Miles driven for season passes

in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,096
Some of you/us are lucky to live very close to a ski area, and if you buy a season pass, relatively low mileage would be incurred.

Others of you may buy a season pass for a more distant ski area 1-3 hours away or more. If you do, how many miles do you put on per trip? Per season?

Post your thoughts below.

For me, I've thought about getting a season pass again somewhere (for a few years I had a midweek Stratton/Okemo Pass and was also a member of Ski Venture), but I like to roam so much that it would likely be unpractical, except for maybe West Mtn. My work schedule is such that if I got a midweek pass, I could get 1-2 hours in several times per week at night after work, which would result in a minimal mileage of 6 miles extra total for the commute.

Comments

I drive 219 miles and 3 1/2 hours one way to ski at Caberfae Peaks in Cadillac, Mi. Last season I went 8 times,so I drove around 3,500 miles just to ski my season pass.
    I have a full season pass at Killington (2 hrs. each way), although more often than not, I go on day x and ski all day, stay over night; then I ski and go home day x+1. It came out to a bit over $20 per day for the lift ticket.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 795
    This is not the angle you are researching, but last year I did a 7000 mile road trip to use my Mtn Coll Pass for about 16 days at eight ski areas out west. The pass cost $400, the travel and logistics to use it cost several thousand dollars ;)
    127 miles each way to where we stay at Plattekill and another 10 miles each way to the mountain. And, we go pretty much every weekend from New Years to 1st weekend in April.
    I bought my first season pass 2 yrs ago at Caberfae and drove 80 miles there and skied 5 times for $100.

Last yr I bought a Michigan white gold card entitling me 1 day at 33 Michigan areas for $269.using it 1 day at Boyne mtn/ Highlands and Nubs paid for it, wish I got an upper peninsula trip in but didn't happen.

This year New Hampshire roughly $350 for 8 days , no season pass
    60 miles round trip x how many times I go this season. First time season pass holder in 20ish years. If anyone hits up the Middlebury Snow Bowl this season let me know!
    Betsy would love to meet you in NH in January

Ibrake too
    Ugh that means I would need to do some math to answer this one..... It will also make me feel ungreen.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • It is 195 miles to our place in Vt. It is 7 miles to Stratton and 9 miles to Magic. We get season passes at Stratton and go about 3 out of 4 weekends from Dec until closing in April.
    Looks like I'm at 215 from NJ to Mount Snow house. Only 96 to Jack Frost though, so have been heading there about few times a year. Didn't count the number of trips to MS, but I figure it's at least 2 a month between Nov and Apr.
    Jay any chance of bringing girls to NH?
    I'm 134.4 miles from my house in CT to my Condo at Mount Snow, add in a few trips out while up there each weekend, and I'm usually 300 miles a weekend for what looks to be 22 to 24 weekends this year. Add in the then trips to different ski resorts for my kids races for about 10 weekends and then a half dozen or so trips to local hills mid week while home in CT for extra race training, and over the course of a full season it's about 9 to 10,000 miles of driving annually
  • ^I'm going to just copy/edit DrJeff's post because mine is pretty similar....

I'm 160 miles from my house in MA to my house in Lincoln, NH. Plus 30 miles RT to get to Cannon each day. Adds up to ~380 miles for a weekend of skiing. Usually ~25 weekends/weeks a year. So that's 9,500mi for skiing on the Cannon season pass. Also have a pass at Sunday River which we'll hit 10-12 times at 150mi RT, for another 1,500mi per season.
    So, all in ~11,000mi to ski on the passes each year. Plus other non-pass days.
    ciscokid said:

Jay any chance of bringing girls to NH?

There's a better chance of just me, but you never know. I have been following the NH plans. It's just terrible timing for me since I'll be off for Christmas week and we might be moving a school around then (no town variance yet). Anyway, I'd love to get back up to Black, but that's a haul. Sunday at Crotched is more likely. Would be great to actually ski with everybody!
    I have done 160 each way from my home in the Baltimore area to Blue Knob in PA
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 4,667
    ski_it said:

Ugh that means I would need to do some math to answer this one..... It will also make me feel ungreen.

Okay I did the math and now Mapnut will know where I live... again.
    205 mi 3:40 each way to Wildcat. I only did one day trip there last year out of 4 ski visits.
    135 mi 2:30 to Mt Snow, 100 mi 1:45 to Crotched. Hunter & Attitash are about the same and 20 mins closer than Wildcat.
    So my 2017-2018 totals are for all areas, 5255 miles which doesn't include side trips.
    Pass only total 4675 miles.
    My trip to Jack Frost, Big Boulder, Hunter, Plattekill & Mt Snow covered 815 miles ski area to ski area.

And should I include my summer chairs? I'm at 3-5 at Mt Snow this year.

One thing I noticed is that all the east coast Peak Resorts are the same distance either my house or Mt Snow, except Hunter and Mt Snow of course.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Treilly said:

I drive 219 miles and 3 1/2 hours one way to ski at Caberfae Peaks in Cadillac, Mi. Last season I went 8 times,so I drove around 3,500 miles just to ski my season pass.

I should also mention that this is a day trip for me. So 7 hours of driving to ski a 400"-450" hill.
  • Wachusett around 180 miles round trip. Hoping for 3x a week this year, no weekends no holidays blacked out.