Tenney Mountain Updates

edited January 2021 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 5,479
Here is an update on progress at Tenney Mountain: http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=279

I can't wait for the reopening and I'll probably be up there this winter!
- Sam

Comments

Always a good thing in principle when a list area resurrects! Here's hoping they have a well-thought out and executable business plan so they remain open.
    If they have a low priced season pass I will surely purchase 1. I'm going to try and make a trip up there in the near future and try to get some info on their ops plan, job possibilities and season pass prices. I'll post what I find out.
    I would be very happy if Tenney reopened. For years it was one of our regular stops. When Tenney had snow it was fun to ski
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 1,162
    Went to Tenney 6/18 and tried to get some ?s answered but the person I spoke with was to busy getting the thrasher out of the mud on a trail in the triple pod. I walked and drove around the base area and their is a lot of work being done. The double was being worked on and now they are moving over to the triple to address it's issues. All the trails are getting mowed with a thrashing machine attached to a tracked Bobcat. The pond was being debrushed by a crew and the Facebook page said they are draining it to fix any issues with that. More info about their plans can be found there like night skiing and snow making. I did happen upon a map that showed the snowmaking layout and it looks like they're going 100%.
    I was given a Website to pose my ?s at, just hope I get answered.
  • What's the website?
    - Sam
    skitenney.com is what I was given but I'm not sure it's legit.
  • It doesn't look like it.
    - Sam
    Where are they getting the capital for this?
    We'll my ?s haven't been answered yet so I guess that, that email address was either bogus or I didn't get it right. But on the Facebook page they are borrowing a good size dozer and they took out that hideous stairway to the base lodge. Now if they would just move that lodge to the base of the access rode and put in a lift and trail pod from there, wow what a ski resort that would make.
    it's fun watching the daily facebook updates and videos!!!!   Love the BAH-ston accent!!!!
    Quote: " Love the BAH-ston accent!!!!"

Not just Boston. Some version of that  soft "r" is strong in much of New England east of the Connecticut River. Some people tell me that in cities that inflection sounds tough; in rural areas it seems softer and more friendly. I grew up in Central Connecticut (Middletown) where we don't - for the most part - have that inflection. I've been in the Worcester area for more than 60 years, but as soon as I open my mouth, people spot me an an outsider, or "outsidah." I guess it's because I live near Webster, not Webstah, and drive a car, not a cah.
    Their FB page lists a few email addresses using the @skitenney.com domain name. I it looks like they have acquired the domain and just haven't completed and uploaded a web page? They need to get on that... the FB social media presence is solid, but a web page is still a business requirement for online marketing and information. 

Their FB page shows a lot of activity and a very positive attitude and approach, looks interesting. I'd like to hear about their long term plans for snowmaking and lifts. Their FB page shows serious snow making pond improvements but the water needs to be pumped and needs a place to go. I know the lifts are staying the same this season but they need upgrades for long term sustainability. Good effort so far on FB but it remains to be seen if they have deep enough pockets to truly revitalize the mountain. Fingers crossed for them...
    I think it's a mistake to try operating with the summit lift intact.  People thoroughly rejected the "product" at Tenney so I don't see the purpose in operating it before that is addressed.  Things have only gotten worse for Tenney since their most recent shuttering with the upgrade to HS lift on Spear.  They won't get numbers without marketing, and I think it's a mistake to get people up there to experience that lift and probably never return.
    I hope I'm wrong as I'd love to visit there a time or two per season, quad or not.
    We loved Tenney. To us the issue there was the inconsistent snow and not the lifts. I thought the trails had character but the snow confitions always made it hit or miss. If they reopen we will be there skiing. I also like the quick access off I93
    bobbutts said:

I think it's a mistake to try operating with the summit lift intact.  People thoroughly rejected the "product" at Tenney so I don't see the purpose in operating it before that is addressed.  Things have only gotten worse for Tenney since their most recent shuttering with the upgrade to HS lift on Spear.  They won't get numbers without marketing, and I think it's a mistake to get people up there to experience that lift and probably never return.

I hope I'm wrong as I'd love to visit there a time or two per season, quad or not.
    I disagree that "people rejected the product" and agree with Bkroon9175 that the issue was the quality of the snow in comparison to that of its neighbors.  In the early years of snowmaking and grooming (early 70s), there were mighty long lift lines at Tenney. 
    Lifts vs snowmaking... I think snowmaking is ultimately more important. Tenney's biggest issue right now is reliability. People want to know if they schedule a trip that the mountain will be open and have reasonable snow. People will grumble about a slow lift but they won't come back if they feel like they got screwed on snow.

That said, Tenney re-enters a market that has significantly changed since the mountain was last open. Ragged put a high speed into Spear, Loon opened an entire new mountain, Cannon put a lift in and opened Mittersill. Most of Tenney's competition all have high speed lifts. 

