Locals "shocked" that you drove xx hours to ski

in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,096
On the gondola multiple times yesterday, other skiers were quite surprised that I would drive 2hrs and 20min south to go ski there, even though for some of them, they had driven the same distance or further but north. I got this reaction at Butternut a few years ago, which is only 90 miles away but SE of me.

What areas have the "locals" shocked that you would ski at a certain mountain? Do you find it is because:

1. You drove the "wrong way" i.e. headed south to ski?
2. The area is small and they can't believe you'd ski hours to go there?
3. They think there are "better" mountains closer to where you live?

JD

Comments

• The mountains I've got comments like that are: Black Mountain, Me (3 hrs), Arrowhead (2.15 hrs), Otis Ridge (2.75 hrs), & Dartmouth Skiway (2.5 hrs).
    - Sam
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 101
    I got a similar comment at Campgaw.  My kids were 6 or 7 at the and we were at my in-laws for the holidays.  They live about 3 or 4 miles away and it was an opportunity to get out of the house for a few hours one afternoon and play in the snow with my kids.  Time well spent. 
    I get comments when I am at Mount Snow, as I have to drive 3 hours south to it from Burlington. They are right that it's not as good riding (most of the time), but it's because the family has a ski house down there. Many people from CT are driving 3 hours north to get to Mount Snow.
    I drive 3 hours and 20 mins to Ski Caberfae in Cadillac Mi. There are 4 places within an hour of me, but they are smaller and they only offer a 7 day a week season pass for $300-400. I get a weekend season pass for $99. If four of us go we take a F350 quad cab with a camper in the bed (which works great for tailgating) and split the gas so it cost me $20. If I go by myself it cost me $30-35 for gas. A lift ticket near me is $45 plus the gas. I do get a lot people who can’t believe I drive a little 3 hours one way just to Ski the day
    My kids were incredulous that I drove an hour to Northeast Slopes when we live minutes from Sugarbush and MRG. After an hour of skiing NES, they "got it".

Ditto when we went to Cannon/Mittersill the year before and Hickory a few years earlier.

• edited January 2018 Posts: 214
    I got that look when I skied Mount Snow when I was in college. Mount Snow was about 3.5 hours south from Lyndon State College, and I had a 4:30 class that day. Many many a ski day were had with this glorious class schedule of the first class starting at 4:30 on Mondays and Wednesdays. :)

Though I 'spose this is true for most places I ski now as I have to drive south from Milton, VT to go skiing most anywhere. Smuggs is basically due east, and Jay is the only one I go only a little bit more north to get to.
    Jonni, did you really leave LSC at say 6am, go to Mt. Snow, and then get back in time for class, all in the same day?
    At least the places you guys are talking about are bigger than 400-450’ vertical
    Treilly said:

At least the places you guys are talking about are bigger than 400-450’ vertical

Not NE Slopes...350, max
    Campgaw, less than 300'
    Fly and drive to Bear Paw in MT.  It was like we were celebrities for the day, pretty funny.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 4,667

I've lost count.

Some that come to mind:

Power Ridge, CT - 1:50 and south some. Especially when I related I took a day off and bought a helmet for the first time just to ski there. Drove to Mt Snow afterwards too to ski there the next day.

Titcomb Mtn, ME - 3:45 but stayed over. Cue the Maine accent, said dryly  "We had someone from Massachusetts here before...(dramatic pause)...once." I think he was kidding, I think.

Mount Prospect, NH - 3:15 "Where you from? ah, huh, so you have a place (camp, second house) nearby, ah, huh...you drove all the way from Massachusetts?? JUST TO SKI HERE? FOR THE DAY???" "Ah yep!"

Lonesome Pine Trails, ME - 7:30 not a day trip. It's Fort Kent. IT'S FORT KENT.

A lot of people ask where my camp or second home is, because I assume they think that has to be the only reason I'd visit this area.

Winter Park, CO - 30 hrs. A bunch of us actually drove here in a van. Then from a hippie ski bum on the chair lift after learning I was from the East on spring break, "So when you'all college boys & all them Texicans going home, anyway?" Implying, I don't give a flying bleep where your from, just leave my bleeping ski area. Same kid that told me if God wanted Texans to ski he would have made sdufvpbiqwhr white.  

