Mount Snow 4-3-2017

edited April 2017 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,811

Area skied: Mount Snow, Vermont

Date skied: April 3rd, 2017 from 9am -12pm.

Surface conditions: frozeoroy, wet packed.

Weather: high overcast, temperature 32F at 9am and 50F at 12pm.

I skied Mount Snow yesterday morning thinking it would be a clear day, but the high thin clouds stayed above all morning, this was probably a good thing as it kept temperatures from getting even warmer than they did. The 10" of snow over the weekend filled in a lot of the thin and bare spots on some of the groomers like Lodge, Long John Natural, Fallen Timbers and Exhibition, that where there when I last skied Mount Snow on Wednesday. Conditions first thing where frozen groomer and Ego Alley was the ROTD with crisp corduroy. Cascade/Canyon, Long John/Ridge and Snowdance all turned into wet packed snow by 12pm.

Mount Snow:

uploading images

Ridge:

screen shot

Ego Alley:

picture upload sites

Fallen Timbers:

<p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>

Comments

I posted with pictures for Cicsokid. Unfortunately the day stayed cloudy with flat light and crappy conditions for taking pictures,
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
    Thanks sugar
    Any pics of Walts place is great

I skied Mt. Snow way back in 92. It's an intermediate paradise and full of great cruising trails. Love the view of the lake or reservoir or whatever that body of water to the north is.

Wonder how it skis compared to Stratton, Bromley, or Okemo.

IBRAKE
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 4,668

Somerset Reservoir - so no houses around it.

I haven't been to Stratton in quite a while & Bromley maybe 10 years back but in my mind in order of:

Difficulty: Stratton, Okemo, Snow, Bromley - With the 1 & 2 similar, and 3 & 4 kinda similar

Crowds: Snow, Okemo, Stratton, Bromley - with the 1st 3 a toss up

Cruisers: Snow, Bromley, Okemo, Stratton - all similar to me.

BWDIK

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ciscokid said:

Thanks sugarg
    Any pics of Walts place is great

I'm skiing with a disability, so I don't have the steep trail action shots some other posters due. But I try to share my skiing experience non the less.
  • ski_it said:

Difficulty: Stratton, Okemo, Snow, Bromley - With the 1 & 2 similar, and 3 & 4 kinda similar

Tough one.  I would almost argue Snow over the other's thanks to the North Face and some of the steeps there where Okemo and Stratton don't compare. 
  • FWIW, The Ego Ally picture is awesome.  Must be the lattice.

The view on Sunday 4/2 was 100 miles. I skied Monday too.  Thought Sunday was a bit better due to bluebird surroundings and conditions were soft from opening bell.  Snow both days was spring-like ..just a little firm Monday morning but it didn't take long to loosen.image

• edited April 2017 Posts: 1,811
    Im planning on skiing on Sunday for what might be my last day at Mount Snow, though I may get back up on Wednesday, depending on the weather. I'm hoping for 1-2 days at Killington in May and a 6/1/17 end.
    ...& the ever popular Heavy wet powder, aka concrete.
    Nothing beats seeing the creativity and design in the Carinthia parks. I would say best flow I have seen in a terrain park on the East Coast.
    Sunday will probably be my last day too.  Very good season at Mt. Snow for 2016/2017.  Seems to me they aggressively opened (and re-opened) terrain (i.e. uncles, hop, dippers, etc) all season long even with "thin cover" and let the skier customer decide.

FWIW, The Ego Ally picture is awesome.  Must be the lattice.

The Ego Alley lift has been a needed back-up on a number of occasions this season, especially in the last month.  With mixed precip, Bluebird struggles and is in need of de-icing or waiting.  They used Ego a number of times to reach the summit (again today I believe).  Up Ego lift, ski (skate) Link over to River Run, down to Challenger up to summit.  FG lifts serve a purpose.

Ego, the trail is the best cruiser on the MT IMO.  Under skied, because most assume it is ALWAYS closed for race training. Ski it first run almost every weekend morning - unless I am late.
    Again! Shhhh about E A. !!!!
    Yeah when the trails above it are closed, people don't seem to want to make that 90 degree turn coming off that headwall under the bluebird to get in there. Fine by me. I think that's maybe the only lift there I haven't ridden this year yet. I've seen it running this year but it's closes by 3 pm.
    No I'm wrong I haven't ridden that chair (s) in the Discovery center.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    I do the cut across from Ridge/South bowl and ski the lower part of Ego Alley. Today's rain does not seem to be affecting the snowcover much, the summit is currently 22F with freezing rain.
    It's snowing at the summit this morning with 1/2" so far. I might go up on Saturday to take advantage of the cold weather and frozen snow.
    Many Vermont resorts should be seeing a few inches overnight and into tomorrow. Hoping it's not just dust on crust tomorrow.
    mtsnow123 said:

Many Vermont resorts should be seeing a few inches overnight and into tomorrow. Hoping it's not just dust on crust tomorrow.

I'm hoping for just that because I can't ski slush.
    2" at the summit per the snowstake webcam with light snow. It could be nice first thing Saturday morning.
    It was really nice today 4/8.  the couple inches of snow overnight sat on top of semi frozen cord.  It was easy to dig your edges in.  Afternoon was best with sun emerging.  I'll likely ski just a few runs tomorrow morning to end the season here at Mt Snow.  Perhaps I can get one more day in at Wildcat.  Once again Ego Alley was the bees knees.
    imageimage
    Nice tower!
    Snow cover looks great, closing after tomorrow?
    ciscokid said:

Nice tower!
    Snow cover looks great, closing after tomorrow?

Nope, they're open daily till next Sunday.

I took a bad fall yesterday on Fallen Timbers and dislocated my right shoulder. I had to be evacuated by ski patrol and luckily I was skiing with my son. Ski patrol was fantastic and this is the first time in 35 years that I have been injured while skiing and hopefully the last time.

I was with my wife and didn't venture over to North Face at her request.  I'm guessing it was a bit firmer over there.  I'm sorry about your injury.. at least it came at the end of the season.  I tore my ACL at Sugarloaf exactly 10 years ago on Easter Sunday 4/8/2007  and was skiing by the following Nov. That remains my only ride down on a sled. I wish you a speedy recovery.
    sugarloaf said:

I took a bad fall yesterday on Fallen Timbers and dislocated my right shoulder. I had to be evacuated by ski patrol and luckily I was skiing with my son. Ski patrol was fantastic and this is the first time in 35 years that I have been injured while skiing and hopefully the last time.

I towed you out from the bottom, I hope you recover quickly
    Thanks again for helping with my rescue, I'm slowly recovering and glad to be out of severe pain. I hope to do some late month skiing at Wildcat.
    Oh man Sugarloaf I'm sorry to hear you were injured. Glad to hear you are getting somewhat better. Wish you a speedy recovery.

My son inlaw fell hard there about a month ago. The ski ambassadors and patroller couldn't have been nicer. In his case he ended up not being evac'd but he was sore the next week. Thanks patrol!
    Skied Mt Snow yesterday and it's getting very thin in areas on all of the open trails. They're going to be hard pressed to make it to Sunday without moving some snow around so that you can get back to the lift. Dirty snow in many places and some walking involved in spots. Skis took a little beating but, that's what comes with late season, spring skiing!
    Thanks for the update. I'll be there tomorrow. Sounds like a rock ski day.