Tenney might be able to limp along with a slow lift but it would be almost impossible to limp along without solid snowmaking. We've seen this at other mid-mountain that have struggled including Magic, Whaleback, etc. Mountains can build a base of die hards and generate good buzz with a slow lift but they can't do it without snow, especially in a bad season.

That said, if Tenney upgrades their snowmaking, I don't think they'll generate enough revenue to pay for the snowmaking upgrade without a high speed lift to put Tenney "back on the map". Snowmaking is more important than lifts but I still don't think Tenney is long term sustainable without the lift upgrade... even an engine upgrade with a carpet/conveyor system would do the trick.
    It is all about snow. When given the choice between lifts or snow making i will choose snowmaking. I will take slow lifts any day for a good run on decent snow. Tenney needs snow before lifts
    yup!
    All the above issues have been addressed in their facebook posts. Lifts, water, snowmaking and marketing have all been talked about to some degree. It seems they are committed to a slow growth with a start on basics: Repairs to the lodge and lodge access, repairs to water supply for snowmaking with new guns. Marketing from what I remember of their FB posts is secondary to all. The focus is to get things running and work out the bugs without mobs of people. Once all the kinks are worked out then they'll market the crap out of it.
    On the left hand side of the facebook page they answered quite a few questions about the costs of the plans that alan dominello asked:

"The focus is on the lifts... About $375k to $400k to get them up to date not counting all the clearing and remodeling of facilities... Just to get by plus the insurance is way over $4million... Then add in another $8 to $9 for snow equipment upgrades... Before you know it we will be way over $15million... That's just to get by - the entire 10 to -2 year plan is in the hundreds of millions which includes development and other venues... But our immediate focus are the lifts for if they don't make certification - kiss the entire project good bye!"

$4 million in basically one summer to resurrect the place (and insure it) is quite a hefty investment. From the FB posts it looks like they are trying to correct all the deficiencies the right way instead of the typical band aid approach. impressive. 
    8-9 million sounds like a lot for snowmaking but when the fan guns are $25-$35k each and they are redesigning the entire system , it sounds about right.  I hope they can pull it all off! 
    If you don't have snow, then you don't need any other facilities.  Good snow is the driver.  I believe that people will tolerate slow access if the product is worthwhile.  In addition, guests will show up to check it out for the first time, it's getting them to return that is the challenge.
    Snowmaking first, lifts second!
    I suggest Ascutney is our answer to snow vs. lifts. They "experimented" and they were wrong. This mid-size area has/had terrain as nice as Magic. The invested in a HSQ and not snowmaking, especially a water source (pond). They were wrong, people "didn't come if they built it". They lacked snow, especially an early season base. One thing Les Otten (ASC) and environmentalists worked on was water use. Snowmaking ponds were the answer to ski areas needing water vs. fish needing deep pools in streams to survive the winter. It was a good compromise. Plus there is the added benefit of fire protection especially where fire hydrants are installed between ponds and mountains. Good examples are between Haystack at Mt. Snow and the Sugarbush access road.
    On some level, Ascutney is a great example.  I liked Ascutney and actually went there for a vacation.  The slope-side condos were so filthy, that my wife and I left after 1 day.  In addition, the walls were so paper thin, we could hear every part of the party going on two units down from us. I think bad management contributed as much as their snowmaking issues.
    Now that Tenney seems to be on track to reopen this coming season my wish to them is that they leave the trails with the same footprint and not destroy their character. The glades are real sweet too and I hope that they get to clean them out for this season. I can't wait to get on that mt. Come on winter!
    Really looking forward to skiing at Tenney.  It is the only NH 93 area that I've never skied.  A good friend of mine moved up to the Plymouth area a few years back and invited us up to ski at Tenney his first year there but I couldn't make the dates work, that was their last operating season.  Probably 5 or 6 years ago in the summer I rode in a motorcycle dual sport event that started at Tenney and the bar and restaurant were open for the rides and families after the ride.  It was a miserable day weather-wise but an awesome ride.
    Remski said:

Now that Tenney seems to be on track to reopen this coming season my wish to them is that they leave the trails with the same footprint and not destroy their character. The glades are real sweet too and I hope that they get to clean them out for this season. I can't wait to get on that mt. Come on winter!

Totally agree!!!!    If they bulldoze the heck out of them and widen them, well, then, it would be like any other resort I infrequently ski/ride!!!!    I have never skied it as I re-started skiing (mainly riding) after they closed   :(    But, I am eagerly waiting for next winter to give it a shot.   I don't really care if the lifts takes a long time as it'll still be faster than skinning  :).   Also, I'm hoping the glades play well!!!!
    I don't see it happening. Nothing wrong with widening some narrow trouble spots but wider = more snow needed to cover. Not the best idea when you're trying to get back on your feet!

I don't remember glades at Tenney.  Where were they?

• I don't remember glades at Tenney.  Where were they?

https://skimap.org/data/1077/916/1335552073.jpg
    - Sam