10 Recent Topics:

Countdown to Opening Day 2014  by newenglandskier13, Sep 18, 2014 - 9:29 PM GMT - 20 Replies

Aurora tonight!  by rickbolger, Sep 18, 2014 - 2:10 PM GMT - 10 Replies

Vermont upgrade info  by slatham, Sep 18, 2014 - 1:11 PM GMT - 13 Replies

Permanently Closed Trails  by wanderingskis, Sep 18, 2014 - 1:09 AM GMT - 20 Replies

Signs of winter  by newenglandskier13, Sep 17, 2014 - 9:22 PM GMT - 18 Replies

PCMR v. Talisker: judge will sign eviction order, demands mediation  by intlski, Sep 17, 2014 - 7:39 PM GMT - 100 Replies

Detroit Mountain MN  by ski_it, Sep 17, 2014 - 1:18 PM GMT - 2 Replies

Guess This Open Area #29  by newenglandskier13, Sep 12, 2014 - 11:41 PM GMT - 5 Replies

Crotched Mt. Summer - Fall 2014  by joshua segal, Sep 12, 2014 - 10:25 PM GMT - 11 Replies

Thunder Ridge Lost?  by sotto, Sep 12, 2014 - 9:04 PM GMT - 2 Replies
 
 

 
  74 guests
0 members

Welcome Anonymous



Members logged in:

 
 
NELSAP.org | SkiMaps.com
 
 
Member Login
USER:   PASS:   Remember me  
Create new account | Lost password?
 
 
Home

Forums : NELSAP Discussion : NELSAP Discussion
Moderated by: Chris, nelsap, Betsy, the_hop

Anonymous posts are not allowed in this forum

Big Squaw, NELSAP?

Page: 1  2 
Author Post
watatic rox
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
Feb 18, 2008

Posts: 1051

Location:
Look behind you.


Posted: Dec 26, 2009 - 2:10 AM GMT

Well after seeing it listed closed on skimaps.org, I decided to do a little research. There website (which Im not sure is the current one) says they are closed for the season.
yardsale
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
Apr 27, 2006

Posts: 322

Location:


Posted: Dec 26, 2009 - 3:06 AM GMT

Looks like your not the only one - you must have talked with "redrider"

Sugarloaf chat RE: Big Squaw
joshua segal
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
Jul 12, 2004

Posts: 6693

Location:
NH


Posted: Dec 26, 2009 - 3:32 AM GMT

If so, this will be the largest cable-based lift (1700+, if I remember right) ski area in the Northeast on NELSAP. See http://skikabbalah.com/lostNY/jls_adds/large_lost_area_list.htm

__________
Joshua Segal
bigsquawkid
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
May 28, 2007

Posts: 58

Location:
Greenville/UMaine Farmington, ME



Posted: Dec 26, 2009 - 4:50 AM GMT

Every year this comes up. Yes, right now Squaw isn't running my old coach talked with Jim Confalone and he wants another 15 inches of snow on the ground before he even thinks about opening. If nothing happens in the next five years then we can will count as squaw as NELSAP. The reason why is the upper mountain is starting to really grow in.

I need some help back when the State sold squaw to the group of investors the state has made restrictions on what can and can't be done on the property. The only one I can remember is no logging. Does anyone know if these restrictions are broken how the state would go about punishing the owner?
__________
Attachments:


__________
Big Squaw, New England's Ghetto ski area.
obienick
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
Oct 21, 2005

Posts: 1540

Location:


Posted: Dec 26, 2009 - 4:52 AM GMT

In actuality, the only way to get the advertised 1750' or so is to go to the top of the mountain which is not served. According to Topo maps, the summit of the double is at 2920' and the bottom of the triple is at 1320' making a vertical drop of 1600' ... not that that's a shabby amount!
joshua segal
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
Jul 12, 2004

Posts: 6693

Location:
NH


Posted: Dec 26, 2009 - 12:48 PM GMT

Quote:
In actuality, the only way to get the advertised 1750' or so is to go to the top of the mountain which is not served. According to Topo maps, the summit of the double is at 2920' and the bottom of the triple is at 1320' making a vertical drop of 1600' ... not that that's a shabby amount!

Whether 1600 or 1700, it still has the dubious distinction of Number 1 on the list.

__________
Joshua Segal
watatic rox
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
Feb 18, 2008

Posts: 1051

Location:
Look behind you.


