Crotched Mountain 2016-2017

Comments

NELSBEER said:

They have been focusing on hammering the upper part of the mountain with snow, even smaller mountains get temperature differentials & the line has seemingly been in the middle of the mountain much of the season.

Yes, 3.5°F/1000 feet...oops I meant 3.06/875 feet. ;)

Thanks for the updates. :)

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Crotchety weather doesn't follow rules. One day, before they made the mountain taller (with the Rocket), there was a perfect under cast of clouds stretching off to the horizon in all directions. Looked more like the top of Cannon than 'the crotch' .

Other metrics to consider  the SHED mountain brown ale new to the bar this year has a 7.4% ABV.  Rocket Fuel IPA is 7.0% & Working Man's Porter is 5.2%.   
    That Rocket Fuel is SO yum yum on tap... BUT I cannot ski or ride after..... looking forward to the SHED on tap   :)
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,667
    NELSBEER said:

Crotchety weather doesn't follow rules.

Other metrics to consider  .......

Ahh-hhh, the Crotch Effect.

And those are the kinda of metrics I like.  

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

Hopefully it's just a bit of sun peaking through, but it looks like this gun may be running a little 'hot', Maybe they hooked the gas line up to give the snow a little more lift?

Anyone else prefer the old camera (from a few years ago before the site redo) that saved images from the whole day?
    Interesting, the picture changed, guess I got a link in to the real camera. The picture I pasted showed one gun's output as a flaming red-orange fading to yellow.

I did like the old camera better, that was Chris Bradford's work.  I'm not certain how often this one updates but it gives no sense of activity.
  • obienick said:

Anyone else prefer the old camera (from a few years ago before the site redo) that saved images from the whole day?

Yes.  I did too.  I asked the GM about it and it apparently had something to do was a change in who was managing the web-site, but that discussion was sufficiently long ago,  that I no longer recal the details.
    They pulled all the websites under central control last year to give them a similar look and feel. I get the impression each area has control over content as long as it fits into the overall model.  Take a look at Peakresorts.com to see how they fit together.
    Me & Mrs Ski_it are here on opening day. Met Nelsbeer up on top, I've had several Joshua sightings, and Nelsbeer said Remski is in the house too. I may have seen him at the ski desk discussing glades with out me knowing it was him. Anyone else here?
    The skiing is fun, kinda cold but I'll leave the report to the experts.image
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 1,162
    That was me. After taking 5 runs I hiked into Final Frontier glades to trim this summers growth of 2-3 foot saplings on a glade we cut in 2015. Now it's going to be skiable!
  • Remski said:

That was me. After taking 5 runs I hiked into Final Frontier glades to trim this summers growth of 2-3 foot saplings on a glade we cut in 2015. Now it's going to be skiable!

Meanwhile,  I took a half dozen runs on the glade I worked this summer.  Didn't hit any rocks or stumps!  Wish I had run into you.  You would have liked it.

Crotched Mtn, NH Saturday 12/10/2016 - 6 trails, 2 lifts, machined groomed, secondary surface frozen granular, sunny with excellent visibility, 16-22 F and light wind.

Opening day!! We scored one of the last front row parking spots at 9 AM. The lower lot was filled but it never seemed that crowded. First year we've had a pass and it felt weird not having to go to the ticket window. It was ski onto the chair most of the day to maybe a 2 minute wait. There were 2 routes down off the summit from which you could see all the way to Mt. Washington. The snow on top was nice and developed some small moguls late in the day along the side of Moonwalk that were fun. A couple spots down lower were a little crunchier but no rocks & no ice. Skier traffic actually made some areas better. There were several terrain features set up on one trail which were getting a lot of use by other skiers & riders. Team ops nicely kept the snow guns off  us, well except if you rode the Valley Chair or maybe a split second of one cross over. Elsewhere guns were a blasting. We saw some kids heading off piste to poach something but there wasn't enough snow in the woods for me. Unlike them, I paid for my skis! As I passed by a patroller outside the shack, I spied a nametag belonging to a fellow SJer that I just had to introduce myself to; Nelsbeer. After our conversation, I'm not sure we'd recognize one another on the street, what with all our ski gear and all. Nelsbeer you are right we need SJ armbands. He also pointed out Joshua headed down the other way off the lift, which is about as close as I saw him all day. We headed out around 3pm and I was surprised that people were still coming in, booting up and heading out. They were going to be open until 5pm this weekend, next week 9pm. An enjoyable day at  Crotched, can't wait to do it again.

