Politically Correct Trail Name Changes

in The Pit Posts: 321
I noticed that between the 2016 and 2017 trail maps, Big Sky changed the name of Wounded Knee to Spotted Elk (Chief of the Miniconjou, Lakota Sioux, who was killed at the Wounded Knee Massacre). 

Have you encountered any other trails that have changed names due to their old names being somewhat politically incorrect? 

I hope we can avoid debate over reasons for name changes being justified or not, or an overall political debate. Just thought this was an interesting change.

Comments

Wounded Knee is a great name for a ski slope, too bad.  

Massanutten in Virginia had a bunch of dixie theme trail names such as rebel yell that were changed about five years ago.  I can't even remember the original names anymore.

pagamony said:

Wounded Knee is a great name for a ski slope, too bad.  

Massanutten in Virginia had a bunch of dixie theme trail names such as rebel yell that were changed about five years ago.  I can't even remember the original names anymore.

Kings Dominion just changed the name of a coaster from Rebel Yell to Racer 75.
    pagamony said:

Wounded Knee is a kgreat name for a ski slope, too bad.  

</blockquote

Dixie Dare

I remember talk of wanting Big Squaw to change its name. Does anyone remember the politically incorrect Big Squaw emblem with the girl with the feathered headband?
    The state changed the name of the mountain. The ski area still keeps the original name, but not that logo.  People are pretty quiet about it but I saw a "visitor post" on their Facebook page a week or so ago complaining about the name.

Didn't Tenney have a similarly racist logo when it was Lookout for a year or so?
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 456
    I found the girl image, but have no clue on how to post images anymore. I think the name they wanted was Big Moose Mt. I couldn't find any Lookout logos anyplace. On another note, the old Vernon Valley NJ had a half black, half white down the middle skier.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 5,277
    There's a Rebel Yell trail at Boyne Highlands

Thanks Cisco. She has quite the ski outfit. Looks like the kind of girl Captain Kirk would meet skiing on Riegal 12.
    The trail "Trump" is still named "Trump" at Deer Valley...  ;)
  • ceoceo
    If we're moving away from trail names that perpetuate ethnic stereotypes, Nashoba needs to change all of theirs. 
  • At Ragged Mtn., there was reported to me to be a trail in a region of the ski area that were both changed because some found the combination of the name of the region and the trail through it to be racist toward African Americans. 

The region is the Gorge between Ragged and Spear.  The trail going through it was renamed "Rags to Riches" (if I remember right).

210 said:

The trail "Trump" is still named "Trump" at Deer Valley...  ;)

You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 2,962
    Stratton still has a trail with the outrageous name of White Birch 

I am sure a Social Justice Warrior could have a field day at Deer Valley.

Besides Trump; (Mr) Burns lift, Lucky Bill

Red Cloud, Square Deal, Custer, Big Stick, Muldoon, Tycoon, etc....

• NJSki said:

I am sure a Social Justice Warrior could have a field day at Deer Valley.

Besides Trump; (Mr) Burns lift, Lucky Bill

Red Cloud, Square Deal, Custer, Big Stick, Muldoon, Tycoon, etc....

I think the topic is not about un-PC trail names, but un-PC trail names that were actually changed because they were un-PC..

NJSki said:

I think the topic is not about un-PC trail names, but un-PC trail names that were actually changed because they were un-PC..

Correct. Maybe a better/wider topic could be trail names that have changed for non-marketing reasons, but that may be too much overlap with Trail Names with Interesting Backstories.
    Okemo had a trail called Squaw, I know that's politically incorrect.

They also had a trail called Peacepipe, from what I read that is now considered politically incorrect.  I won't question that, since we aren't here to do that, but I am compelled to point out  that they could've saved money by just sawing the smoking mechanism part off the trail signs, and it would've been fine.
    Okemo has Chief. I'd say that's after a KC player so it's good.
    The Square Deal was a very progressive movement by the Endicott Johnson Company of Endicott, NY

• edited February 2018 Posts: 1,435
    Warrior, Chief, Tomahawk, etc. at Nashoba are not racist or politically incorrect.  Squaw is a racist and sexist term and Chief Wahoo of the Indians is most certainly very racist. 
    newman said:

Chief is not exclusively a Native American term... Fire Chief, Chief of Police, Chief of Course (ski racing)...

I don't see anything racist or improper about naming trails after things that actually existed in that culture (peacepipe, wampum, even squaw). What is not right is a lampoon of it, such as Chief Wahoo or the Big Squaw cartoon.
    What is Chief Wahoo from?
    Another was NWA wrestler Chief Wahoo McDaniel.  He was Choctaw.    Holds a punting record at University of Oklahoma, played for the Jets when I was a kid.  Fans would yell "tackle by who?.....WAHOO!"   I did not realize it was racism!

newman said:

Chief is not exclusively a Native American term... Fire Chief, Chief of Police, Chief of Course (ski racing)...

The Indian gentleman who works at the Dunkin Donuts by me calls everyone Chief, and no one seems offended.
    Thread has left the rails...
    I never got to ski at Brodie, but I am curious: As an Irishman, would someone of Irish ethnicity have been offended by the theme and trail names there?
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 5
    NJSki said:

I never got to ski at Brodie, but I am curious: As an Irishman, would someone of Irish ethnicity have been offended by the theme and trail names there?

There was a black diamond named Drunk Abusive Father...
    NJSki said:

As an Irishman, I'm not the least bit offended.