Waterville Valley Improvements

Comments

• edited September 2017 Posts: 4,668
    And they've started clearing it.
    Extra vert too
    http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=597
    It also shows the magic carpet install over the J bar and lodge improvements to add an adaptive ski room
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • I will miss that lift. Although the runs off the lift weren't challenging, there was often times no one was up there. The t-bar will probably keep even more skiers off the top
    Do we have a T-bar construction race in New England! Burk, Whaleback and late comers Saddleback and Waterville are in the game. Sunday River (and Gould) have handed in their cards and plan to build next year.
    The video on ropeways (same as WV site) says the High Country double is under going regular pre-season prep. Hum??
    Here's my guess on order of finish:
    1. Burke
    2. Whaleback
    3. Saddleback
    4. Waterville

ropeways.net | Home | 2017-10-10

FOREST SERVICE APPROVAL LAUNCHES CONSTRUCTION OF NEW HIGH COUNTRY T-BAR LIFT FOR WATERVILLE VALLEY RESORT

Waterville Valley, NH — Waterville Valley Resort received approval from the USDA Forest Service to begin construction of the new High Country T-Bar Lift, proposed in May. While the ski season is just around the corner, the achievement of this significant milestone has spurred construction to begin immediately.

“So much happens behind the scenes before a project finally breaks ground so it is incredible what has been accomplished in just a few months through the collaborative efforts of the USDA Forest Service, SE Group, Horizons Engineering, Inc., LST Lifts, and our team,” says Tim Smith, President and General Manager of Waterville Valley Resort. “Developed from the feedback of industry experts and our own athletes, passholders, and guests, it has been clear from the start that this is the best plan to improve and innovate the High Country experience and now we have the go ahead to bring it to life.”

The new lift is part of a larger, $7.5 million multiyear investment plan, dubbed Phase II. This summer saw the launch of multiple projects set to improve the skier and guest experience with resort-wide renovations, upgrades, and innovations in snowmaking, terrain, lifts, activities, the base lodge, and more.

“Our philosophy for taking on ambitious projects at this point in the season is unique but has served us well in recent years,” says Smith of moving forward on the T-Bar lift. “By prioritizing flexibility over the customary, but limiting, opening day guarantee, we can make progress and deliver results sooner on projects that otherwise might not get started until the next season.”

Those excited skiers and riders who can’t wait for opening day are invited for a sneak peek during the Columbus Day Weekend Fall Foliage Festival. Tour the new Phase II developments on a guided hike with Tim Smith, attend demonstrations of new technology and equipment in Town Square, and take advantage of the season pass sale, now through October 10th. 

Further details and regular updates can be found at:  http://www.waterville.com/Phase-II
    High country is not coming down until next spring.  There was no guarantee they'd have all of the approvals in place to ensure they had the t-bar operating for the opening of the ski season.
    And knowing Tim Smith at Waterville pretty well, I would not put them in last place.  
  • Tedede says HiCo chair lift doesn't come down this winter.  True or false?  Other source(s) say the Tbar is on the Atlantic...
    whygimf said:

Tedede says HiCo chair lift doesn't come down this winter.  True or false?  Other source(s) say the Tbar is on the Atlantic...

Start at the one minute mark.   https://www.facebook.com/wvresort/videos/1530056130395338/

At the 90 second mark they say they are having all of the lifts inspected to operate for the season.

Not sure what you mean by on the Atlantic, but it takes less time to ship stuff across the atlantic than it does concrete to cure.
    T bar construction race! Ibrake4tbars must be in all his glory!⛷⛷⛷
  • ciscokid said:

T bar construction race! Ibrake4tbars must be in all his glory!⛷⛷⛷

Can’t imagine what gave it away :D
    They are flying concrete today for the t-bar footings.  

WV had a facebook live session this morning.  

High Country chairlift comes down next summer.
    tedede said:

They are flying concrete today for the t-bar footings.  

WV had a facebook live session this morning.  

High Country chairlift comes down next summer.
    Picked up their vacation planner magazine the other day at a ski shop I stopped by and the map in there (which I was very interested in with the expansion) has High Country remaining a chair.  If the T were going in this year I think it would be touted there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • Wonder if they’ll run the High Country Chair at all this season even with the new t-bar in place.

Gotta say it’s an unusual thing to see a surface lift replace an aerial lift. Wonder if this has happened elsewhere in the East.

IBRAKE

Wonder if they’ll run the High Country Chair at all this season even with the new t-bar in place.

Gotta say it’s an unusual thing to see a surface lift replace an aerial lift. Wonder if this has happened elsewhere in the East.

IBRAKE

I think this is a first, in the east. I know some novice chairs have been removed and replaced by carpets. I guess the High Country winds make this the right move in the the eyes of management. Will they try to open early season on High Country in the future and try to keep the t bar line covered as a second WROD?
    newman said:

Wonder if they’ll run the High Country Chair at all this season even with the new t-bar in place.

