Ciscokid - Where was this t bar? Holiday Valley NY late '50s

edited May 2018 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 5,277

Comments

That looks like one of Whitecap’s old Halls

That looks like one of Whitecap’s old Halls

Nope
    Carinthia, where the heavy metal chair is now?
    Those t’s are Roebling makes (the hangers give it away) but the towers and sheaves sure look like Hall.
  • dvadva
    Looks vaguely like the old main T-bar at Snow Ridge in Turin, N.Y.!  However, the lodge design and position relative to the lift base look wrong, as does the small hill behind the parking lot, so........hmm.

Those t’s are Roebling makes (the hangers give it away) but the towers and sheaves sure look like Hall.

Pretty sure this is 100% Hall. Most very early Hall T-bar installs had those straight sided hanger
    arms as well. It seems like the crescent shaped arms were a later
    design, and got retrofitted onto earlier lifts at some
    point.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 5,277
    No to all, my patience is strong

As far as make or brand that's up to you guys to figure out.

All I know is where and when.( no longer running, has been replaced)

And Ted you stay out for now
    My only other guess is that the lift make is a Constam, one of the later models. Hall borrowed and improved upon the Constam design following the patent expiration or Hall’s assumption of the patents, as I recall.
    Move on to WHERE
    I don't know brand
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    What's this new LIKE thing?
    I don't do facebook
    That’s a Hall: the physical clues are too obvious.
    Ok patience is thinning

Modern version/addition to lodge courtesy of Mr Reilly image
    I think this just might be the old Hall t-bar at Holimont.
    So so so close I think I'll award ibrake victory

rhttps://www.holidayvalley.com/about/history/history/
    Ah: it’s the old Tannenbaum t-bar at Holiday Valley
    And that t-bar was a Hall!
    Ted says all the lift towers are in my favorite turquoise aqua color!image

Ted isn't that the Yodeler lodge?

I'm trying to find a old HV trail map
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 5,277
    '57 was Yodeler t bar, '58 lower Tanenbaum
    ://www.holidayvalley.com/upload/photos/page_587_history_time_line.pdf

https://www.holidayvalley.com/upload/photos/page_587_history_time_line.pdf
    ciscokid said:

'57 was Yodeler t bar, '58 lower Tanenbaum
    ://www.holidayvalley.com/upload/photos/page_587_history_time_line.pdf

https://www.holidayvalley.com/upload/photos/page_587_history_time_line.pdf

Whoops!
    :D
    Ahhh, very sneaky. Getting everybody excited for the proposed trip.
    jaytrem said:

Ahhh, very sneaky. Getting everybody excited for the proposed trip.

Exactly. Guilty as charged, hmm Ciscokid? ;))
    Yup I'm a big sneaker and yes I'm trying to sell a snowjournal gathering
    Yup I'm a big sneaker and yes I'm trying to sell a snowjournal gathering
    That's why I posted the link to the get together that mentions Holiday Valley, unfortunately I couldn't link directly to a specific post so the thread loads with rbolger's bumper stickers. 

Hence why I then posted a request to Bartholomew, our Admin, to look into that feature. I guess my sneaky ways were not noticed...
    :-/
    You ski because even if you don't do it well, it's still a blast....
    ciscokid said:

Ted isn't that the Yodeler lodge?

I'm trying to find a old HV trail map
    Yes that is the Yodler Lodge
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 1,032
    Tannenbaum-- that's the old Upper Area Warming Hut--- Cal, with the battle axe used to be the lift attendant. 

The old Middle Chalet was two stories with a deck on the second story and the picnic area-- the Broken Ski Pub on the lower level. The parking lot to skier's right of the lodge in the photo stretched all the way down to just above the Middle Chalet and was connected by a small road that could be closed to keep people from sliding down into the stream by the old garage, where the Freestyle Center and Patrol Room are now. 

The shack over that way is the top of the Sugar Plum Rope Tow as well. That had the coolest and most intricate base set up with the rope coming on high and going through a Rube Goldberg series of pulleys made out of old automobile rims until it dropped down to ground level to have you pulled out of your boots by the rope. It was FAST. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." <div>Greg Stump</div>
    Rope tows like that I gotta see! Any in the Midwest using old rims forcing the rope in a serpentine series?
    The second Cisco is the new Main Lodge--- That's Cindy's Slope Quad in the foreground and Mardi Gras in the background going up skier's left. Buchan Ridge is behind. 

Family friend used to own that land--- bought it in the fifties. Sat on it for years and years until a developer approached him in the 80's, Bud later showed me mother and father with  a grin one of the checks with two comma's in the figure!
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." <div>Greg Stump</div>
    bmwskier said:

Tannenbaum-- that's the old Upper Area Warming Hut--- Cal, with the battle axe used to be the lift attendant. 

The old Middle Chalet was two stories with a deck on the second story and the picnic area-- the Broken Ski Pub on the lower level. The parking lot to skier's right of the lodge in the photo stretched all the way down to just above the Middle Chalet and was connected by a small road that could be closed to keep people from sliding down into the stream by the old garage, where the Freestyle Center and Patrol Room are now. 

The shack over that way is the top of the Sugar Plum Rope Tow as well. That had the coolest and most intricate base set up with the rope coming on high and going through a Rube Goldberg series of pulleys made out of old automobile rims until it dropped down to ground level to have you pulled out of your boots by the rope. It was FAST. 
    bmwskier said:

Bmwskier, hope you can make it in January, we will try to arrange the weekend around you and Woody and ibrake, hope you can show us around and reminisce and tell stories of the old days of yore at HV
    Absolutely! I will try and digitize all of the old super eight film I have from my parents taken when we were growing up that includes the old lifts, and other things we did as well.