Rating the 2017-2018 Season Versus the Last 11 Years

Comments

• edited February 2018 Posts: 203
    Kayaker said:

if we didn't have that cold weather around Christmas there would not have been as much snowmaking in southern New England and probably not as efficient snowmaking in northern New England.  Although it clearly hurt sales, without the very cold weather this year would have been a big disaster in southern New England.   

I'll take you down to Pennsy.  My whining about this past weekend aside, Camelback "the home bump" has done an impressive job of making snow this year with base depths not seen in quite while.  They should be able to go quite a while.  Good job there.  Will be testing that base this weekend as I refuse to travel Presidents Day weekend.

In weather model land things have taken a turn.  Looks like the west is in for the love for a little while (good for our March trip).  The turn is the southeast ridge which seems stronger then initially modeled.  Now they are forecasting a really strong ridge (probably too strong) for the next 15 days

Northern New England my battle back and forth for a while.  Best bet north of  line from Glens Falls NY to Portland Maine.  Those of us south of there will probably be spring skiing on what we got for while.  Dodge the rain and I'll be happy.  

Can't give up on March yet.  Last year behaved in a very similar pattern in February and we had a very productive March and early April.  Hopefully lightning strikes twice.  

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • Kayaker said:

if we didn't have that cold weather around Christmas there would not have been as much snowmaking in southern New England and probably not as efficient snowmaking in northern New England.  Although it clearly hurt sales, without the very cold weather this year would have been a big disaster in southern New England.   

Disagree: 15 degrees is quite adequate to make high quality snow without chasing guests away.  You know just how cold it is when Mad River, Wildcat and Killington actually shut down for a day - and a few others (including Stowe) ran just a few token lifts to maintain the appearance of being open.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 1,811
    Mount Snow is down to 36 open trails, yikes. Next week looks warm and wet. I'm skiing Catamount tomorrow and somewhere in New England this weekend before the next thaw.

Ski areas just can't catch a break this year.
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
    sugarloaf said:

Mount Snow is down to 36 open trails, yikes. Next week looks warm and wet. I'm skiing Catamount tomorrow and somewhere in New England this weekend before the next thaw.

That's got to be due to icing.  No way they lost all those trails due to rain and melt. 

Next rain storm I saw doesn't seem to to be that big a deal.  The warmth should actually be a good thing and I would expect trail numbers to be pretty good for the holiday weekend and I would expect it to be busy.  

I could actually get into the warmth for the rest of the month if we can avoid untimely rain.  I would think that most of your snowmaking terrain should be able to withstand any thaw and I love warm and sunny skiing (especially if there are bumps).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    If the 10 day forecast pans out we have an unmitigated ski area visits disaster of a year, and a Thanksgiving to April ski season that will be in desperate need of a "Stella" like storm or a locked in March storm pattern. So disappointing after what this winter had potential to be.
    4aprice said:

sugarloaf said:

That's got to be due to icing.  No way they lost all those trails due to rain and melt. 

Next rain storm I saw doesn't seem to to be that big a deal.  The warmth should actually be a good thing and I would expect trail numbers to be pretty good for the holiday weekend and I would expect it to be busy.  

I could actually get into the warmth for the rest of the month if we can avoid untimely rain.  I would think that most of your snowmaking terrain should be able to withstand any thaw and I love warm and sunny skiing (especially if there are bumps).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    </blockquote

The snow report says rain and melt, they had 1" of rain on Sunday

<p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
    Mt. Snow is down to Chute, Fallen Timbers, and River Run on North Face. Looks like they could use more EB5 money about now.
    sugarloaf said:

It's raining steadily here in N. Connecticut and its a cold rain. Per webcams, it's raining all the way up to Bolton Valley, but folks are still getting out.

The extended outlook calls for snowfall possibly on Friday and into Saturday morning for Central and Southern New England. The GFS also has a GLC with rain for all of New England on 2/19 - 2/20.

Model land strikes again.  Just when you think your out (or given up on the ski season for us) they pull you back in.  

That GLC from a few days ago might go south of us and be frozen.  The super strong Southeast Ridge, not so strong, blocking showing up for March.  I'll take repeat of last spring please

I think we go through this every year. Skiing in this part of the country can drive one insane if you let it. I know this all too well and still freak out everytime it happens.  

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ 
    Skied Catamount today and it was basically groomed crushed ice, AKA loose granular. The place was deserted with only a handful of people on the slopes.
  • 7 day forecast appears to be looking relatively warm throughout the northeast with a couple periods of seasonal temps.  While this isn't great for long-term conditions, I think Presidents week will be good for resorts throughout the region.
    The Arctic cold front coming through on Thursday into Friday is going to make for some interesting skiing conditions this weekend.

My son has ski club on Friday night at Berkshire East, but it looks like the skiing will be fairly awful with rain and rapidly falling temperatures. Hopefully they will groom Friday evening, but I kind of doubt it.
    I'm trying to decide where to ski this weekend. We wanted to ski at Jay Peak, but it looks like they're not going to get the 3-5" originally forecast for today.

We might just wait and ski packed powder on Monday if we get the 4-6" forecast for Southern Massachusetts.
    newman said:

Mt. Snow is down to Chute, Fallen Timbers, and River Run on North Face. Looks like they could use more EB5 money about now.