IBRAKE

I think this is a first, in the east. I know some novice chairs have been removed and replaced by carpets. I guess the High Country winds make this the right move in the the eyes of management. Will they try to open early season on High Country in the future and try to keep the t bar line covered as a second WROD?
    I wonder how much difference it makes here in the east.  Ok, Killington opens North Ridge with the gondola and stairs but they are pretty much the exception, not the rule.  Think of some of the set ups.  Cannon probably has the most ideal with the Tram, lodge, and top quad and a whole pod of trails that you think could be covered and saved before the bottom could be opened but it never seems to happen that way on either end of the season,  Ditto for High Country.  Just don't have enough elevation to make a difference (Outside of Mt Washington of course).  Out west is a whole other story.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    WV has opened on just High Country. I wonder if that will even be possible when the chair comes down?
    A T-bar track requires very little snow to operate.
    4aprice said:

Picked up their vacation planner magazine the other day at a ski shop I stopped by and the map in there (which I was very interested in with the expansion) has High Country remaining a chair.  If the T were going in this year I think it would be touted there.

There are several organizations that use the name Waterville Valley name in their marketing.  WV is both a ski area and a town.  I'd check to see which one it came from.

They will be stripping/backfilling the footings this week. Once the ground is frozen and snow covered they'll be bringing up and installing the towers with the groomers (to minimize soil disruption). The plan is to operate the T-bar this winter once it passes final state inspection.

• edited October 2017 Posts: 224
    Because flying them up would blow the budget? Or they just aren't in any big hurry...?
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,668
    I'd bet money the T will not run this season. There's no real need to, unless the HC breaks down. I always liked skiing up there too. It's quiet, nice views, easy skiing and never much of a line.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

Because flying them up would blow the budget? Or they just aren't in any big hurry...?

The concrete needs time to cure so you can't set them now even if you flew them up. There are only 5 or 6 towers.  T-bar towers are shorter than chairlift towers.  The heli is based in the midwest and it's not cost effective to bring it back for such a small job.
    ski_it said:

I'd bet money the T will not run this season. There's no real need to, unless the HC breaks down. I always liked skiing up there too. It's quiet, nice views, easy skiing and never much of a line.

The plan is for the T-bar to replace the chair.  The chair is coming out next summer.  Why would you not run it in favor of the chair?  Also the T-bar can be run in windier conditions and uses less energy to run.

So, how much would you like to bet?  
  • The reason for the Tbar is the unreliability of the HiCo chair. The multiple lift evacuations and eventual season shutdown last season requires the lift change. I agree with Tedehe, the Tbar will run. HiCo is a training for the local team - not uncommon for over a hundred kids up there after they open the weekend prior to Thanksgiving. Mid week training there too.
    Linky https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1547962008604750&id=116289461772019&refsrc=http://www.google.com/&_rdr

One million dollars! Bwah
    I'm not arguing the reason for it. Anyone who has skied WV knows BBTS. And of course if they finish it they will run it but they still have a lot of work to do. Your thinking it will be ready 30-35 days after pouring the footings? Have they built the drive terminal yet? Perhaps with this mild fall weather they'll get a lot done. Anyway they have stated they are proceeding with inspection on the chair so...
    Since Mr NESH lives pretty close I'm sure he'll have a news update with pics soon.
    Ok seriously Tedede I bet you a Rocket Fuel.
    ski_it said:

Linky https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1547962008604750&id=116289461772019&refsrc=http://www.google.com/&_rdr

One million dollars! Bwah
    I'm not arguing the reason for it. Anyone who has skied WV knows BBTS. And of course if they finish it they will run it but they still have a lot of work to do. Your thinking it will be ready 30-35 days after pouring the footings? Have they built the drive terminal yet? Perhaps with this mild fall weather they'll get a lot done. Anyway they have stated they are proceeding with inspection on the chair so...
    Since Mr NESH lives pretty close I'm sure he'll have a news update with pics soon.

I don't think it'll be ready in 30-35 days, but they are pre-staging/building some of the supports/towers.  I suspect it'll be ready and running in time for Feb vacation.

whygimf said:

The reason for the Tbar is the unreliability of the HiCo chair. The multiple lift evacuations and eventual season shutdown last season requires the lift change. I agree with Tedehe, the Tbar will run. HiCo is a training for the local team - not uncommon for over a hundred kids up there after they open the weekend prior to Thanksgiving. Mid week training there too.

They found the issue with the  HiCo chair.  An irregularity on the track was restricting the rearward travel of the support carriage, causing the a loss of tension on the rope.

It's not so much the unreliability as it is the wind situation, there have been times where that lift goes on wind hold.  Keep in mind the HSQ summit terminal was relocated because of this.  Not to mention it's an old lift with increase maintenance needs. 
    tedede said:

ski_it said:

One million dollars! Bwah ha ha. ....

I don't think it'll be ready in 30-35 days, but they are pre-staging/building some of the supports/towers.  I suspect it'll be ready and running in time for Feb vacation.

All our answers to our questions are coming soon on the Book of Face.

I trust you weren't expecting me to bet you twin lobsters & baked beans vs. whatever NH's specialty is? Chances are I'll be at CM during Feb break so ...whatever is on tap?

tedede said:

They found the issue with the  HiCo chair.  An irregularity on the track was restricting the rearward travel of the support carriage, causing the a loss of tension on the rope.

Probs from the little BBTSers bouncing in the chairs.

• edited October 2017 Posts: 728
    ski_it said:

tedede said:

ski_it said:

One million dollars! Bwah ha ha. ....

I trust you weren't expecting me to bet you twin lobsters & baked beans vs. whatever NH's specialty is? Chances are I'll be at CM during Feb break so ...whatever is on tap?
    Sorry I forgot to acknowledge your wager.  A beer is a perfect!

Harumph..I hope you like Bud Light...http://www.waterville.com/phase-ii#progress-update
  • Gateless RFID? Should be interesting to see how this works out.