Caberfae 3/18/17 Ciscokid, TReilly, and Crew

in Trip Reports Posts: 5,277
Finally met TReilly and had a super day at Caberfae with his girlfriend Kim, his great friend Jim and his wife and daughter and friend, along with two of my grandsons Brendan and Tyler(9+6 yr olds)

It was spring carnival day with rail jam, costume contest, and Big Air. I would say the audience on the Shelter Run at the base had a couple hundred watching and groovin the action. This kept lifelines to a minimum and mostly ski on. Temps in the mid thirties, cloudy and little or no wind. In fact the first hour or so was the foggiest I had skied in quite a while.

Here was the short line in the fog on the what Ted determined was an electric powered Hall double with reconditioned wooden seat slats.image

Here's the short lines for the CTEC quad and Doppylmayr tripleimage

imageimage

After 6-8 runs with the crew a fine tailgate lunch was in order prepared by Jim consisting of third pounder spicy pepper jack and bacon burgers and brats and a hard cider. " Wolfgang" Jim at the controls

The tailgate crew

After a roughly hour long darned great lunch we separated for a bit and I took the boys over to the south peak Riblet triple for a half dozen runs with a sparse crowd ski onimageimage

We did several runs off the quad and new Dopp triple as wellimageimage

Before Big air contest began at 4 Brendan wanted to try his hand at some air as he was back on skis today instead of usual rented board of late

I caught him near his apeximage

Then the contest was on

Before the aforementioned lunch fest we had half the crew in front of the Skyview "Jetson" lodge

A gentleman with '70s ski experience from Caberfae told me about a old lift shack only a couple hundred yards from our parking area so Tyler and I inspected it and found some old rope tow motors and such

imageimageimageimageimage

Also took a pic or two of the lift towers of the dismantled other Hall double from last year the may get put in the backcountry in the future

imageimage

Just a great day(#5 for us and 7 for Ted this year at Caberfae)) enjoyed by all. As has been the case in the past, another fine gentleman formerly from the Albany NY area now a fellow flatlander and snow journalist exemplified the caliber of those I have met through this forum. I look forward to skiing and golfing with Ted and company in the future.

Comments

• edited November 2019 Posts: 5,277
    Had to repost these pics of the crewimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    I will post a report later. It was great to meet you Bob. A great time was had by all. Looking forward to some golf and next ski season
  • Great report! I like that old rope tow shack.
    - Sam
    Thanks for the report with all the great photos. Good job catching Brendan's big air!
    mapnut said:

Thanks for the report with all the great photos. Good job catching Brendan's big air!

Yeah the little bugger scares me sometimes but who knows it is a lot of fun and he enjoys it
    He is always saying grandpa I want to go to the jumps

Map I haven't seen any trip reports from you lately. Glad you got together in Mass with the snowjournal getogether at Berkshire

• edited May 2017 Posts: 5,277
    This pic taken from outside the run down rope tow shack at the top of the Sumac Ridge beginner area looking back to parking lot to south and west. The '70s aerial show skiers going up to this shack on far leftimageimage
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 5,277
    The trail map from the '60s is fairly legible in the red " this is Caberfae" pic in this article part three transition time which is the best I have found on line

https://www.michiganskier.com/caberfaehistory/
    I found this pic from 1976 on Milsap ( mi lost ski area project)
    Looks to be near the Skyview looking east
    Can't tell for sure but looks like the double t bars , yes it definitely is the Hall '75 tbar on left next to the '63 Doppylmayr T Barimage
    Maybe pretty close to where I took this pic a few years agoimage
    From sat 3/18/17imageimage
    mapnut said:

Brenny's approach to takeoff
    imageimage
    Great photos and trip report! Enjoy reading about these Midwest Mtns.
    For Ibrake4tbars, 6 GIANT t barsimage
    The spirit of skiing is alive and well in Michigan!
    JimK said:

Yes I would say the spirit is alive and well here in Michigan Jim as you can enjoy skiing even a 500 vertical foot hill with good company just as well as a big resort east or west .
    I guess it was a good move getting a season pass at Caberfae which broke it down to $20 per outing which is not too bad for Saturday skiing no matter the size of the hill it was a great year and finished up on a great note.

Although not my favorite ski area in Michigan it fulfilled the need and was cost-effective and within day trip drive limits ,the other fascinating point about Caberfae is it has a ton of intriguing lost back country area to discover yet.

With the spring carnival Saturday there was a costume contest and I should have found a Frankenstein costume to wear but I told my grandsons that I don't need a costume I get enough of strange looks the way it is
    JimK said:

With 42 ski areas, skiing is a big deal to Michigans economy. I know at Caberfae if you start asking people where they are from you get a number of people from Indiana and the Chicago area.
    I agree with Bob, if you have good company almost any size ski area big or small can be fun. I went to Gore one year with my daughter skiied for two days, then came home and went to Mt Holly (a 200'-300' hill) a few days later and we had just as much fun. It was a different kind of fun, but it was still enjoyable.
    I agree with Treilly's assessment of mid-western skiing in general and MI skiing in particular.  