Or they were just waiting a few days for the temps to warm up and the snow to soften on its own so the bump skiing fans wouldn't see multiple trails getting winch cat attention. 

Most of the Northface was back open this morning, and skiing well per my wife, at least until the winds started gusting and the NF went on wind hold.....
    This one is slipping down the ranks by the day... :((
    Skipping back to 2015-2016 pretty quickly for me.
    Sunday and early Monday might not be that bad in SNE if we get the coastal storm. 60's on Tuesday and Wednesday will melt a lot of snow at the local ski areas.
    newpylong said:

Skipping back to 2015-2016 pretty quickly for me.

That was a bad one and can't say it's that dire yet but its certainly been trying on the patience. 2011-2012 was worse.

Still several mets that I follow are still somewhat bullish on March so its too early to give up hope.

My home bump really took advantage of the early cold and put down quite the base so even with the warmth they should be ok for a while.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    4" new snow at Stowe with 2-3" At MRG.
    Mt son and I watched the ski jumping in Brattleboro and then he decided to ski Magic in the afternoon. The conditions looked so bad he passed on skiing.

Only 12 trails where open with large icy patches near the base of the Red Chair. There was no line for either lift at 1:30pm. They will probably have to close by Thursday with the incoming torch.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,839
    And here we go again: 2/18/18: 6" of beautiful fluff; 60 degrees on Tuesday.
    I'm heading up to Mount Snow tomorrow and it should be good for the first half of the day weather wise.
    sugarloaf said:

I'm heading up to Mount Snow tomorrow and it should be good for the first half of the day weather wise.

Get your turns in early!
  • And here we go again: 2/18/18: 6" of beautiful fluff; 60 degrees on Tuesday.

Weather changes, snow melts. There is absolutely no getting around that. Skiing transpires in the present. This is like saying "here we go again: it's Saturday and I have the day off, but Monday is a work day"

Your standard measure of conditions is typically not about whether they are good or not, but only whether the good conditions occur at the appropriate time for vacations and the industry. 6" of beautiful fluff on the first Sunday of school vacation week should be a great thing then. No?

Cannon was busy today. Loon was mobbed today. Other reports are similar. That's good right?

And here we go again: 2/18/18: 6" of beautiful fluff; 60 degrees on Tuesday.

Weather changes, snow melts. There is absolutely no getting around that. Skiing transpires in the present. This is like saying "here we go again: it's Saturday and I have the day off, but Monday is a work day"

Your standard measure of conditions is typically not about whether they are good or not, but only whether the good conditions occur at the appropriate time for vacations and the industry. 6" of beautiful fluff on the first Sunday of school vacation week should be a great thing then. No?

Cannon was busy today. Loon was mobbed today. Other reports are similar. That's good right?
    Sugarbush mobbed both days. Finally a holiday weekend with crowds.

I have been on the hill 5+ days per week this season since after Thanksgiving. It is a below-average one so far, but hoping March comes through with some snow. Some wonderful conditions here and there, but on balance, unimpressive. I am sure balance sheets are suffering, which is sad.
  • And here we go again: 2/18/18: 6" of beautiful fluff; 60 degrees on Tuesday.

Generally disagree.  IMO in a good season, a 6" snowstorm provides more than a day or two of superb skiing.

Crotched, like those areas you mentioned above, had its busiest day of the season, but I suspect it's because there is a general realization by skiers that the totality of the upcoming week is not going to be memorable.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 681

"Generally disagree.  IMO in a good season, a 6" snowstorm provides more than a day or two of superb skiing."
    Ok, we will just have to disagree on that one. I don't EVER recall 6" of snow providing more than a day or two of superb skiing. Even at low traffic resorts 6" is long gone in 1-2 days regardless of temps. And even more so if those 6" fall on busy weekends of vacation weeks.

In fact, the 4" that fell at Cannon was great this morning, but completely skied off by 11am. What happens 2 days from now it is irrelevant to the snow that fell today.
    I guess I visited the only ski area empty during a holiday period
    Well if our home bump is any indication then at least some of the economic pain was muted this weekend.  When we left the ski area yesterday about 2 ish they were lined up all the way out to I-80 trying to get in and they may of had to turn away people as I don't know where they could have parked them.  The wife and I were shaking our heads and thinking there is no way we would sit in traffic like that trying to get in to ski.  It's was exactly the reason I will never travel to ski on a holiday weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    Mt Snow was great today with packed powder and some icy spots. The wind at the summit is very strong as warm air floods in. It's a normal weekend buzy with the GSE being skiing on or a 5 wait.
    North Face and Sunbrook lifts are ski on.

Its was 15F at 8:00am and its now 42F.
    sugarloaf said:

Mt Snow was great today with packed powder and some icy spots. The wind at the summit is very strong as warm air floods in. It's a normal weekend buzy with the GSE being skiing on or a 5 wait.
    North Face and Sunbrook lifts are ski on.

Its was 15F at 8:00am and its now 42F.

Similar contrast here in CVT. 12 this morning at 7; now well over 40. The winds are going to do the damage to the snowpack. Some lifts on hold.