What was your shortest ski outing?Shortest ever for me 1.5 hours Cannonsburg Mi 1/13/18

edited January 2018 in Trip Reports Posts: 5,277
Didn't want to drive 150 rt miles and pay $47 liftopia to ski w Ted and Jim knowing next week is the Boynes Nubs trip but still wanted to excercise the legs so I made the 49 mile rt jaunt to little local Cannonsburg by myself to probably take as much time taking pics as I skied.
I called ahead to make sure the triple was open and so all 3 Halls were spinning. Once again more peeps tubing than skiing. Zip lining has really grown here. Seems skiing is way down. Of course the lodge was busy w 15 degree temps but I had to get some flow readying my legs for next weekends marathon.
Used the white gold card towards the $37 wkend rate. Very small crowd for MLK wkend

An hour and a half was all I could take

What was your shortest ski outing?imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

Gateway Hills Snow Park - 1 hour 9 mins and 43 seconds. Skied every run multiple times
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    I don't know if this would count, but when we were at Sunday River in the early 90s, we took advantage of their "ski free the first hour to test conditions", got 3-4 runs in, and then went to Mt. Abram for the last day of the vacation.

JD
  • Shortest? Hmmmm
    Probably four hours at Powderhouse Hill because they are only open from 12 until 4 on weekends.
    - Sam
    Two runs at Camelback. Then got removed by police and tossed out.
    Do tell
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    newman said:

This sounds like a story worth hearing!

I live right at the mountain, so there have been a number of times that I have gone out for an hour or so.  When I was "collecting areas", I often went out for an hour or two to such small areas as Hartwell Hill, Hemlock Hill, Ski Valley (RI), etc.
    newman said:

Yea Newman you mentioned that in another thread
    Just observing lifties and shack attendants today, one young man and a buddy and a older guy with a name tag were at the Hall triple listening to classic rock. The young guy remembered me from New Yrs day tubing, was impressed. I said yea you were the guy with the cold feet.
    Another "dude" sat in the lift shack at the top smoking not even watching. Well they are " up to" $9.25 min here.
    I hope to do a couple/ few 2 hr jaunts in the UP in a few weeks i.e. Big Powderhorn/ Indianhead / Blackjack
    And Pine Mtn( Pabst) Brule
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 4,839
    Oh, back in the late 60s and early 70s, I lived about 1.5 hours from Killington.  You didn't need a lift ticket for the first hour, the theory was, you tested the snow for free and if you bought a ticket, there was no refund.  

On a number of occasions on weekends, I'd be waiting in the lift line by 7:40AM and the lifties would usually let us on by 7:50AM.  The old Killington (Yellow) Chair was about a 20 minute ride.  At 8:10 +/-, I headed for the Glades poma (replaced with a chair in the early 70s and renamed the North Ridge) and ripped about 7 runs and at about 8:53 tore down East Fall and got back on the Killington double at about 8:58.  After the ride up, I took a leisurely run down, took off my boots and was in my car headed home by 9:30AM. Keep in mind,  I was a grad student with no money; gas was less than 20 cents per gallon - so I'd get about 7K vertical for $1.20 of gas.

Oh, back in the late 60s and early 70s, I lived about 1.5 hours from Killington.  You didn't need a lift ticket for the first hour, the theory was, you tested the snow for free and if you bought a ticket, there was no refund.  

On a number of occasions on weekends, I'd be waiting in the lift line by 7:40AM and the lifties would usually let us on by 7:50AM.  The old Killington (Yellow) Chair was about a 20 minute ride.  At 8:10 +/-, I headed for the Glades poma (replaced with a chair in the early 70s and renamed the North Ridge) and ripped about 7 runs and at about 8:53 tore down East Fall and got back on the Killington double at about 8:58.  After the ride up, I took a leisurely run down, took off my boots and was in my car headed home by 9:30AM. Keep in mind,  I was a grad student with no money; gas was less than 20 cents per gallon - so I'd get about 7K vertical for $1.20 of gas.
    Wow what a cool story
    Don't remember gas at 20 cents, I didn't buy it till mid 70s. I think it was 70-80 cents but probably wrong.

I defininately remember gas at $.99 March '99 when I flew from Ohare to Jackson Hole
    That's when I got the whole ski , air , lodging pkg for less than $400. Back in the day when with the exchange rate go to Panorama BC for a week, air , skiing slopeside hot pools for $500!
    Wildcat a couple years ago - 1 run and that was it - too icy for the snowboard!!!!   That's why I have season passes - no guilt and I can always find something to hike nearby to make the drive worth it!!!   :)

Gateway hills - maybe a half hour last year - too many runs to count - on skis so any runs are almost too many   :)

Arrowhead - 2 or so runs - not fun on snowboard as broken leg was still healing.   
    becca_m said:

Arrowhead - 2 or so runs - not fun on snowboard as broken leg was still healing.   
    An advantage of skiing: You only need one leg :-)