Posted: Dec 26, 2009 - 10:45 PM GMT

Quote:
Looks like your not the only one - you must have talked with "redrider"

Sugarloaf chat RE: Big Squaw



Ive never heard of him. Does it always open as late as this?
bigsquawkid
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
May 28, 2007

Posts: 58

Location:
Greenville/UMaine Farmington, ME



Posted: Dec 27, 2009 - 1:20 AM GMT

Does it always open as late as this?[/quote]
Squaw always opens this late in the season. Last year they opened on christmas even then it rained on or the day after christmas and was closed the rest of vacation week.

__________
Big Squaw, New England's Ghetto ski area.
johnskiismore
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
Aug 29, 2003

Posts: 920

Location:
North Woodstock, NH


Posted: Dec 27, 2009 - 3:16 AM GMT

Quote:
Every year this comes up. Yes, right now Squaw isn't running my old coach talked with Jim Confalone and he wants another 15 inches of snow on the ground before he even thinks about opening.


It just seems like such a waste! Wish it would be run properly or someone else could step in to run the place

__________
Screw My Car, My Body Climbed Mount Washington!
obienick
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
Oct 21, 2005

Posts: 1540

Location:


Posted: Dec 27, 2009 - 5:39 AM GMT

bigsquawkid, that is such a sad photo you got there. It's gotta be a lot of money to keep up maintenance on the triple and the lodge only to open once or so a year. It's a disgrace.
bigsquawkid
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
May 28, 2007

Posts: 58

Location:
Greenville/UMaine Farmington, ME



Posted: Dec 28, 2009 - 12:26 AM GMT

Quote:
bigsquawkid, that is such a sad photo you got there. It's gotta be a lot of money to keep up maintenance on the triple and the lodge only to open once or so a year. It's a disgrace.


I don't think the cost is very high. The lift runs between 25 and 32 days a year. Most place run four times that amount and the lift is never under a load.

__________
Big Squaw, New England's Ghetto ski area.
rocket21
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
Sep 13, 2001

Posts: 8888

Location:
USA



Posted: Dec 28, 2009 - 1:52 AM GMT

Quote:

I don't think the cost is very high. The lift runs between 25 and 32 days a year. Most place run four times that amount and the lift is never under a load.


While the lift may not be getting as many hours as, say, the Shawnee Peak Riblet triple, it still has to go through the same annual maintenance and inspection.

__________
NewEnglandSkiHistory.com
JerryG
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
Jun 22, 2002

Posts: 470

Location:
Portland, ME


Posted: Dec 28, 2009 - 4:19 AM GMT

The bottom line is that the owner doesn't care about operating a viable ski area, he is waiting for Plum Creek to get going so he can sell it and make a killing. The summit double has been closed for years now, but there was a rumor that work was done on the com line this past summer. Big Squaw is a fabulous area with unique New England terrain and stunning views.

__________
"Thru the darkness of Future Past the magician longs to seeone chants out between two worlds 'Fire-walk with me.' " http://33isthenew23.blogspot.com
bigsquawkid
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
May 28, 2007

Posts: 58

Location:
Greenville/UMaine Farmington, ME



Posted: Dec 28, 2009 - 6:07 AM GMT

Quote:
The bottom line is that the owner doesn't care about operating a viable ski area, he is waiting for Plum Creek to get going so he can sell it and make a killing. The summit double has been closed for years now, but there was a rumor that work was done on the com line this past summer. Big Squaw is a fabulous area with unique New England terrain and stunning views.


No one knows what is going on in Jim's head. I don't even think Jim knows sometimes. Every other year someone offers him 15 or more million dollars for Squaw so it isn't about the money to Jim. Plum Creek has tried to buy Squaw in the past and Jim still is the owner. Their was a guy who work on both the triple and double two summers ago. There are a few pictures on his website <http://www.skiliftsunlimited.com/>. Squaw has the best views of any ski area I have ever been too. It kicks Wilds Cat's in the butt. Squaw will comeback one day just because its the best site in the state for a four seasons resort. Its just a matter of time until Jim dies for this to happen since he isn't going to sell in his lifetime.

__________
Big Squaw, New England's Ghetto ski area.
anoid1
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
Dec 29, 2009

Posts: 7

Location:
York, Maine/ now Ossipee New Hampshire


Posted: Dec 29, 2009 - 11:42 PM GMT

Back in 1976 I would load my buddies in "their" car at 12 am. in the morning and we would head for Moosehead from Rollinsford, New Hampshire. I drove because I was the only one sober and as the least radicle driver, it was a good excuse! Four hours later we were at Moosehead and preparing for two or three days on Squaw Mountain. I can remember when the highschool let out at 3:30 and started back up at 7:00 so kids could ski all day. Squaw has the most fantastic view of any ski area I have had the pleasure of experiencing! The sun on Moosehead Lake as you ski down, all twinkling with ice prisms through the buffering forest, is like nothing you will see anywhere else in the country. At 10 to 20 below, at times, the clarity of the air is beyond compare! We would round out our day on the mountain in the lodge, drinking Octoberfests, One of the only places you could get it in the USA. Good times, great memories, absolutely f-ing fabulous mountain! Hope the next generation can say the same!
bigsquawkid
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
May 28, 2007

Posts: 58

Location:
Greenville/UMaine Farmington, ME



Posted: Jan 14, 2010 - 5:11 PM GMT

I have good news Squaw opened on the 9th.

