2016-2017 World Cup

Comments

• The pic above just doesn't feel like it was taken on Superstar.
    whygimf said:

The pic above just doesn't feel like it was taken on Superstar.

Yes that's the "level" part of Superstar where they have the May Day races. Killington has a video of two red Piston Bullies (like this) grooming from the upper third of the trail.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 2,493

I'm glad to see that Killington is very likely to make muster for the WC event.  From a purely fiscal POV,  will the revenues generated by the WC offset the huge cost that Killington has put into it - and does anybody know how much they have put into snowmaking, overtime, grooming, etc.?

I will spitball it using my energy calculator.

Assuming:

12 IR IQ HP1600s (which they usually lease) - they get 20 GPH
    Running for 8 hours X 14 days, leased for 60 days.
    $2/gallon off road diesel

Total cost to run each compressor for that time period including lease is $10K
    X 12 = $120,000 just for air

Assuming:

4 X 1000 GPM electric vertical water pumps (they said they were running about 3600 GPM on Superstar max)
    278 amps/480 volts
    $.10 KwH utility rate
    2/3 multiplier for supply vs distribution

Total cost to run each pump for that time period is $2500
    X 4 = $10,000 for water

Assuming:

2 X PistenBully 400
    8 hours each for 7 days
    5 GPH

$2240 in total fuel costs

Assuming:

4 snowmakers and pump operators for 112 hours each
    2 groomers for 56 hours each
    $12/hr for both

Total manpower: $6720

Assuming

Superstar chair running for snowmakers for 56 hours (half of online snowmaking time)
    800 HP
    $.10 KwH utility rate

$3800 to run chair

Ballpark cost of snow operations for World Cup $142,000  Could be more could be less.

Also factor in the cost of housing and feeding all racers, teams and staff....very expensive event. Hope it happens!

I'm glad to see that Killington is very likely to make muster for the WC event.  From a purely fiscal POV,  will the revenues generated by the WC offset the huge cost that Killington has put into it - and does anybody know how much they have put into snowmaking, overtime, grooming, etc.?

My understanding is that the US Ski Racing "authorities" paid for increased snowmaking capacity so the K could blast SS without jeopardizing their ability to have terrain open for the public.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 1,435
    The lift would not be running anywhere near its hp rating for shuttling the handful of snow makers up.
    Also for budgeting purposes to Killington, I don't think they care about water or labor or groomer costs. All of that is needed to get the trail open anyways. Instead of December, they've just moved those costs up a few weeks.
    FIS snow check gave thumbs up today...it's on
  • Stands are being set up at the base of Superstar.

http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/webcam/superstar.html

- Sam
    obienick said:

Also for budgeting purposes to Killington, I don't think they care about water or labor or groomer costs. All of that is needed to get the trail open anyways. Instead of December, they've just moved those costs up a few weeks.

Nope. They are using a tremendous amount of energy to get race depth in the low end of marginal conditions. When the wet bulb is lower they could put that many acr/ft on the hill in a fraction of the time at a fraction of the cost.
    obienick said:

The lift would not be running anywhere near its hp rating for shuttling the handful of snow makers up.

So cut the HP in half, the lift is a minuscule portion of the total cost. Like I said it was spit balled, with actual data the entire thing could be made more accurate.

• edited November 2016 Posts: 458
    Great SAM article: http://saminfo.com/component/k2/item/80-the-east-wins-a-world-cup

"Solimano expects that $250,000 in added snowmaking costs alone could be necessary."
  • newpylong said:

I will spitball it using my energy calculator.

