A List of Colleges and Schools that Have or Had Ski Areas

2»

Comments

Word Of Life Bible Institute up in the Adirondacks had and may still have a rope tow for student use.

Tell me about that one.  I don't even have that listed on my NY lost & open list.
    In trying to find something on the Word of Life Bible Church, I tripped over this: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/08/25/liberty

Apparently, Liberty U., Lynchburg, VA has a snowflex ski area on campus.
  • SUNY Cobleskill had a decent sized tbar/rope tow ski area. I believe all the facilities still exists, it just has not operated as a ski hill in many years.
  • I forgot this one: Houghton College in western NY has a little ski hill with rope toes.
  • Burke Mtn School owned Burke Mtn from 2000-2005
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 4,856
    Indian Mountain School
    Kent School 
    Renbrook School
    Uconn Storrs/Horse Barn Hill
    Westledge School
    Westminster School
    Wooster School

Amherst College
    Bay Path Junior College
    Berkshire Christian Academy 
    Berkshire School
    Brooks School
    Cranwell Prep School
    Deerfield Academy
    Eagle Hill School
    Eaglebrook School Part 1
    Eaglebrook School Part 2
    Easton (Eaglebrook) Ski Area (operating)
    Fay School
    Holy Cross (submitted by kayaker)
    Monson Academy
    Mount Hermon School
    Mount Hermon School/Chapel Hill
    Nichols Junior College
    Pioneer Valley Academy
    Wayland High School/Buzzy's Bump
    Williams College

Colby College
    Gould Academy
    Hebron Academy
    Kents Hill School (As per ski_it comment: operating)
    Oak Grove School
    Oxford Hills High School (Ben Barrows Hill)

Blackwater (Proctor Academy) (operating)
    Cardigan Mtn. School (Clancy - operating) (Added as per ski_it posting below)
    Cardigan Mtn. School (Pinnacle) (Added as per ski_it posting below)
    Dartmouth Skiway (operating)
    Dublin School: Several sites, (one still operating)
    Franklin Pierce College
    Hampshire Country School
    Hawthorne College
    Holderness School (Updated as per riverc0il's comment)
    Kimball Union Academy Slope/French's Ledges
    New Hampton School
    Norm Wight (See: Dublin School)
    Thomas Moore School
    Tilton School

NJ: plastic ski slopes
    Bergen Community College (Paramus) (From flbski who says he skied it in the 70s.) 
    Kean College (from rickbolger - see below)

Alfred University (Happy Valley) (edited in based on abdominalsnowman posting)
    Clarkson 2-different areas, Seven Springs was one of them.
    Cobleskill College (Frederic Bennett Rec. Area) - Cobleskill (operating)
    Colgate: Trainer Hill
    Cornell Univ.: Tar Young Hill
    Corning Community College
    Darrow School (Berkshire Farm)
    Delhi College: College Hill
    Emma Willard School
    Green Mt. College
    Hoosac School (Operating)
    Houghton College
    Millbrook School
    North Country School (operating)
    Oneonta
    Paul Smith's (2-locations)
    RPI (several locations on Campus)
    St. Lawrence Univ. Snow Bowl
    Skidmore
    West Point - Original, Delafield Pond
    West Point (Victor Constant Ski Slope, also: Silver Deposit Hill) (Operating)
    Word Of Life Bible Institute (suggested by IBRAKEFORTBARS: existence unconfirmed)

RI: None

Burke Mtn School (Burke Mtn from 2000-2005) (input from z1000307470)
    Green Mountain College (Poultney - also operated an area in NY)
    Hartford School District
    Harwood Union High School
    Johnson State College
    Lyndon State College
    Middlebury College (operating)
    Norwich University (NELSAP lists one but "oldman" above suggested there were 2 areas)
    Putney School at Elm Lea Farm
    Rutland Jr. College
    St. Michael's College
    Sterling School
    Vermont Academy (edited as per NES13: operating)
    Vermont Tech (operating)
    Windham College

Additions? Corrections?

Word Of Life Bible Institute up in the Adirondacks had and may still have a rope tow for student use.

Tell me about that one.  I don't even have that listed on my NY lost & open list.
    I just looked at the topo and aerial photo of the site and there's a possible slope on the southeast face of the hill just north of the campus. It shows as a clearing on the topo with possibly 100 vertical feet. The clearing looks smaller on the aerial; if it's a slope it's most likely overgrown.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,685

I respectively say again, the Cardigan Mountain School. NELSAP was there 14 years ago, so his linkies aren't as up to date as mine.