__________
Big Squaw, New England's Ghetto ski area.
marcski
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
Dec 14, 2003

Posts: 2148

Location:
Westchester Co., N.Y.



Posted: Jan 14, 2010 - 6:39 PM GMT

Quote:
In actuality, the only way to get the advertised 1750' or so is to go to the top of the mountain which is not served. According to Topo maps, the summit of the double is at 2920' and the bottom of the triple is at 1320' making a vertical drop of 1600' ... not that that's a shabby amount!



If you look here: Big Squaw Trail map, you can see how there is a trail that goes further up the mountain towards the peak that starts from what appears to be the summit of the told lift. Perhaps that's where the extra 100' comes from.
yardsale
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
Apr 27, 2006

Posts: 322

Location:


Posted: Jan 14, 2010 - 8:10 PM GMT

Quote:
I have good news Squaw opened on the 9th.


And this from Squaw's face book page:

Quote:
Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been online much lately. But here's the scoop as I know it for now. Squaw opened last Saturday (1/9) with good groomed conditions on the lower mountain. Sunday the trails were un-groomed and windblown, but still skiable. The current schedule is for the LOWER MOUNTAIN ONLY to be open WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS. I'll get the prices as soon as I can. Last year (200 Rocky Rockwell cut some new trails for competition, so the lower mountain has a bit different appearance than most of you remember. More snow is needed to be able to open all of the trails, but at least we can run our kids programs. Squaw is STILL a great place for kids to learn how to ski and snowboard. Rocky and Betsy Rockwell run a "race camp" style program for kids called Red Eagle Racing (named after Chief Henry Red Eagle, not the bar :} ) and they also coach the Greenville High School Ski Team. I'm doing the Mogul Mites program again this year which is geared toward kids in K-8th grade. We teach them as never evers then give them lots of mileage until they're ready for the Red Eagle Program. Kent Rich has returned as Squaw's Snowboard Instructor (also ski instructor) and he and Robyn also help with Mogul Mites. If you need info on any of these programs just let me know. The Rockwells programs have started but I'm sure they have room for more participants. Mogul Mites starts January 24th at 10 a.m. Pre-registration is required. And if you think "this" is the year to learn how to snowboard for yourself or your kids, give Kent a call to reserve a lesson! The Mt. phone number is 695-1000, leave a message if no one answers!!
Even though we won't be skiing the top (rumor has it that Jim (Confalone)
is trying to sell some property in NH to raise money for mountain improvements), Squaw is still a great place to let your kids ski for the day. Over the years Squaw has turned out some INCREDIBLE skiers. Most recently Jeremy Cota tried out for this years olympics, Kevin Carter was on the cover of a well known magazine, Anne Rockwell is gaining speed at CVA....others like Kevin Bradford, Alex Rockwell and former Squaw skiers have made their homes in the Rockies and other Western US ski resorts. If you're a former Squaw skier and have gained recognition in the ski industry, please let me know. I'm hoping to put together a booklet of former Squaw skiers (especially those who were in a kids program) to show the Mogul Mites that even though we no longer have a big ski area in our back yard, it doesn't mean that you can't have a career in the ski industry.
Things are pretty basic at Squaw right now. The old T-Bar Lodge is open with a woodstoves, bathrooms , a ski shop with rentals, a small cafeteria with hot and cold food available, but mostly all you get is good, uncrowded skiing at a fair price. (oh yeah, there's that view, too!! lol.) But, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER drive to Squaw without calling first though, just to be sure!
And if any of you old timers would like to help with Mogul Mites, send an email or give me a call. They might even need a few volunteer patrollers, too, but I'm not sure about that.
I hope the holidays were good for you all, and thanks for supporting this Facebook group.
Maybe I'll see you on the hill???? Should we have a Group Reunion or get together??? Let me know your thoughts!

Sue Cartwright


obienick
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
Oct 21, 2005

Posts: 1540

Location:


Posted: Jan 14, 2010 - 11:15 PM GMT

Quote:
[quote]In actuality, the only way to get the advertised 1750' or so is to go to the top of the mountain which is not served. According to Topo maps, the summit of the double is at 2920' and the bottom of the triple is at 1320' making a vertical drop of 1600' ... not that that's a shabby amount!



