Bretton Woods 4/16/2018

ski_itski_it expert
edited April 17 in Trip Reports Posts: 2,177
ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA

Comments

• sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    edited April 17 Posts: 988
    Bretton Woods, those stairs where a real PITA for me with no hand rail to hold onto.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited April 17 Posts: 2,177
    Yep. I also could have used a railing yesterday. These pics are from 11am.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    IMG_7103.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 563K
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    I skied there on April 8th and the conditions where great, with packed powder surfaces and easy for me to ride HSQ' s.

The lodge however is not ADA friendly with the Mt Everest of stairs out of the parking lot and even more steps to buy lift tickets.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• ski_itski_it expert
    Anyone notice thing odd in the pics?
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    ski_it said:

Anyone notice thing odd in the pics?

The PVC pipe under the snow, emptying on to the deck, or does it go the other way and the deck floods?
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    You were inside
    1 person in 2 pics
    The Bethlehem express
    Don't know
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited April 17 Posts: 2,177
    Yes all those things, but 1 person in 2 pics at 11am was what I was looking for.

Bretton Woods last day of the season Patriots Day 4/16/2018. I believe they were offering 21 trails, 2 lifts, machine groomed, 1-2" of new "snow", $17.76 tickets plus an early season voucher for next season. 28-30°F cloudy with sleet and rain. High SW winds forecasted but wind has affected lift operation only 15 out of 5798 days at Bretton Woods.

We had stayed over on the eastern slope and for the second day in a row had to chisel a 1/4" of ice off the car. It had snowed/sleeted/rained 1-2" but the winds were calm, so I was hoping the forecast for Bretton was off. I was also hoping the temp. would rise some to miss the boiler plate like at Wildcat Saturday, so we got a late start.
    Wrong on the wind. As soon as we rose out of Crawford Notch the wind hit us.  At 10:30 as I was carrying two pairs of skis around the back of the lodge and a gust of wind hit me like never before. It pushed me along and I almost went down. Skis were flying off the rack. Then I noticed the lift closed sign. It was still running at a crawl with no one in line. Inside, at first they weren't going to sell us tickets because they were on an indefinite wind hold. The patrol wasn't let anyone hike up either. Finally they relented and gave us tickets and next years vouchers, but warned they could be on hold for hours. Almost immediately they start giving early/late season vouchers to people turning in today's lift ticket. Shortly thereafter they put up signs they were closed. They never made an announcement, but we shared the news with several thankful skiers after they got their 2nd voucher. So now its only only 16 out of 5799 days. We sat in the emptying lodge and had our lunch. For what its worth, the coverage looked great and people said the skiing was very good. A patroller later told me the lift was having icing issues as well.

Some guy was irate at the service desk, he had driven 3 hours from Massachusetts for nothing. Hey buddy! We spent 3 days up here and got 5 runs in. 5 at Wildcat Saturday, we didn't ski Sunday figuring it would more of the same, and zero Monday at Bretton. We ran into someone who said the skiing was ok Sunday at Wildcat. We choose to not to believe him given the conditions report. 

We did get to spend a couple hours at the Eastern Slope Ski Museum on Sunday. I really enjoyed that. Its open 9-4pm, same hours as the lifts!

Driving home through high winds, slush, sleet & rain heading towards Franconia Notch we noticed some trucks parked before entering the highway. Mrs Ski_it asked if they ever get blown over in these type of winds and I replied, yes it can happen..those guys are smart to wait this out. The coverage on Cannon from the highway at about 1pm looked really good for so late in April.
     I-93 was posted as 45 mph and to Slow Down. Some people just don't get it and continue to drive like it is dry pavement going as fast they can, not allowing more space between vehicles, etc., etc... We counted 4 fresh spin outs. Finally below Westford, MA or so it was just driving rain.

Later in the news I hear that were 3 separate tractor trailer crashes closed both sides of the highway around 2:30pm in the notch due to the high winds.

• ciscokidciscokid expert
    Hey glad your safe, you drove through some hairy stuff this winter( to Pa, etc)

Thanks for thinking of joining us in NJ, it's the thought that counts
  • TomWhiteTomWhite expert
    Sk_it thanks for the report. I'm glad my friend and I didn't go to BW on Monday.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited April 19 Posts: 2,177
    Tom if you got their early/on time you might have enjoyed it. So I’m told
    Cisco, yeah winter driving.. we all do it. The deep snows weren’t bad but the few slush events were sketchy.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited April 19 Posts: 2,177
    The Eastern Slope Ski Museum has a Lost Area interactive display. I believe JD told us about it. But let me tell you again, it’s pretty cool. What I didn’t figure out right away but Mrs Ski it did is that it displays by date ranges. Other visitors had the same issue. But after figuring it out I was stuck in front of it for a while.
    The other thing is they have displays on every surface available. After making one circuit I saw I missed stuff and had to go back around.
    The rack of skis thru history was even better. They even had a couple models I owned. Even a Sno Snuffer, but that must have an even an earlier model than the yellow one I tried as a kid.