The various magazines on skiing give short shrift to the mid-west.  Over the years, my skis have seen the slopes of WI, MN, OH, IN and even KY.  Most of the areas provide a nice variety of terrain albeit with shorter runs.  It's a good product and good for the industry.  Example: Lindsay Vonn got her start at Buck Hill, MN.

Aside: As an eastern skier, when I ski at Killington, I'm pretty average among the skiers on Superstar.  I remember making turns on the mogul run at Butler (KY) and Perfect North (IN).  When I walked into the lodge, it was clear that people noticed: Good for the ego!
    Cool commentary and very good input but I must say I get noticed wherever I go and it is not for my skiing prowess
    ciscokid said:

Cool commentary and very good input but I must say I get noticed wherever I go and it is not for my skiing prowess

I think, based on what you said over the years on SJ, that you are truly a "giant of the industry." :))

Great reports guys! I love hearing about & seeing ski areas I've never been to.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ciscokid said:

I may have to call you ciscabkid now! ;)) You're the expert of all things Caberfae!

IBRAKE

I break Ted and I did talk about you briefly and of course we wish we had you there for your good commentary and clarification of tea bar lost lips

ciscokid said:

I may have to call you ciscabkid now! ;)) You're the expert of all things Caberfae!

IBRAKE
    And of course for your quick comebacks and laughter and all things T-bar related

Due to the fact that I was setting in example for the grandsons Ted convinced me of one cider or nine-year-old Brendan know exactly what was in with that cider so I stopped at one is that the bar low but if you were there who knows what may have happened this Siri thing doesn't understand Sisco kid language
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 622

Due to the fact that I was setting in example for the grandsons Ted convinced me of one cider or nine-year-old Brandon know exactly what was in bald with that Seiter so I stopped at one is that the bar low but if you were there who knows what may have happened this Siri thing doesn't understand Sisco kid language

All I did was offer a hard cider. IBRAKE you will have to make the trip next up next season.
    Caberfae has so many pictures of its history posted throughout the main lodge and in Arlos bar (which has the best bloody Mary's) that you can't help but get interested in the history of one of the oldest ski resorts in the country.
    Treilly said:

Due to the fact that I was setting in example for the grandsons Ted convinced me of one cider or nine-year-old Brandon know exactly what was in bald with that Seiter so I stopped at one is that the bar low but if you were there who knows what may have happened this Siri thing doesn't understand Sisco kid language

All I did was offer a hard cider. IBRAKE you will have to make the trip next up next season.
    Caberfae has so many pictures of its history posted throughout the main lodge and in Arlos bar (which has the best bloody Mary's) that you can't help but get interested in the history of one of the oldest ski resorts in the country.

I must confess and apologize to Ted but yes an offer was made and I accepted it was a most gracious host so let it be known and be clear the offer was made and I excepted I did not convince him of anything thank you again to say hi to Jim and the crew

By the way that bacon pepper jack burger was awesome
    ciscokid said:

By the way that bacon pepper jack burger was awesome

Jim made the chili and I prepped the bacon pepper jack burgers. They never taste the same twice. I never measure the seasonings when I put them in.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 5,277
    Ibrake4tbars yes between Ted and I we do know Caberfae pretty well but the back country and the lost part of the ski area is all fresh terrain for all of us so I just nipped a little bit of the lost terrain finding that shack but I know there's a lot more T-bar remnants and shacks up there for all three of us to find

And with you two guys And your fine persuasion I am sure we could get the Meyer family to give us a tour showing us detailed accounts of what it was like when they bought the place around 1980 ala Dr Lane at Bearpen
    ciscokid said:

Ibrake4tbars yes between Ted and I we do know Caberfae pretty well but the back country and the lost part of the ski area is all fresh terrain for all of us so I just nipped a little bit of the lost terrain finding that shack but I know there's a lot more T-bar remnants and shacks up there for all three of us to find

And with you two guys And your fine persuasion I am sure we could get the Meyer family to give us a tour showing us detailed accounts of what it was like when they bought the place around 1980 ala Dr Lane at Bearpen

No doubt that would be a most interesting story to learn and fascinating place to wander about.

Although Cab could've perhaps done a better job at concealing some of the earth moving that was done to build up the two peaks. It looks from the pics like a large, curved gash.
    :)]
    For sure it's not the most visually attractive ski area in the world

Although Cab could've perhaps done a better job at concealing some of the earth moving that was done to build up the two peaks. It looks from the pics like a large, curved gash.
    :)]

What the pictures don't show is they have planted a lot of pine trees in that area, but done in a way that when they get bigger there will be ski trails