If you look here: Big Squaw Trail map, you can see how there is a trail that goes further up the mountain towards the peak that starts from what appears to be the summit of the told lift. Perhaps that's where the extra 100' comes from. [/quote]

That ain't no ski trail! It's a hiking trail to a Fire Tower???? I hiked it back in 1997 or so and it is barely 5 ft wide.
bigsquawkid
Profile | Galleries

Rank:

Member Since:
May 28, 2007

Posts: 58

Location:
Greenville/UMaine Farmington, ME



Posted: Jan 15, 2010 - 12:49 AM GMT

Quote:
[quote]I have good news Squaw opened on the 9th.


And this from Squaw's face book page:

Quote:
Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been online much lately. But here's the scoop as I know it for now. Squaw opened last Saturday (1/9) with good groomed conditions on the lower mountain. Sunday the trails were un-groomed and windblown, but still skiable. The current schedule is for the LOWER MOUNTAIN ONLY to be open WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS. I'll get the prices as soon as I can. Last year (200 Rocky Rockwell cut some new trails for competition, so the lower mountain has a bit different appearance than most of you remember. More snow is needed to be able to open all of the trails, but at least we can run our kids programs. Squaw is STILL a great place for kids to learn how to ski and snowboard. Rocky and Betsy Rockwell run a "race camp" style program for kids called Red Eagle Racing (named after Chief Henry Red Eagle, not the bar :} ) and they also coach the Greenville High School Ski Team. I'm doing the Mogul Mites program again this year which is geared toward kids in K-8th grade. We teach them as never evers then give them lots of mileage until they're ready for the Red Eagle Program. Kent Rich has returned as Squaw's Snowboard Instructor (also ski instructor) and he and Robyn also help with Mogul Mites. If you need info on any of these programs just let me know. The Rockwells programs have started but I'm sure they have room for more participants. Mogul Mites starts January 24th at 10 a.m. Pre-registration is required. And if you think "this" is the year to learn how to snowboard for yourself or your kids, give Kent a call to reserve a lesson! The Mt. phone number is 695-1000, leave a message if no one answers!!
Even though we won't be skiing the top (rumor has it that Jim (Confalone)
is trying to sell some property in NH to raise money for mountain improvements), Squaw is still a great place to let your kids ski for the day. Over the years Squaw has turned out some INCREDIBLE skiers. Most recently Jeremy Cota tried out for this years olympics, Kevin Carter was on the cover of a well known magazine, Anne Rockwell is gaining speed at CVA....others like Kevin Bradford, Alex Rockwell and former Squaw skiers have made their homes in the Rockies and other Western US ski resorts. If you're a former Squaw skier and have gained recognition in the ski industry, please let me know. I'm hoping to put together a booklet of former Squaw skiers (especially those who were in a kids program) to show the Mogul Mites that even though we no longer have a big ski area in our back yard, it doesn't mean that you can't have a career in the ski industry.
Things are pretty basic at Squaw right now. The old T-Bar Lodge is open with a woodstoves, bathrooms , a ski shop with rentals, a small cafeteria with hot and cold food available, but mostly all you get is good, uncrowded skiing at a fair price. (oh yeah, there's that view, too!! lol.) But, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER drive to Squaw without calling first though, just to be sure!
And if any of you old timers would like to help with Mogul Mites, send an email or give me a call. They might even need a few volunteer patrollers, too, but I'm not sure about that.
I hope the holidays were good for you all, and thanks for supporting this Facebook group.
Maybe I'll see you on the hill???? Should we have a Group Reunion or get together??? Let me know your thoughts!

Sue Cartwright

[/quote]

Sue is great Mogul Mites is how I learned to ski back when Mickey Cota was the person in charge. I love Squaw it is why I love living in Greenville. The view always gets me every time. It isn't a bad hill. The lower mountain is kinda flat but its home. I'm just waiting for Squaws version of the Berry's to come along and make the place the best 4 season resort in the state. There isn't a better location.


__________
Big Squaw, New England's Ghetto ski area.

Page: 1  2 

Thursday September 18, 2014
Home : Privacy Policy : Terms of Use

Header image: Crotched Mountain (NH)

All logos and trademarks on this site are property of their respective owner.
© Copyright 2001-2006 by SnowJournal.com -- All Rights Reserved.

Network Services by Intercarve Networks
Powered by SnowFlake Content Management System - Version 1.0-beta5.2 (private)