Crotched Mountain 2017-2018

14567810»

Comments

hiked up and did velocity tonight.  Still great coverage and soft snow on top. Hopefully more to come. 
    Quietman said:

hiked up and did velocity tonight.  Still great coverage and soft snow on top. Hopefully more to come. 

I hiked yesterday AM (4/11 Weds.).  Everything I skied was wonderful, plus it was pretty easy to see that if management thought it would be profitable, they would certainly be able to be open at nearly 100%.

There was a "cream cheese" inch of new snow in the morning that was particularly sweet skiing, especially where it had been untracked from the last several days of turn-earners.  
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,839
    Apr. 21, 2018 - Sat.
    Back home after 8 days away from ski country.  I got back home at about 3:30 - plenty of time for a hike.

Based on some piles of plowed snow, it appears that CM was considering opening, but it looks like the groomer couldn't plow enough snow onto Moonwalk to cover some extended bare areas.

The snow was "cream cheese".  I started up the west side.  Velocity to Shooting Star was full width. From where Shooting Star crosses Mountain Rd., I hiked up Mountain Rd./Galaxy (some bare spots on Mountain Road) and Moonwalk to the top.  From the top, Satellite Summit was very skiable - but I chose Jupiter's Storm.  The cover was edge to edge with a mogul field that I only wish I had the energy to do a second time.  Magnitude, Meteor and Pluto's were all T2B with especially good edge-to-edge of trail cover on Meteor.  I chose Pluto's for my descent. It was lovely.

For those looking to earn some turns, tomorrow (Sunday, 4/22/18) should be very pleasant.  It may we;ll be the last opportunity for T2B full-width trails at CM this season.
    Climbed up Pluto's after work to the junction with Milky Way, watched the sunset then skied down via Meteor.  10 foot section at the top of Meteor and a 5 foot section of water bar down low were the only completely bare spots.  Some sections are still at least a few feet deep.  It was a nice break!  
    Well done Mark...glad to see you are making the most of it. Meteor was very deep all season so its no surprise you found some good turns on that.

April 27, I left New England for 10 days or so.  When I left, CM  was T2B skiable on Velocity, Satellite Summit, Jupiter, Pluto and Meteor. When I returned on May 10, all that remained were a few small piles: I doubt that one could get 10' of vertical on any single patch of snow.

The spring foliage season is starting to come into play.  In many ways, it's as beautiful as the fall foliage, but with much more subtle pastel colors.  I've never understood why New England doesn't attempt to market the spring foliage season the way they do the fall - but after, a hike on the hill, I think I've got the answer: black flies and mud.
    , I think I've got the answer:

Josh you always have the answer , what would we do without you?

Just a thanks for all your summaries, detailed reports, and jurisprudence! ( just trying try emulate your verbiage with no success)⛷
    Joshua, you omitted the third spring item Yellow Snow, no not that kind.. the pollen.

.. but there is that growingly popular spring sport of Black Fly Zapping. There is unending satisfaction in swinging electric tennis rackets at the things and ending their rein of terror in an electronic flash. Don't forget fresh batteries.

See you on the hill soon..  
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 4,839
    NELSBEER said:

Joshua, you omitted the third spring item Yellow Snow, no not that kind.. the pollen.

.. but there is that growingly popular spring sport of Black Fly Zapping. There is unending satisfaction in swinging electric tennis rackets at the things and ending their rein of terror in an electronic flash. Don't forget fresh batteries.

See you on the hill soon..  
    Didn't notice any pollen yet nor the other bane of summer: poison <ivy, oak, sumac, etc.>.

Because of the tick problem, I wear long sleeves, long pants and even work gloves plus this mosquito netting hat over my head.  Usually, at this time of year, one or two still find their way on my arms and/or legs but so far this season: not yet!

Got to get one of those zappers.

Plan to be on the hill Tuesday PM if you or your dogs or both need exercise.
    As of May 17, the last patch of snow from the lower Velocity headwall melted out.  A small patch remains where the large feature was at the bottom of the "Big Park" and near the top of the mountain on Satellite Summit.
    I'll have to get a picture of Joshua dressed for his glade work, he looks like a bee keeper on steroids. Fortunately there are very few kids in the woods this time of year to report  "the wild man of the mountain".

The different crews seem to be out of the gate quickly this year.
    • Requisite chairs have been pulled from all the lifts and grips removed for testing.
    • Tower pads have been pulled and stacked at the top of lifts ready for install in the fall.
    • Some snow making compressors on the Polecats have been removed for service, others look like they have been done in place. With the pump house work done last year maybe we'll see the Crotched of old re-emerging as a snow making powerhouse? (Fingers crossed).
    • Ski Patrol has started planning for new patroller class in the fall, contact Ted Ede if you might be interested. 
    NELSBEER said:

I'll have to get a picture of Joshua dressed for his glade work, he looks like a bee keeper on steroids. Fortunately there are very few kids in the woods this time of year to report  "the wild man of the mountain".
    You have no idea how pleasant it is working on the hill with no gnats and black flies buzzing around inside my ears!  That headdress that I wear is the best new tool in my ability to be productive!
    You forgot to mention the gourmet delight of having one of the bugs inhaled into your throat... where's my water bottle?
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 4,839
    Now that Killington is closed for the season, here are the 2017-8 final vertical stats for the "Trace Snow" app for those who both were top 10 at Crotched mountain and top 25 in the world:

Scott Howard:
    #1 world - 6,638.1K
    #10 CM - 130.9K

Dylan Pearse-Theroux
    #11 world - 3179.7K
    #2 CM - 1,422.9K

Joshua Segal
    #16 world - 3102.0K
    #1 CM - 2,344.6K

Joe O'Brien
    #23 world - 2,433.6K
    #3 CM - 1,727.0K