2017-18 Omens

edited August 2017 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 1,435
Usually we have an omens thread around now. I can't find one.

Today in northeast MA while chopping down a holy bush, I saw two wooly bear. They weren't too fuzzy, though more black than brown.

Comments

The Redsox are going to end the month of August in first place.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,667
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    On Mt. Washington they are expecting the 2nd snow of the season which began on July 1st.They recorded a trace on July 31st and are forecasting more snow tomorrow night when a decent cold front moves through with temps dropping into the low 20's. That's right on time for the 1st blast of winter up there.
  • I don't have the data to support it but it seems to be one of the cooler Augusts in recent memory.  No?
    Been one of the cooler summers in recent memory. The pattern we have been stuck in seems to not want to budge. Hopefully it stays this way for winter. 
    ~Rich~
    Saw red maple leaves on Mount Monadnock & Crotched Mountain in the last few days, not a lot but trees looked healthy,
    Sam Adams Oktoberfest Beer & a number of Pumpkin Ales are out; snow blowers have replaced lawn care products in the big boxes.

Mount Snow said 80 days until opening mid-week and K-mart should be at about 60.

• edited September 2017 Posts: 4,839
    By the way: I'm not sure if it qualifies as an omen but with Killington typically having their snowmakers on standby nominally by Oct. 10, we are down to 40 days until snowmaking begins and less than 50 days until we're making turns!
    I'm thinking that late Summer into Fall rains that are cooling the environment in the Northeast like today 9/3/17 is a good omen. Season of 70/71 started this way and it was a blockbuster season. Not only that but this rain and more to come will fill all those snowmaking ponds and we all know what that translates too.
    Just some thoughts on a rainy Sunday.
    Remski said:

I'm thinking that late Summer into Fall rains that are cooling the environment in the Northeast like today 9/3/17 is a good omen. Season of 70/71 started this way and it was a blockbuster season. Not only that but this rain and more to come will fill all those snowmaking ponds and we all know what that translates too.
    Just some thoughts on a rainy Sunday.

I think you bring up a very good point and I concur.  I'll be more current then you and bring up the summer of 93 which was cool and wet and produced a great winter in 94.  Lets hope that "40/70 Benchmark " is the target this year.  

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    SKI Magazine's equipment issue is out. They never met any equipment they didn't like.
    Yes I just received a copy. IDK why...probably because I went to the ski show last Nov?
    ski it, I think that if you go to a ski show or Warren Miller movie and fill anything out with your name and address, you'll get SKI magazine. I get a postcard every year telling me i'm going to get it unless I send the card back saying I don't want it. Actually, I get two, one to Bill, one to William. The price is right - zero, and worth  every penny - so I keep getting it.
  • Bill29 said:

SKI Magazine's equipment issue is out. They never met any equipment they didn't like.

They weren't hyping equipment: It was "gear".  And what wasn't gear was a 50+ page ad for Deer Valley!
  • Bill29 said:

They weren't hyping equipment: It was "gear".  And what wasn't gear was a 50+ page ad for Deer Valley!
    Well, that's why it's free.
    - Sam
  • My knee if f'd and will be getting surgery soon.  A sure sign this winter will be a record setting.

My knee if f'd and will be getting surgery soon.  A sure sign this winter will be a record setting.

sorry to hear, hope you're on the mend quickly
  • My knee if f'd and will be getting surgery soon.  A sure sign this winter will be a record setting.

If you are feeling the need, some of the adaptive programs will at least give you the opportunity to get out.  One of the CM patrollers did in her knee and was out for the season.  She did the "bucket" thru CMARS (Crotched Mtn. Adaptive Ride and Ski) and reported that it was much more fun than she expected it to be.

sorry to hear, hope you're on the mend quickly
    Thanks.  I don't think it will be the disaster I had on my hands last time and missed the famous winter of 2010/2011.

My knee if f'd and will be getting surgery soon.  A sure sign this winter will be a record setting.

If you are feeling the need, some of the adaptive programs will at least give you the opportunity to get out.  One of the CM patrollers did in her knee and was out for the season.  She did the "bucket" thru CMARS (Crotched Mtn. Adaptive Ride and Ski) and reported that it was much more fun than she expected it to be.
    Excellent suggestion.  Should it be a longer term recovery than I am hoping, I would consider this.