That last link sure looks like an operating rope tow in 2017. Looks like fun! And before you say it, there is a snowboard in one pic...even though no one is wearing it.

http://www.nelsap.org/nh/cardiganschool.html

http://www.nelsap.org/nh/pinnaclecanaan.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardigan_Mountain_School

https://cardigan.smugmug.com/January-2017/Sixth-Grade-Snow-Fun/

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 2,972
    Friend of mine learned to ski on a plastic slope at Kean College in NJ.  If you're going to count the synthetic slopes,  perhaps it was more common than we might've thought -- especially in the NJ area as one of the leading manufacturers was located in the state.  

None of these NJ slopes were nearly as fully realized as Mt Aggie or Liberty Snowflex

Friend of mine learned to ski on a plastic slope at Kean College in NJ.  If you're going to count the synthetic slopes,  perhaps it was more common than we might've thought -- especially in the NJ area as one of the leading manufacturers was located in the state.  

None of these NJ slopes were nearly as fully realized as Mt Aggie or Liberty Snowflex
    At what school is Mt. Aggie?

At what school is Mt. Aggie?
    Texas A&M.  Skied it although it was not lift serviced.
    The Gow School in South Wales (right next to Emery Park) had a small ski hill and rope tow for years. Our high and low ropes courses are next to it. They even built a half pipe on it after the rope tow went away. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." <div>Greg Stump</div>
    bmwskier said:

The Gow School in South Wales (right next to Emery Park) had a small ski hill and rope tow for years. Our high and low ropes courses are next to it. They even built a half pipe on it after the rope tow went away. 

Is  this different from the Emery Park Ski Area (Operated by Erie County Parks and Recreation)?
  • Indiana University of Pennsylvania had a ski slope with two rope tows. No snowmaking. Ran till the 90's

http://www.dcski.com/lostareas/viewlostprofile.php?id=24

bmwskier said:

Is  this different from the Emery Park Ski Area (Operated by Erie County Parks and Recreation)?
    Yes it is. If you look on Google, you'll see the school at the end of Route 400. Move down Emery Road and it crosses a small creek and there's a straight cut going east-west with a narrow center. That's the old rope tow. The line ran along the southern side. 

Emery Park is just to the north and the T-bar line is visible. As I recall it's lighted at night. Next time I get back that way I will take photos. I'll also email some friends who work there for more information. Dunno when the school stopped using it. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." <div>Greg Stump</div>
  • Very interesting about the Gow School having a tow, I had never known that.
    I think it closed not long before i taught there---1992. We had just started to take the students to Kissing Bridge to ski and were working out the logistics of moving 160 teenagers and gear to and from the mountain twice a week. 

• In New York, 2 separate locations in Oneonta, Cobbleskill

• In New York, 2 separate locations in Oneonta, Cobbleskill

Russ: The Lostny site shows 2 locations in Oneonta, one operated by the City and one by the College.  Is there another area with the college and if yes, what can you tell us about it??

For Cobleskill, all I have is Cobleskill College (Frederic Bennett Rec. Area).  Is there another area and if so, what can you tell us about it?
    Frederick Bennett Rec is owned and run by SUNY and the TBar that Whaleback will be installing used to be there installed new 1981.
    newpylong said:

Frederick Bennett Rec is owned and run by SUNY and the TBar that Whaleback will be installing used to be there installed new 1981.

Specifically, SUNY Cobleskill as mentioned in the above posting.  Do you know anything about the 2nd Cobleskill area?
    St John's University in MN had one in the early 60s when I was in school there.  Initially the rope tow was powered by a Model A and later an electric motor.
    Updated summary:

Indian Mountain School
    Kent School 
    Renbrook School
    Uconn Storrs/Horse Barn Hill
    Westledge School
    Westminster School
    Wooster School

Amherst College
    Bay Path Junior College
    Berkshire Christian Academy 
    Berkshire School
    Brooks School
    Cranwell Prep School
    Deerfield Academy
    Eagle Hill School
    Eaglebrook School Part 1
    Eaglebrook School Part 2
    Easton (Eaglebrook) Ski Area (operating)
    Fay School
    Holy Cross
    Monson Academy
    Mount Hermon School
    Mount Hermon School/Chapel Hill
    Nichols Junior College
    Pioneer Valley Academy
    Wayland High School/Buzzy's Bump
    Williams College

