The "worst name for a ski area"

Comments

sugarloaf said:

I think Kissing Bridge is an odd name for a ski area. Good place to ski on February 14th.

The original plan was to have a covered bridge on the main entrance over the Cazenovia Creek.  "Kissing bridge" being another name for covered bridges as it provided a convenient place to stop your buggy when you were with your best girl.  Here's the original model for the bridge that my father built:

It never was built because it would have interfered with delivery trucks and construction vehicles, and was considered an unnecessary expense in those early years.  I'd guess that the over/under on the share of people who have skied there who know why it has that name is probably right around 1%.

And for no particular reason, here a painting someone made of the area not long after they absorbed Glenwood Acres (now KB North).

• edited March 2017 Posts: 38
    I like Spirit Mountain and Coffee Mill ski areas in MN.
    newman said:

Bousquet because nobody can pronounce it.

Or spell it correctly. Bosket, Bouskey, Bosco, no wait that's the chocolate syrup I like.
    I missed this part of the discussion.   ;))

For many years my dad taught at Pittsfield (MA) high school, in view of the ski area.  The students nicknamed him Bosco, but always said it with respect.  Dear ol' Dad.

For the record (again), the traditional Yankee pronunciation of the name Bousquet is:
    • BAAHS-kay  ("baah" like a sheep's sound).
    The name is French.  The correct French pronunciation is:
    • BOOS-kay ("boo" like a ghost's sound)
    Either way it's funny.  At least it's not Uranus.  (I know someone with that last name.)

Ski area founder Clarence Bousquet and his family always said BAAHS-kay.  That's what I grew up with.  (Clarence was my grandfather.)  The name and pronunciation were kept when Clarence sold the ski area in 1956.  When Paul Bousquet (Clarence's son, my uncle) formed a small corporation -- Otter Development -- and bought the ski area back c. 1968, he changed the pronunciation to BOOS-kay.  We got a lot of kidding but most people went along.  When George Jervas assumed ownership c. 1981, the pronunciation reverted to the traditional Yankee BAAHS-kay.  And that's the way it is today.

Woody
    (BOOS-kay, by the way, since 1982.  That's another story.)

• edited March 2017 Posts: 4,667
    When I skied there I asked 3 different workers how to pronounce it and got indifferent different answers. Buss-Kay was the consensus which I knew had to be wrong. I favored the French version before I got there
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    I really think Ragged is NOT a good name for a ski area - just sounds wretched!!!!!!  (Although I am there a LOT!!!!   :)    )
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 4,667
    Oh man Becca your crash that u related on NESC sounded awful. I hope you are feeling better today
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ski_it said:

Oh man Becca your crash that u related on NESC sounded awful. I hope you are feeling better today

hahaha - still hurts and looks awful, but, things are "looking" UP - still not exactly sure what happened but I just ordered new goggles - I am terrified of my goggles (and ice)
    Tod Mountain, BC. Now Sun Peaks.

"Tod" means "death" in German... Change was a good move...

I would also nominate Yawgoo Valley. "Yawgoo"....seriously? how can you say it with a straight face. I know: It probably has some significant local meaning, but still sounds silly.
  • Mountain creek
    Killington
    Suicide Six certainly doesn't instill confidence at a predominately family area.
    I have to agree about Suicide Six. It's a fantastic smaller ski area, with a surprising amount of variety and is very affordable. The name harkens back to a time where that was more acceptable of a name.
    Any hill in Michigan with the name Mt or Mountain in it. (Except Mt Bohemia). They are hills not mountains
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 4,839
    Treilly said:

Any hill in Michigan with the name Mt or Mountain in it. (Except Mt Bohemia). They are hills not mountains

Definition of mountain: a large natural elevation of the earth's surface rising abruptly from the surrounding level; a large steep hill.

I'm not one to denigrate mid-western areas. There is no objective measurement that differentiates a hill from a mountain. While I suspect if a mid-west area was magically transported to Vermont or Colorado, it would become a hill, but since that's unlikely to happen, let them have their mountain!
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 1,033

In a little-known Hugh Grant movie, "The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain", a town in Wales hired a surveyor to prove that their hill was at least 1,000 feet high, which would qualify it as a mountain (by British standards?) That seems about right if it starts near sea level. Thus Ragged Mountain (the Camden Snow Bowl) would qualify at 1,300 feet, but Suicide 6 which is 1,360 feet ASL wouldn't because it's far inland and only 600 feet above its valley. Lots of Great Lakes region ski areas are above 1,000 altitude but I think they should be measured from the Great Lakes level, about 600 feet. Boyne Mountain is 1,150 feet ASL. Not a mountain. 

Just an aside, the Pocono Mountains are not mountains at all despite getting to 2,100 feet ASL; they're a plateau with a few protrusions. Camelback is a mountain because it's where the plateau drops down toward the Delaware River valley. El. 2133.

Camelback
    newman said:

Camelback kind of seams like a ridge

Waterville Valley.  It's got 2 of the elements listed in some of the previous suggestions.   
    - "Water" isn't so great when you want snow
    - "Valley" is kind of the opposite of a Mountain.  

I think Waterville Valley promoted themselves that way because they were one of the first ski resort villages - down in the valley. They could have called themselves Mount Tecumseh, which would have been great.

Camelback does look like a camel's hump from the east.

mapnut said:

In a little-known Hugh Grant movie, "The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain", a town in Wales hired a surveyor to prove that their hill was at least 1,000 feet high, which would qualify it as a mountain (by British standards?) 

Fun movie. Drove past Severence Hill in the Adirondacks Friday, noticed that all the signs for the hiking trail had been changed to Severence Mountain. It is at most 800-900 feet higher than the river valley and lake below, so I ain't buying the mountain claim. Severence Mountain...sheesh.

Poverty Hill - Ellicottville, NY

You must be a real local to know that name, Abomimable! 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." <div>Greg Stump</div>
    Beaver Creek. When I lived in CO as a little kid I always thought this was funny. Why would you want to ski in a beaver creek?
    When I lived in CO as an adult I always loved the local booze shop, Beaver Liquors.
    While I'm not saying Crotched Is a bad name for a ski area, it often requires some explaining.

It does however make for some good ski patrol shirts :)
    How about Hogback? Makes one think of ribs rather than snow.
    While we're on the subject, I think Pico Mountain is a dreadful name.  Pico Peak, on the other hand, was terrific!

Snö Mountain was possibly the all-time worst name for a ski area

Plus Hogback Mountain is across the road, and the Hogback ski area was on Mt. Olga. But a hogback is a type of hill or ridge. Anybody know if the Hobacks at Jackson Hole are actually hogbacks?

I agree about Pico Peak.  

+1 on Snö

Stöpid idea...though "Montage" was not much better...
    Breakneck Mountain - NJ (it was never built - but there were real plans for it - had official letterhead too).
    flbski said:

Jackass Ski Bowl (now Silver Mtn ID)

Ain't no Mulligans Hollow that's for sure

imageimage
  • bmwskier said:

Poverty Hill - Ellicottville, NY

You must be a real local to know that name, Abomimable! 
    Western New Yorker all my life!
    Blandford ski area,, totally uninspiring