Waterville Valley 3/25/2017

edited March 2017 in Trip Reports Posts: 312
Skied Waterville Valley yesterday.  4" or so of fresh, wet, snow really made for great conditions, especially early on.  The consistency of the new snow was best when it was either groomed or previously chopped up by other skiers.  No lift line was more more than 2 minutes.  I didn't see a single closed trail except the trails on Green Peak that aren't finished yet.

Much to my delight, Waterville has improved a bit since my last visit, about 7 years ago.  First and foremost, there are some nice glades on the mountain now.  The best glade is accessed by an unmarked entrance off the Psyched Out trail.  It has at least 500' of vertical and follows interesting contours.  

Then there is Green Peak.  The chair was running early in the morning with one easy way down from the top.  I can see where Green Peak is going to add a lot of value to Waterville.  The new trails aren't terribly interesting, but they will certainly help disperse people around this overcrowded mountain.

On the downside, the Sunnyside triple is getting very old and doesn't lend itself to a general feeling of well being when riding on it.  Additionally, the base lodge seems like the same old tired layout.  I hate the parking situation at this mountain.  We got there around 9:15 and parked quite a ways down the hill. 

The old J bar is still running and that is one thing that should never change.  Kids love it.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

Bubble- great report and love the j bar!

With the youngin's?
  • Bubble- great report and love the j bar!

With the youngin's?
    Yes, this was a family day.  We've been in hockey rinks all winter so it's nice to get out for some fresh air.

The J bar was a special bonus and it served a nice little terrain park which made it interesting.
    Of course you reveal the glade the day after I was there :(
    Are they still talking about a village to green peak gondola?  That would be one way around the bad parking.
    I didn't hate the lodge, but maybe that's because it was a weekday and it's nostalgic for me.
    I'm concerned the 10 min or so ride on the green peak triple will limit the use.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 5,277
    WV is on my to try list if I get to NH again and stay w my bro and fam in Plymouth/ Ashland area condo timeshare.

I see they have tomorrow's report already posted.
    I assume the t- bar and Poma weren't running , only the J. What's kinderpark,a carpet ,Poma, or ?

At least get a pic of the tbar restaurant/ lodge?

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/579b97ff20099e4b9b909efe/t/580fed95e3df28ce37ad4a12/1477438882101/trail_map_back1516_vertical.pdf

Bob butts, got any pics to share?

Nice report, thanks.

I don't mind the lodge but not a fan of the parking.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • The poma was also running and was getting very heavy use for the terrain park.  I don't see that going anywhere soon.
    ciscokid said:

Bob butts, got any pics to share?

ask and you will receive!

• Nice, it was fun skiing that snow on Saturday.  The road conditions look annoying.
    Thanks Bob but any chance of getting a Poma or T-bar Shot
    ciscokid said:

Thanks Bob but any chance of getting a Poma or T-bar Shot

I can't do Waterville, but I thought of your post today at Cannon and got these pics.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 5,277
    Beautiful!

Was the old tbar on the opposite side of that trail?

Wow impressive amount of trails open for April 15 and 2 fer $76!

I like the sound of Go Green( Mi state) Glade
    ciscokid said:

Beautiful!

Was the old tbar on the opposite side of that trail?

Nice to see Mitt revived( not getting into who paid/ pays for it)

When I saw it 10 yrs ago this fall and took the Tram Mitt looked sad
    Man rocket sure was on this, the boy runs a thorough ship

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/lifts/viewlift.php?id=80&limit1=20
    Skied Easter morning at Waterville and it was beautiful corn with temperatures in the 50's. Most of the original mtn was open even Bobby run top to bottom. Meadow and the 2 quads were cranking. Very impressed with the amount of snow still left on the trails much snowmaking took place the passed season.
    I'm glad to hear that some of the old glits and glory is still alive on 93. Bobby's for one.