Cannon Mtn 4-9-2018

Area Skied : Cannon Mountain, New Hampshire.

Date skied: April 9, 2018 from 10:30am - 2:30pm

Weather: Clouds until we started, then cloudy to mostly sunny skies. 15F base at 10:30, 4F summit. 32F base at 2:30pm

Surface conditions: Machine groomed, packed powder, hard packed.

My son and I got a somewhat late start on Monday as the day dawned snowy and bitterly cold for April. Despite a somber looking morning, sunshine broke out as we started the ski day. My son is off to college this fall and this is probably our last ski trip together. Because of this I decided to ski Mittersill, even though the terrain available is somewhat beyond my comfort level skiing with advancing MS. My son guided me down Baron's Run and I was only able to do this because the run was groomed and had no ice. I was quite scared but I only fell twice and actually had fun.

After that we skied Taft's Slalom, Vista Way, Upper/Middle/Lower Cannon, Upper/Lower Ravine and several runs in the Tuckerbrook area. The snow stayed crisp and packed powder from top to bottom despite full sunshine.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
<p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>

Comments

Damn that looks nice.

I will say Profile is a real shame. Who's brilliant idea was it to make an upper trail on one of the windiest mountains in the East so bloody wide... could have been 2 or even 3 nice, classic trails that would hold snow. Instead it is a glacier much of the time.
  • Beautiful pictures! Looks like mid-winter, the only thing missing are the skiers.
    - Sam
    Great pics and report!
    Sad to have last weekend coming up with coverage as solid and wall to wall as it is. 
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,668

Damn that looks nice.

I will say Profile is a real shame. Who's brilliant idea was it to make an upper trail on one of the windiest mountains in the East so bloody wide... could have been 2 or even 3 nice, classic trails that would hold snow. Instead it is a glacier much of the time.
    Oh yeah, me & others have thought the same since ski one. When I finally saw Westway on Hunter this March I said same. Except there it already has a good head start on the undergrowth. They should let an island grow back in and cut their losses.

Great report Sugarloaf and pics, its so great you're out there and skiing it. With your son is even more precious. I know that much at least.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

Love Cannon!

About the wide open trails, i'm trying to figure out if the fences at the top of Westway do anything. I've seen it after a storm and other than some snow piled up behind them, they seem like a waste of money.

If you are talking about fences made of wood along the side of Westway and other trails, they are to stop falling skiers.
    Yes very nice pics, loved that windy s like trail next to profile my one day there in '05

The Tram ride and museum were great too in fall '07
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 4,668
    newman said:

If you are talking about fences made of wood along the side of Westway and other trails, they are to stop falling skiers.

Hunter Hijack: They are probably talking about up near the top there are 2 or 3 places where there are tall fence sections but short in length, located in the center of the trail and positioned across the trail. Must be wind breaks. There also may be fences along one edge as on other trails at Hunter, but I don't recall. I didn't ski it during my short visit because on day 1 only the edge of skiers left had enough snow and the rest was a lot of rocks and brush. Then it got covered by 10" of pow and looked like this pic http://nyskiblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Westway-Powder-1.jpg - but I like my skis so I rode the other trails over there like Annap, etc... instead.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    newman said:

No, the staggered sections of fence near the top that run across the trail. They look like wind breaks or avy  guards, But they're not on the steepest or widest part of the trail.
  • I believe, as well, that the staggered fences at the top of Westway are wind breaks. Without them, the wind would blow off every loose particle of snow down to hard-pack, or the ground. I do not remember them being there in the early days of the slope.

As for the Profile slope at Cannon, two tandem surface lifts used to climb up that pitch, and there was a patch of woods between them. That all changed when the surface lifts were torn down, and replaced with the chair.