• edited January 2018 Posts: 1,417
    Two runs at Killington on Superstar when I arrived at 4:45 with a 5 pm closing time. Just missed getting a third run by a minute or so.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 4,667
    This doesn't count but after spending the night at my friends camp we pulled into the Cannon tram lot. I got out to unload. "Where the heck are my boots?" "You idiot, you forgot your boots?" says my friend. After some more fumbling about in the back of the car he says sheepishly, "I forgot mine too...umm its rainy you want to just pack it in and go to the Ski Museum instead?" So we did
    ski_it said:

This doesn't count but after spending the night at my friends camp we pulled into the Cannon tram lot. I got out to unload. "Where the heck are my boots?" "You idiot, you forgot your boots?" says my friend. After some more fumbling about in the back of the car he says sheepishly, "I forgot mine too...umm its rainy you want to just pack it in and go to the Ski Museum instead?" So we did

This is snowjournal, candid recounting of precious ( sometimes odd) ski trips and museum visits

I've told this story before, but --- 2 runs at Saddleback around 1970. We ventured up to Sugarloaf after a major thaw-freeze; without benefit of the Internet we thought they might have got snow. But they didn't and the whole mountain was closed. They told us Saddleback had got 2 runs open so we went over there. But it was like skiing on sharp ball-bearings, so we quit after two runs, afraid of what could happen if we fell.

Other than that I don't think I've ever quit earlier than 2 p.m., usually when conditions were slushy and I was skiing badly. One of those days was at Hunter in spring and after I quit I watched the pond-skimming contest, and then went for a nice walk at North Lake State Park.

newman said:

Lets hear it Newman.  ;))
    ~Rich~
  • I've done many one-and-done days.  

I've done many one-and-done days.  

not "many" but yeah.  my most notable was Stowe, April 2008

I've done many one-and-done days.  

Ditto. Often the last day of the season, just to enjoy one final run for the season without killing myself in the mashed potatoes later on in the day.
    Shortest Season Pass day... Plenty of one and done's... Sometimes because of the weather and/or snow conditions, other times because I may literally only have time for 1 run to make the logistics of travel that day work AND get me some hill time

Shortest "I actually bought a lift ticket" day.... The 1st day of the World Cup at Killington in 2016.  It was also my birthday. I knew that I was going to be spending more time watching the race and the pre-race kids parade for VT resort jr ski racers that my kdis were in.  But I WANTED to ski on my birthday as well!!  1 ride up the K1 gondola.  Great Northern down through Northridge and Snowdon back to K1 lodge, and 1 my 1 and done day was over!
    45 minutes Timber Ridge Mi 2/3/18
  • ceoceo
    Yesterday at Nashoba, with younger kid. Got there too late to put him in a lesson and discovered that my boots no longer fit and were incredibly painful. Packed it in after an hour or so of laps on the magic carpet. Only trip this season so far, for various annoying reasons.
  • Once a week I go to Blue Hills in Canton, ma on my way home from work and ski for about 1.5 to 2,0 hours. It is intentional though and not based on poor conditions.
    Two hours at West Mountain on the way to a Junior Ski Patrol Seminar at Pico. Back then it was too dangerous. We were riding up one chair and in the woods was a chair that had fallen off of the cable and they left lying in the woods. No joke. We then moved as a group to the next chair and I reached over my shoulder for the restraint bar and it wasn't there. Our advisors then packed us back into the cars and we headed for our motel for the night. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." <div>Greg Stump</div>
    Does 0 hours 0 minutes count?  Drove to a ski area only to find out they were closing in 5 minutes early due to weather. Snow report/website mentioned nothing about it an hour before.
    Total of about 45 minutes from arrival to the end of my skiing that day. It was on in Decembera few years ago, on my first day on skis that season. I was at Wachusett,  fell on my left shoulder and cracked the bone just below the joint . I drove to the hospital E.R.  They x-rayed it, and  sent me to an orthopedic who put my are in a sling and said don't ski for a while.
    Jeff Crowley called me and mailed back my season-pass check. Five weeks later, in early February, I went back to Wachusett, saw Jeff, told him he couldn't get rid of me that easily. I was back on the mountain in five or six weeks. As I recall, it turned into a pretty good rest-of-the-season.
  • Hmm I think my shortest was about an hour and a half.  It was my at mountain creek showed up late the day after a snow storm it was packed it was also my birthday.  I did about 5 runs off the bear lift in the singles line.  My wife called me and said one of my girls was sick and she had to take the other girl some place in a few hours.  At that point I realized that my triple play card had yet been scanned so I decided to head home with a birthday present of a free day of skiing from mountain creek.
    :) 
    Do-mi-ski in Quebec. Two runs, maybe 350 vert each, went up by snowmobile rather than a lift. Total time maybe 10 minutes. We're closed due to cold, but the manager took pity on me. Was offered more rides, but it was pretty dark and figured I could knock off another place if opened, they did. Unique day, only time I ever skied 4 areas in one day, have never done 3.