All my college/camping buddies from NJ some who've had timeshares at Jackson, condos in VT are pretty sure I'm insane. Who am I to argue with them? "So let me get this straight you drove 3 hours north went by what..3-4 perfectly good well known ski areas to ski where????? 

As I've related before I did a day trip to the Balsams 4:20, kinda by accident then afterwards onwards with ill advised trip to Canada to buy beer. Only the Border guard thought we were crazy. Only?

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    I get this all the time when skiing VT. People can't believe I would drive 2-2.5 hours each way for a day trip. Used to have to drive 3-4 hours to get to NoVT when I lived in MA for a day trip! Heck, used to not be able to day trip a place like Jay. 2 hours day trip to Jay is almost half the time compared to when I lived on the North Shore. Not necessarily "locals" that make those comments, a lot of weekenders don't understand day tripping at all. I don't understand their not understanding, lol. 
  • A lot of people can't fathom why someone would drive by bigger (i.e. "better") mountains to ski something smaller.  I remember spending a weekend in Vermont skiing Middlebury, and locals scratching their heads about why I didn't just go to Killington.

That being said, NewEnglandSkier13, I must admit I'm a little in awe of someone who would drive 2.15 to Arrowhead. 
    :-O
    I go through the whole explanation of Boyne's chairlift history when I tell them a 20 something yr old is flying out from Vermont to ski in Michigan.

I like that bs white line ski_it
    The only time this happened to me was being questioned by people in the office (NYC) for driving to Plattekill rather than skiing Hunter or Windham. This particular day had 18" fresh and the other areas didn't even reach a foot. Those "skiers" really didn't get it, and I was fine with it.
    Not driving, but when I flew out to Colorado with a group of friends to ski A-basin in the middle of June several years ago, a group of locals we met in a pub thought we were loco.  To top it off, when we did the same thing the following June, we met up with the same group of locals who recognized us.  We now see them on every trip out.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 4,667
    ciscokid said:

I like that bs white line ski_it

I think they now sell bumper stickers with that on it. And I saw some kind of ad in Skiing Mag. implying something about Texas... now I got to go look.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    I got that when I was at Okemo last year. One guy was surprised when I told him that I lived near Burlington. 
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 795
    I drove six hours solo round trip for a day-trip last week and I'm going to do it again tomorrow.  People don't bat an eyelash at that around here (mid-Atlantic) as folks do it all the time.  I would prefer to do it with a buddy, but sometimes that doesn't work out, esp on weekdays.

Longest day trip I've taken was four hours each way back in the 1980s, and I had a second driver with me on that trip.

Have done the drive from VA to CO or UT about ten times since 1976.  Enjoy it for the most part.  Hope to drive from VA to Revelstoke and back this winter via UT, WY and more.

About 1100 miles a day is my max.  Now that I am in my mid-60s I start getting cross-eyed if I drive more than about 8 or 10 hours straight. so we'll see how it goes for this Revy/Banff trip.
    Found it. It's a 2 page spread for Snowbird with someone buried skiing in billowing powder with just their head and one pole visible. Left side shows one out of 5 stars. Heading- Disappointed.
    "Are the people who operate the grooming equipment on strike or something? Was hoping for a little more corduroy to dig my ski into."
    Elizabeth, Dallas TX
    Is it sarcasm or ... IGWTTSHWOMBSW ?
    Full disclosure: I have outlaws in Houston. They ski too
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 1,329
    Heck there's a bunch of us second home owners who ski basically, if not every, weekend the mountain they own at is open each season, who have many neighbors and friends from where our primary residences are, who can't fathom that we make the hours drives we do (from my house to my condo at Mount Snow is no traffic and clear roads 2:45 each way, I have friends who live in the NJ/out on Long Island who have 4:30+ each way) for 20+ weekends in a row each and every ski season!!