PS: Joshua made it onto the opening day video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JybxYdfvJA

imageimage
    i am hoping to get there tomorrow afternoon   :)     Hoping some glades will be in????
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,839
    ski_it said:

You've got a good eye!  I had to watch it twice to find it, but there I am on the chairlift 30 seconds in.

PS: CM is operating 9AM to 9PM today because of the anticipated powder day. (As of 6:45AM, there is about 5" of powder).
    PPS to becca_m or anyone else who wants to do glades:  Only one is really safe where you won''t damage your skis (or board).  Find me, and I'll happily show it to you.  

ski_it said:

You've got a good eye!  I had to watch it twice to find it, but there I am on the chairlift 30 seconds in.

PS: CM is operating 9AM to 9PM today because of the anticipated powder day. 
    PPS to becca_m or anyone else who wants to do glades:  Only one is really safe where you won''t damage your skis (or board).  Find me, and I'll happily show it to you.  
    i think i've met you but it's been a while - how do I identify you  :)    ?
  • becca_m said:

ski_it said:

PS: CM is operating 9AM to 9PM today because of the anticipated powder day. 
    i think i've met you but it's been a while - how do I identify you  :)    ?
    I'll be there at 9AM at the lift - no helmet, knit hat, glasses, black snowpants, black parka.  I'll PM you my cellphone if you want to call me.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 146
    thanks joshua!!!   I cannot get there until early afternoon - perhaps you  might be there then????

Thanks for the PM - I will look around and see if you might still be there
  • becca_m said:

thanks joshua!!!   I cannot get there until early afternoon - perhaps you  might be there then????

Thanks for the PM - I will look around and see if you might still be there
    If there is still untracked, I will be there!  And if I've gone in or you can't find me - just call.  It only takes a minute from my condo.
    excellent!!!!!   
    Didn't know they had rocky "cliff" jumps, cool
    I'll look for Joshua, everyone else had helmets , should find him,a good SJ representation
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,667
    ciscokid said:

Didn't know they had rocky "cliff" jumps, cool
    I'll look for Joshua, everyone else had helmets , should find him,a good SJ representation

When they raised the Mtn the cliffs came into play. Yeah, great - I love it when "kids" jump out of the woods in front of you on the trail. Ok, actually at that spot you can see each other pretty well, so as long as they wait until I go by, then not a problem....  & I don't know if showing that guy destroying his board is good advertisement or not?

If you blink you will miss JS. I watched it carefully because I thought maybe they'd might for once include me...but they .never put me in these promos... :(:(( I guess I'm not photogenic enough.

• Dec. 12,  2016 - Mon.

First runs were fabulous.  Later, temps went above freezing and the snow got a bit soft.  Patrol had a lot of trails close - mostly due to water bars, but most everything was liberally poached. 

I had a bunch of terrific runs with becca_m.

Probably the best day since the 2014-5 season.  I'd estimate wee had a bigger crowd than we had on Sat.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 146
    Super time this afternoon - glad I had a snow day   :)     Thanks Joshua for the the tour!!!!  The glade was TERRIFIC!!!!

Dec. 12,  2016 - Mon.

Patrol had a lot of trails close - mostly due to water bars, but most everything was liberally poached. 
    Time for my annual reminder that Patrol doesn't decide what is opened and closed.  Management does.  We just run the ropes. 

And according to the latest risk management practices, a closed sign simply won't do, we are required to rope it off. 
    Josh, are those twin tips you're sporting in that glade? Incidentally that is probably the only glade so. of the Whites that is skiable but watch for the piles of rocks but everything in between is smooth sailing.
  • tedede said:

Dec. 12,  2016 - Mon.

Patrol had a lot of trails close - mostly due to water bars, but most everything was liberally poached. 
    Time for my annual reminder that Patrol doesn't decide what is opened and closed.  Management does.  We just run the ropes. 

It is a shame that these decisions are made by desk jockeys as opposed to those who are actually skiing.
  • Remski said:

Josh, are those twin tips you're sporting in that glade? Incidentally that is probably the only glade so. of the Whites that is skiable but watch for the piles of rocks but everything in between is smooth sailing.

Those are rockered twin tips.  The piles of rocks were cairns placed on top of other rocks that were too big to move.  There is one rough area about 150' from where the glade turns left that I will work on next summer.  Other than that, it is everything I hoped it would be.  I did try Uranus, but while the stumps were fine, there were a lot of sharp rocks.  Dark Star - similar. Didn't try the others. 
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 726

It is a shame that these decisions are made by desk jockeys as opposed to those who are actually skiing.

Just because it's poachable on your rock skis doesn't mean it's safe to open to the general public.

I find it somewhat ironic that the ropes that you complain about actually protect the limited natural snow that you enjoy when you duck under them.