Alpinezone Down???

in NELSAP Forum Posts: 123
Been a good three/four days the site has been unreachable, before that it was touch and go for a solid week or so. 

Comments

It has been down for a few days, but it seems to be working for me now.  For how long, who knows?
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 745
    Was up briefly yesterday. Seems to be down again.
    I haven't been able to access for the past four/five days.
    I have not been able to get on for 4-5 days now and I just tried and it is still not working.
    It's a shame because there was a lot of quality content on there from years past. At least in the case of Epic there was an announcement and a timeline that allowed for some degree of archiving. It looks like AZ is just abandoned.
    I'm kind of surprised, it would seem as though May 1st the site started going down and within a day or two it went offline for basically everyone. The main board was very active right up until the last time I logged in, even a little more than we are on here (which seems to be steadily growing and growing which is really great to see having been a long time 1.0 member). I'm assuming it will come back at some point here, but that is starting to seem unlikely.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 745
    When it did come up for me the other day there were no recent posts in the main forum. Didn't really look elsewhere, figured they fixed the problem, guess not.
    Just checked their Facebook page. Seems they're aware of the issues and trying to fix.
    I know from his Facebook page, that Nick, the owner of AZ, has been at Disney with his wife and young kids the last few days.  Might have something to do with the slow response time....

Also, ever since his and his wife's fitness/lifestyle coaching business took off and they moved from MA down to Florida a year or so ago, AZ seems to be much more of a secondary thought for him than it used to be
    No love lost for me.  I haven't been on AZ for years.  To be honest, I thought it started to go downhill ever since Gregg sold it to Nick.  IMHO, there were just too many yahoos over there there that it started to detract from their good content. 
    marcski said:

No love lost for me.  I haven't been on AZ for years.  To be honest, I thought it started to go downhill ever since Gregg sold it to Nick.  IMHO, there were just too many yahoos over there there that it started to detract from their good content. 

yup! Only worthwhile threads of recent were the Haystack and Magic ones..

marcski said:

yup! Only worthwhile threads of recent were the Haystack and Magic ones..
    I read the Sugarbush and Mount Snow pages. Sugarbush is generally good, with a few people attacking each other over minor things. Win Smith posts on it very often and is great to have a resort owner answer your own questions.

Mount Snow has some good questions with the mountain responding. There are a few bad people (who I have chosen to block, as they are trolling) that just discuss partying on the mountain and detract from the healthy discussion of mountain operations and future expansion.
    It looks to be back up now

It's a shame because there was a lot of quality content on there from years past. At least in the case of Epic there was an announcement and a timeline that allowed for some degree of archiving. It looks like AZ is just abandoned.

A lot of good content and a lot of good posters too.  Certainly wish some of them would make there way over here.  (abc, JCB890, Trailboss, Glenn, even Benedict Gomez Come to mind).  

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    Its up now
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    Alpine Zone is down again, at least since yesterday for me.
  • Still down for me too. It would be a shame to lose all of that archived information!
    Okay, I thought it was just me.
    <span style="color: rgb(7, 133, 176); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><a href="https://madpatski.wordpress.com">Ski Mad World</a></span><br style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><span style="color: rgb(62, 62, 62); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography</span>
    Seems AZ was down for very similar reason(s) this site goes down from time to time.

From what Dr Jeff posted there from the AZ Facebook page,

"Working on getting the site back up. We had some hacking on the wordpress plugins that affected the site that are being resolved. Will be back as soon as possible!"

Here's how it plays out on SJ....

1. Bots/hackers attack, bandwidth usage goes off the charts, host server shuts down the site until site operator (in this case, me) can update software or reinforce the defenses.

2. Host sends me an automated email when it happens, which tends to be at 3:00 AM or so.

3. I contact hosting company. Host will unlock the server to a single IP address so that I can work on the site. At that point it's a scramble to update, patch, whatever we (sometimes Chris pitches in) can think of/are told to do.

4. Then we tell the host what we did, and they check it out. After verifying that their servers are safe once again, the host service will unlock the site.

If they don't think everything is secure, they come up with other things to address, so the process repeats.

Usually I get this fixed in a couple hours.

AZ runs on Wordpress, so they have a lot of resources to fix things via the Wordpress community. SJ runs on Vanilla Forums, which doesn't have nearly the install base of Wordpress. But the advantage is that Vanilla is a lot simpler, requires a lot less maintenance, and doesn't have nearly the same number of hackers trying to figure out how to hack in.
    <span style="color: rgb(51, 0, 51); font-family: Arial;">Hooper drives the boat, Chief.</span>
    Thank you, do your best that’s all we ask for.