So sometimes it can be the "locals" where you live who are more surprised about your ski related driving habits/times than the "locals" where you're skiing!!
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 5,277
    ski_it said:

Found it. It's a 2 page spread for Snowbird with someone buried skiing in billowing powder with just their head and one pole visible. Left side shows one out of 5 stars. Heading- Disappointed.
    "Are the people who operate the grooming equipment on strike or something? Was hoping for a little more corduroy to dig my ski into."
    Elizabeth, Dallas TX
    Is it sarcasm or ... IGWTTSHWOMBSW ?
    Full disclosure: I have outlaws in Houston. They ski too

Excellent!
    Yea remember Breck '98, my bro law from Kansa city had a business bud from Dallas w , always waiting for for the 'plower. Finally split off to ride the tbar by myself
    Would like to see a pic ski it
    The year was 1972.  I was living in Troy, NY when I and a couple of buddies decided to go to Whiteface.  One of the three of us fell asleep in the back seat and was surprised when we ended up at Paleface instead.  It worked out OK.  We caught some powder stashes that would have long since been skied out at Whiteface and it was the only time I skied Paleface, long since on the lost area list.
    Deserving of large print Josh!image
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 74
    riverc0il said:

Ski_it wrote:

I've lost count.

Some that come to mind:

Power Ridge, CT
    - 1:50 and south some. Especially when I related I took a day off and
    bought a helmet for the first time just to ski there. Drove to Mt Snow
    afterwards too to ski there the next day.

Titcomb Mtn, ME - 3:45
    but stayed over. Cue the Maine accent, said dryly  "We had someone from
    Massachusetts here before...(dramatic pause)...once." I think he was
    kidding, I think.

Mount Prospect, NH - 3:15 "Where you from? ah,
    huh, so you have a place (camp, second house) nearby, ah, huh...you
    drove all the way from Massachusetts?? JUST TO SKI HERE? FOR THE DAY???"
    "Ah yep!"

Lonesome Pine Trails, ME - 7:30 not a day trip. It's Fort Kent. IT'S FORT KENT.

A
    lot of people ask where my camp or second home is, because I assume
    they think that has to be the only reason I'd visit this area.

Winter
    Park, CO - 30 hrs. A bunch of us actually drove here in a van. Then
    from a hippie ski bum on the chair lift after learning I was from the
    East on spring break, "So when you'all college boys & all them
    Texicans going home, anyway?" Implying, I don't give a flying bleep
    where your from, just leave my bleeping ski area. Same kid that told me
    if God wanted Texans to ski he would have made ;reugbpiqo white.  

All
    my college/camping buddies from NJ some who've had timeshares at
    Jackson, condos in VT are pretty sure I'm insane. Who am I to argue with
    them? "So let me get this straight you drove 3 hours north went by
    what..3-4 perfectly good well known ski areas to ski where????? 

As
    I've related before I did a day trip to the Balsams 4:20, kinda by
    accident then afterwards onwards with ill advised trip to Canada to buy
    beer. Only the Border guard thought we were crazy. Only?

Ski_It, the massive quest you undertook--and accomplished--to ski every open area in New England was way more than impressive!  We, the "eccentrics" who appreciate such things, should acknowledge it.  Have you compiled a travel-logue?

One thing I couldn't help noticing:  I did a day trip to the Balsams 4:20. 

And then you went into Canada and back????

;))

No travel-logue really. I tried to grab all the trip reports from SJ1 but of course the pic links didn't go with them.

This was pre-internet. I still have the ticket but there is no date. I think it was pre 1987. I've told the story on SJ1 but yeah 2 couples took a day trip to Wildcat and we when got there they were closing the place down due to high winds IIRC. So my buddy says, "Hey you want to go to the Balsalms..we've never been there & no time like the present?" So we all said, "Why not."

Apres ski, we all agreed, "We should pop over the border and pick up some of that high test Canadian beer." Remember when the strongest beer in the states was Heffenreffer or Heineken? Just a few things wrong with that idea. It was Sunday, it was southern Quebec farm country, my command of the language is horrible. There was nothing up there for miles except farms, cows, a couple houses and churches. I think we passed one general store. Everything was closed up tight. Anyway, coming back over the border at the tiny customs shack the guard asks, "What was the purpose of your trip?" I couldn't resist. "To get beer."  I'll never forget the look on his face. He's confused, "What-t-tt?" "er, I mean sightseeing." We drove all the way home below Boston, 5hrs. Just a little day trip to Canada.

I'm wondering what kind of reaction we'll get when next week we're skiing at a 400' vertical, one chairlift area in Quebec..."You came all the way from Saratoga to ski here?!?!?"
    More like, "Américain fou! Ils sont complètement fous."