Where's Spring??

1st weekend in April and I'm blowing off another day because even at Camelback its below freezing, cloudy and no chance of soft snow. (hard as a rock comes to mind)  Hoping the 48 tomorrow in NYC translates to at least 40-45 with sun for an afternoon tomorrow.  (end rant)

As a lover of good spring skiing I'm hoping the next 2 weekends produce some warm temps and plenty o sunshine. (oh yea soft bumps)  Need some spring.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Comments

• Spring looked great today in Maine with a powder day and soft spring skiing later
    - Sam
    Last weekend (3/31 & 4/1) had some good spring conditions at Burke and some GREAT spring conditions at Loon.
    Today (4/7) flirted with spring at Cannon. It was so on the edge that every cloud made a difference. A shot of sun would instantly soften things up. A passing cloud would firm it up again. Fortunately there was slightly more sun than clouds.
    imageWhen you can ski powder on April 7th, who needs soft spring bumps. (Plus, like Cannonball said, last Sat was 50 with soft bumps!).
    To answer the initial question, "Where's spring"? 
    The answer: Jan. 10 to Mar. 2.
    Yea Marcski I heard the Cats got snow.  NY tv didn't comment on it so I found out too late or I would have hit Bell yesterday.  

Supposed to be nice the end of this week but channel 2 in NY said weather late next weekend could get wild and temps drop again.  Hoping to hit Killington  next 2 weekends.

And Josh, Joe Bastardi said that due to the way the ocean currents are setting up we may see a series of late (or backside) winters in the coming years. 

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Just be wary of Bastardi - he always picks and chooses cold events, cold evidence etc for his predictions/climate posts - and usually ignores any warm events. A lot of misinformation on his Twitter feed. I'm not saying that we won't have late winters - just be wary of what he posts.

Last weekend (3/31 & 4/1) had some good spring conditions at Burke and some GREAT spring conditions at Loon.
    Today (4/7) flirted with spring at Cannon. It was so on the edge that every cloud made a difference. A shot of sun would instantly soften things up. A passing cloud would firm it up again. Fortunately there was slightly more sun than clouds.

I know, I know Cannonball.  I'm just looking for those "beach" days with plenty o sun and warm.  Best I can say now is that we are not losing too much base.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    4aprice said:

I know, I know Cannonball.  I'm just looking for those "beach" days with plenty o sun and warm.  Best I can say now is that we are not losing too much base.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    The tough thing about not losing snow at this point is areas will close before we get to those great spring days. We've had some okay spring conditions but we are still missing those extended stretches of short sleeve t-shirt weather. The new snow was nice yesterday but I'd rather have 60*F no wind and a blue sky. 
    You all may get your wish for some spring weather - next Sat could by 70F across much of NY/New England as the warm front now moves through faster (subject to change)
    Packed powder here at Bretton Woods from start at 9am to quitting at 1:30
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
    riverc0il said:

4aprice said:

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    The tough thing about not losing snow at this point is areas will close before we get to those great spring days. We've had some okay spring conditions but we are still missing those extended stretches of short sleeve t-shirt weather. The new snow was nice yesterday but I'd rather have 60*F no wind and a blue sky. 
    You and I are on the same page Steve.  My home bump (the mighty Camelback Pa) closed today with a ton of snow on the trails (close to 5ft of base at spots)  They could go another 2 weeks if they wanted.  They even had 500 walk up sales today.  

I'm rooting for sunny and warm the next 2 weekends.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 104

Spot-on assessment regarding Cannon yesterday.  Edges were beautiful but got some mashed potatoes atop ice later on.  Great day nonetheless. 
    I was thinking that would be it for 17-18 but i sill haven't put 'em way
     yet.  
    I'm skiing Cannon tomorrow and it's forecast to be sunny and unseasonably cold.
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>

To answer the initial question, "Where's spring"? 

The answer: Jan. 10 to Mar. 2.

;))
    Really cold at Cannon today. 15F at the base and 4F at the summit when we started at 10:00am. Only 32F at the base when we quit at 2:30pm
    Where's Spring? Who knows? One forecaster said it looks like we'll have cooler-than-normal-weather until the end of April. You never know about the weather, especially in New England.For example, on May 9, 1977, in Worcester, we had 13 inches of snow. That storm hit a lot of central and southern New England and eastern New York State. Since the leaves were on the trees and the snow was wet and heavy, many limbs came down and took many power lines with them. Lots of people were without power for several days. It was interesting but not a lot of fun.
    I'll post sometime this evening, but yesterday at Mt. Snow was a bluebird, January-Feb type day with dry snow, powder in the woods, and fantastic coverage. I want to say a once in a 10-20 year type conditions for April 9. Nobody on the lift could believe how incredible it was.
    Past 4 days at Mount Snow were spectacular. 6" of snow Friday afternoon into Saturday morning. Eveyrthing was refreshed and woods were riding very well. It became soft on Sunday and yesterday (Monday) with bluebird skies. With how empty it was yesterday, I set a new personal record of 3.5 minutes from top of bluebird bubble back to line at bluebird bubble.
    Today at Mt Snow was fantastic. It snowed the entire time there from 11- close with midwinter conditions everywhere. Refills every run. Spring? It can wait.
    Spring skiing is arriving this weekend and beyond. We haven’t seen it this good this late in decades SO LETS GET OUT THERE!!!
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 544
    Remski said:

Spring skiing is arriving this weekend and beyond. We haven’t seen it this good this late in decades SO LETS GET OUT THERE!!!

I'm seeing high temps for K-mart of 36 and 39 with windy conditions on Sat and Sun....not really spring skiing temps yet.

In fact, 2-4 is predicted for Thursday and another 2-4 for Thursday night...Friday could be a decent powder day!

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-72.80518251036007&lat=43.6183142576443#.WtaEwpch1PZ

• edited April 2018 Posts: 74
    A buddy sent me this.  Taken near the top of Sugarloaf 4/21 2:55 pm.  He reports it's winter up there, wall-to-wall top to bottom.  Sure wish I still had legs enough to do it!  Forecast for a lot of hiking in May.

Try again.
    I found Spring at Mount Snow today.  Along with great skiing including on natural trails and in the glades.  May have to go back for closing day tomorrow!
    Snowing down to lake level at Mirror Lake NY.

loafasaur said:

A buddy sent me this.  Taken near the top of Sugarloaf 4/21 2:55 pm.  He reports it's winter up there, wall-to-wall top to bottom.  Sure wish I still had legs enough to do it!  Forecast for a lot of hiking in May.

wow !   mid-winter picture.  I wish I was there too.  
    Snowing across Northern N.Y. and Vermont above 1'500'.
    Sugarbush web cams show snow falling... http://www.sugarbush.com/mountain/webcams/
    I rode Sugarbush today. Rain up until Heaven's Gate and falling a good clip at the summit. It was a blessing to be riding in non-Rain. I checked the higher summits forecast for Mansfield, they should be getting 9+ tonight.
    For Glens Falls, NY, this April will likely end up as 2nd coldest since records were started in 1947 - just 0.2 degrees warmer than 1972. Projected monthly average will be 38.9, normal is 44.6.

The average high will end up being 48.8 +/- 0.1 degrees -and that WILL be the COLDEST average high temperature for any April - only one other April had an average high under 50 - 1956, at 49.8.

The average temp for May is 55.3, so there is a potential for huge month to month jump in average temperatures, 16 degrees if we have just an average month.

JD