Black Mountain 2/11/2017

edited February 2018 in Trip Reports Posts: 5,479
It felt like spring yesterday at Black, but the amount of snow seemed more like winter. Temperatures were in the thirties through the day and an I recast morning gave way to a very rainy and foggy afternoon. Every trail was open, except for Carter Notch Glade, but some had thin cover. Lostbo Glade and Black N' Blue were almost impossible to ski without hitting multiple rocks and downed branches and I came away from those runs with numerous new gouges in my bases. However, most other trails and glades had excellent cover and there were many opportunities for mogul skiing. Crowds were very light and groomed trails stayed in good shape all day. The snow was heavy because of the rain, but there wasn't a patch of ice to be found anywhere on the mountain. Because of rain and very light crowds, they closed the double around 2:15. I also walked away with a new-to-me pair of skis. They replaced much of their rental fleet this season and they were selling the old rental and demo skis for $25 each. It was too good of a deal to pass up and I got a pair of Fischer demo skis which were in excellent condition and worth at least three or four times that price. It was a good day despite the rain, and with another foot on top of what they already have, conditions would be perfect on all trails.

Summit DoubleimageSummit DoubleimageSummit Double and Platter PullimagePlatter PullimageSummit DoubleimageEast Bowl TripleimageEast Bowl TripleimageLostboimageMaple GladeimageEast Bowl TripleimageEast Bowl TripleimageSummit DoubleimageT2 GladeimageSummit Double from Upper Galloping GooseimageBlack N' BlueimageBlack N' BlueimageSummit Double above Roller CoasterimageSummit DoubleimageEast Bowl Tripleimage
- Sam

Comments

• Gotta love that Riblet-modified Mueller double!

IBRAKE
    T2!  looking at the photo I thought that was Lostbo.  cool report!
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 5,479

T2!  looking at the photo I thought that was Lostbo.  cool report!

I see how that angle makes them look similar.
    - Sam
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 5,277
    A day or so late chime in Sam, the usual great pictured report from one of Ricks favorite areas.
    I especially enjoyed pics in the past of the chairlift going over the surface lift.

After selling Chryslers for over a quarter century I finally recently noticed a "Pentastar " at the top of those beautiful lattice towers!

Who's your ski pardner Sam?

Wow sounds like a real bargain on those demos, what are they like $1000 new retail msrp? Include a binding?
  • ciscokid said:

A day or so late chime in Sam, the usual great pictured report from one of Ricks favorite areas.
    I especially enjoyed pics in the past of the chairlift going over the surface lift.

After selling Chryslers for over a quarter century I finally recently noticed a "Pentastar " at the top of those beautiful lattice towers!

Who's your ski pardner Sam?

Wow sounds like a real bargain on those demos, what are they like $1000 new retail msrp? Include a binding?

I believe they were from 2006 or 2007 and were almost $800 new. They did include bindings.
    - Sam
    Thanks for the report. 

Looks like it was a fine time and a great ski deal.
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 5,277
    Hey Sam could you link your previous day at the Black Mountain it seems to be sun filled day and that shadow picture of you on the chairlift with the pictures of crossing over the surface lift
  • ciscokid said:

Hey Sam could you link your previous day at the Black Mountain it seems to be sun filled day and that shadow picture of you on the chairlift with the pictures of crossing over the surface lift

Here are two previous trip reports from bluebird days

http://snowjournal.com/discussion/1647/black-mountain-1-14-2018

http://snowjournal.com/discussion/1141/black-mountain-nh-2-21-2017

- Sam