Assuming:

12 IR IQ HP1600s (which they usually lease) - they get 20 GPH
    Running for 8 hours X 14 days, leased for 60 days.

Total cost to run each compressor for that time period including lease is $10K
    X 12 = $120,000 just for air

Assuming:

4 X 1000 GPM electric vertical water pumps (they said they were running about 3600 GPM on Superstar max)
    278 amps/480 volts
    $.10 KwH utility rate
    2/3 multiplier for supply vs distribution

Total cost to run each pump for that time period is $2500
    X 4 = $10,000 for water

Assuming:

2 X PistenBully 400
    8 hours each for 7 days
    5 GPH

$2240 in total fuel costs

Assuming:

4 snowmakers and pump operators for 112 hours each
    2 groomers for 56 hours each
    $12/hr for both

Total manpower: $6720

Assuming

Superstar chair running for snowmakers for 56 hours (half of online snowmaking time)
    800 HP
    $.10 KwH utility rate

$3800 to run chair

Ballpark cost of snow operations for World Cup $142,000  Could be more could be less.

Nice shot at coming up with some numbers.  I suspect you low-balled, based on the one number I do know.

Piston Bullies need a lot of maintenance based primarily on hours of operation.  My experts tell me that it cost between $150 and $200 per hour to run, including fuel, operator, mainntenance and depreciation.
  • FYI: Killington just posted on their FB page that they have been green-lighted for the World Cup Event.
    Plug just pulled on Birds of Prey at Beaver Creek....wow...Killington is the only game in town, unless Lake Louise can get in shape for the men
    TomWhite said:

whygimf said:

Yes that's the "level" part of Superstar where they have the May Day races. Killington has a video of two red Piston Bullies (like this) grooming from the upper third of the trail.
    TomWhite said:

whygimf said:

TomWhite said:

whygimf said:

TomWhite said:

whygimf said:

• edited November 2016 Posts: 1,811
    On a side note DIA reached 80F yesterday, tying the record for the warmest temperature ever in Denver for November. This ain't helping the resort's in Colorado that's for sure. I've seen modeling returning warm and dry weather to Colorado next week.
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
    That is definitely not Superstar! For one thing their isn't any chair lift and also the trail has a right turn at the top of the picture. It's either Skylark or Bittersweet because they had to supply a trail for race practice because they aren't allowed to use Superstar for practice.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 5,479
    It looks like Superstar to me. Those birch trees correspond with the ones in this photo I took in May and that "curve" is just a side trail coming in.
    - Sam
    - Sam
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 2,962

Plug just pulled on Birds of Prey at Beaver Creek....wow...Killington is the only game in town, unless Lake Louise can get in shape for the men

my understanding is Lake Louise was killed yesterday, Kmart stands alone
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 1,435
    Only the Men's Lake Louise was cancelled. Ladies' snow control is Friday

But it's 99.9999999% cancelled.

Hope that doesn't mean fewer racers come over the pond.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 3,575
    Yep, I had it backwards. Won't affect the racers that will be at Killington. Many are in Colorado and will stop on the way as planned. Maybe lose a few all-around' skiers who do all disciplines, but the tech skiers will be here.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 2,962
    obienick said:

Only the Men's Lake Louise was cancelled. Ladies' snow control is Friday

But it's 99.9999999% cancelled.

Hope that doesn't mean fewer racers come over the pond.

Ah! didn't know it was just the men. Aside from Kmart's unquestionable success, North American ski season season is off to a shaky start
    Ya your right that is SS Looking down hill.
    Lake Louise snow control postponed until noon monday
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 544

Superstar looked awesome. I talked to lots of people working the course and the venue. It is going to be a crazy madhouse there and one hell of a good time.
  • Yahoo! Can't wait for Saturday! That looks great!
    It really did look great. I also met and spoke with former US Olympian Leslie Leete Smith, Pres Smith's daughter who, along with other former US Olympian and WC skiers will be on hand for this weekend's races. The last WC race in VT. was 1978 at Stratton and Leslie showed me a photo of her in action in that race. She also showed me some old photos of her as a toddler on skis in front of the Killington base lodge with her dad. It was a very cool day.
    Lake Louise passed, btw. Birds of Prey has been moved to Val-d'Isère.  Val-d'Isère now has 8 races over 3 consecutive weekends.

I'm psyched. I'll be at the SL races on Sunday.