Marathon Skiing

My "birthday marathon" (reported in http://www.snowjournal.com/discussion/1299/crotched-mountain-2017-2018#latest) yields the question, where, besides Crotched Mountain can one ski 70 or more runs in a single session.  

Places like Stowe and Wildcat with high speed chairs that rise 2K vertical allow for 100K vertical days, but with much less than 70 runs.

The combination of the high speed lift and the length of time that the mountain is open are what make this possible at CM. I can't think of another area in the east (over 500 feet vertical) where one can get that many T2B runs in a single day as one can get at CM.

So: what other areas (in the east) offer the opportunity for 100K+ vertical or 70+ runs in a single (regularly scheduled) session.

Comments

• This can be done at pretty much any area with 300 vertical feet or under.
    - Sam

I know.  That's why I said, "over 500 ft. vertical" in the opening to this thread.

I know.  That's why I said, "over 500 ft. vertical" in the opening to this thread.

Sorry, didn't see that
    - Sam
    An uncrowded Wachusett or Jiminy (I know that uncrowded is a bit od an oxymoron when it comes to both of those resorts...  ;) ) could yield one a 50+ run day going bell to late night bell, not sure about 70 runs though....

Just need to think of resorts with a 5-6 minute or less highspeed lift and a relatively straight shot, well maintained run(s) down, so that one can log 7-8 runs an hour and then just have the stamina to keep that pace up until the lifts stop spinning and the lights get tuned off for the night....
  • I ski Blue Mt. on weeknights. With both high speed lifts running there is never a line at the HSQ. I get about 15 runs in over two hours without pushing to set any records, just skiing. Without a lift line or an extended lift stoppage you could get 70 runs in under 5 hours for a total of 72,660 feet of vertical.
    The vertical of the Sullivan HSQ at Camelback is 791 ft. You could easily get 70 runs in a day there as well without a lift line for a total of 55,370 feet of vertical.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 445

I am going to suggest that this can be done at Mountain Creek's Bear Peak Express.

Vertical is 666 feet, and travel time of about 3.5 minutes (as per SkiResortInfo.com)

So that tells me that with a combination of speed, youth and Red Bull, someone could do 10-12 runs per hour.

Mountain Creek rotates their schedule in terms of what lifts open early, and stay open late, but Bear Peak Express regularly has days that it opens early (8:00am) for passholders, and stays open until 9:30-10:00pm. (even later on holiday weeks)

Quick math says 100+ runs per session is possible. Of course, like Crotched Mtn, it also depends on lift lines.

Saint-Sauveur Quebec is one, with its near 700' vertical, and steepish trails under the Atomic Quad, with night skiing as well.
    DrJeff said:

Just need to think of resorts with a 5-6 minute or less highspeed lift and a relatively straight shot, well maintained run(s) down, so that one can log 7-8 runs an hour and then just have the stamina to keep that pace up until the lifts stop spinning and the lights get tuned off for the night....
    What about that main lift at Camelback?

• DrJeff said:

I should have said the Stevenson Express in my last post is 791 vertical feet. The Sullivan in front of the lodge is 659 vertical feet but I'm sure you could do it on that as well.
    You could do it on the 6pack Challenge Express at Blue Mt. as well without a lift line.

I think you'd have a better shot at 70 runs on the shorter lift at Camelback, using Asp 

Pretty sure I wouldn't make 70 runs on the longer lift 
    ;))
  • I think you'd have a better shot at 70 runs on the shorter lift at Camelback, using Asp 

Pretty sure I wouldn't make 70 runs on the longer lift 
    ;))
    The HSQ at Shawnee would be an even better bet. Not sure of the vertical on that one but the horizontal may be longer.
    ;))
  • So I guess 70+ runs are doable with almost any area with a Hi-speed detachable that is open more than X hours per day where X depends on the vertical of the lift.  At Crotched,  X= between 8 and 9.

For example, even on a Sunday starting at 8AM and finishing at 4PM, it would not be doable at Killington's Superstar HSQ.

Places where one can do 100K vertical in a single day where I know for sure that it has been done are Wildcat and Crotched. 

DrJeff said:

I can do 10 runs in 1 hour off of Sullivan Quad.  

The 1st tracks deal (7:30 - 8:30 weekends) is great.  10 runs before GP, 25 before any crowds, and 30-35 by lunch.  Yo-Yoing is Camelback's forte.  Will be doing it this coming holiday weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • 4aprice said:

DrJeff said:

I can do 10 runs in 1 hour off of Sullivan Quad.  

The 1st tracks deal (7:30 - 8:30 weekends) is great.  10 runs before GP, 25 before any crowds, and 30-35 by lunch.  Yo-Yoing is Camelback's forte.  Will be doing it this coming holiday weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    Looking forward to your report!
  • According to Trace I did 17 runs in 1.5 hrs at Cannon Saturday. That included a few top to bottom runs. So theoretically I could have done ~80 runs during the open hours that day. Realistically/physically there's no way I personally could do that!!
    Could no doubt be done at Bristol in NY. Might be one of the bigger vert ones, they claim 1200 vert in about 4 minutes.  Holiday Valley would be an easy one, they have couple shorter HSQs that would do the trick.  
  • I don't know if you'll be able to beat this one for number of runs. Wachusett is open from 8 am until 10 pm on weekends and the Minuteman Express takes 3.5 minutes to ride. Assuming each run averages 1.5 minutes, you'd be able to ski 168 runs in a day if you didn't stop. At 600 vertical feet, this would add up 100,800 vertical feet total.
    - Sam
  • What's the record for Stein's Challenge at Sugarbush? I remember hearing men get into the upper 40s. Given the lift is now a little faster, but still not high speed.
    mtsnow123 said:

What's the record for Stein's Challenge at Sugarbush? I remember hearing men get into the upper 40s. Given the lift is now a little faster, but still not high speed.

Not sure, but I seem to remember a debate about Super Bravo being faster even with the traversing.
    Morning Star Express at Holiday Valley is a 2.5 minute ride with 517 vert (2580 length).  They're open from 8:30-10 on weekends.  Would probably tough to find a better fit.
  • jaytrem said:

mtsnow123 said:

What's the record for Stein's Challenge at Sugarbush? I remember hearing men get into the upper 40s. Given the lift is now a little faster, but still not high speed.

Not sure, but I seem to remember a debate about Super Bravo being faster even with the traversing.
    If it's fast and you ski, I could totally see that, but your energy would be greatly lost compared to popping off the Valley house and being right there.