Colby College
    Gould Academy
    Hebron Academy
    Kents Hill School (operating)
    Oak Grove School
    Oxford Hills High School (Ben Barrows Hill)

MN:
    St John's University

Blackwater (Proctor Academy) (operating)
    Cardigan Mtn. School (Clancy - operating)
    Cardigan Mtn. School (Pinnacle) 
    Dartmouth Skiway (operating)
    Dublin School: Several sites, (one still operating)
    Franklin Pierce College
    Hampshire Country School
    Hawthorne College
    Holderness School
    Kimball Union Academy Slope/French's Ledges
    New Hampton School
    Norm Wight (See: Dublin School)
    Thomas Moore School
    Tilton School

NJ: plastic ski slopes
    Bergen Community College (Paramus) 
    Kean College

Alfred University (Happy Valley) 
    Clarkson 2-different areas, Seven Springs was one of them.
    Cobleskill College (Frederic Bennett Rec. Area) - Cobleskill (operating)
    Colgate: Trainer Hill
    Cornell Univ.: Tar Young Hill
    Corning Community College
    Darrow School (Berkshire Farm)
    Delhi College: College Hill
    Emma Willard School
    Gow School
    Green Mt. College
    Hoosac School (Operating)
    Houghton College
    Millbrook School
    North Country School (operating)
    Oneonta
    Paul Smith's (2-locations)
    RPI (several locations on Campus)
    St. Lawrence Univ. Snow Bowl
    Skidmore
    West Point - Original, Delafield Pond
    West Point (Victor Constant Ski Slope, also: Silver Deposit Hill) (Operating)
    Word Of Life Bible Institute

PA:
    Indiana University of Pennsylvania

TX:
    Texas A & M - synthetic snow mat - no lift

Burke Mtn School (Burke Mtn from 2000-2005)
    Green Mountain College (Poultney - also operated an area in NY)
    Hartford School District
    Harwood Union High School
    Johnson State College
    Lyndon State College
    Middlebury College (operating)
    Norwich University (NELSAP lists one but "oldman" above suggested there were 2 areas)
    Putney School at Elm Lea Farm
    Rutland Jr. College
    St. Michael's College
    Sterling School
    Vermont Academy (operating)
    Vermont Tech (operating)
    Windham College

Additions? Corrections?
    Not sure if NU had two hills. Lybrand is a trail off of skier's right that runs perpendicular to the main line of the chair. It tied back into the area through a long walking trail that brought skiers to a field north of the quarry. The actual trail was gnarly with a lot of natural mounds of dirt and rocks that were more or less natural moguls. Can't see how there would be a lift there and the access for the lift would not be served by vehicles. 

My old patrol director there, Sam Robinson, passed on a while ago. If anyone knew, he would've had the scoop. I can reach out to the University to try and find out but they didn't preserve much of the areas history. They weren't even sure where all of the equipment went when the area closed down. 
    Norwich University:  It appears that there may have been 3 different ski areas on Paine mountain at different times in history.  Definitely an early rope tow near where the chairlift was, and the Lybrand ski area on the North side,  which was absorbed by the development of the Goodrich Ski Area, which had the Hall double and the Poma lift.  I know for a fact that there were 2 separate ski jumps, one on the Lybrand side and the one parallel to the Poma lift on the front side.  From this article it appears there was a third small hill with a rope tow.

www.norwichguidon.com Paine-Mountain-before-and-after-

Wow, that's wicked cool, Teigh! I think I need to skulk around the Guidon more often. 

Your posting made me think about ski jumps in general. There seemed to have been a lot around for a while-- I know there was one even at Harwood Union High School in Duxbury as I've walked that hill. Was jumping that big of a deal back then? 

Has anyone here actually gone off of those jumps either for the heck of it or trained to do so? Anyone seen the jumping competition in Brattleboro? 

Oops-- I guess Harwood was not mentioned in lists of schools who had areas-- does a jump count? I think there was a tow as well. 

bmwskier said:

Has anyone here actually gone off of those jumps either for the heck of it or trained to do so? Anyone seen the jumping competition in Brattleboro? 

Oops-- I guess Harwood was not mentioned in lists of schools who had areas-- does a jump count? I think there was a tow as well. 

yes, the jump comp in Bratt is amazing, I try to get there every year!
    Yes, Harwood had a tow, remnants are still in the woods up there at the top of the hill. (or at least they were when I lived in the MRV 11 years ago!)
    D
    Blair Academy in Blairstown, NJ had a ski slope too. No rope tow.