. A T-bar is the best fit for the situation and I have yet to talk to anyone who really disagrees.
    Very windy up there. Do you have any idea how hard it will be to keep snow on the track and to maintain it?
    It should not be an issue, thats why they stuffed it against the treeline with a new liftline near the top. Once the snow is on the track there is nothing to maintain but groom it every couple of days. You're not making turns on it it can be ice and most surface lifts are.
    newpylong said:

It should not be an issue, thats why they stuffed it against the treeline with a new liftline near the top. Once the snow is on the track there is nothing to maintain but groom it every couple of days. You're not making turns on it it can be ice and most surface lifts are.

The tracks become icy and develop rolls and ridges. It's also a kiss off to any thought of an early season product.
    As an interesting bit of trivia, this has to be the only area that went from having a double only to the summit, then both a double and HSQ, then back to a double, then to a T-bar - a triple downgrade in lift type. HOWEVER, as a T-bar enthusiast I think this is a good idea.

Ascutney almost comes close regarding their "best lift" - going from an HSQ, down to a rope tow, and now up to a T-bar.
    I don't know if Ibrake4tbars would consider it a downgrade
    I'm excited about all these new T-bars. They were becoming extinct, and now we have had multiple ones installed in New England. Now if we could just get some more detachable Pomas, we'd be all set!
    JD good to see you pumped up after skiing K w JS!

Any chance of getting to NH Crotched the 6th of January for the SJ meetup?