Killington 2016-7

edited October 2016 in Trip Reports Posts: 4,839
Today, Oct. 26, 2016, Weds., I kicked of the 2016-7 season.

I would have gone yesterday, but when they changed plans to open at noon, I changed my mind.  The trip had two nice surprises.  First, the two worst stretches of road were repaved over the summer. The second was that despite the fact the trees were past peak, the color on the hillsides was still amazing.  It was especially beautiful when the sun rose and illuminated only the mountain tops with lively iridescent colors.

At the mountain there was an illusion of total snow cover, and people had poached many of the trails.  Superstar was covered T2B with guns that blasted all day.  It looked skiable, but I was told that 1) it would not be open to the public until after the race and 2) They have a commitment to have a 5 foot base by the time the race happens.
As for the skiable/lift serviced terrain: 1) The guns ran all day on upper and lower Rime.  Reason was nice, but you still had to rejoin Lower Rime, so you couldn't avoid snowguns. They were running guns all day on Upper East Fall, but it was not opened.

The crowd wasn't bad - perhaps a minute at the peak times.

The snow was reasonably good.  The problem was, it was virtually impossible to see anything (because of the snow guns), so one had to sense the terrain with one's feet.  That kept speeds down and added a stress dimension.  I quit after about 20 runs.

Every year, when I put on the skis and make the first turns of the season, I always wonder: Will the magic still be there?  It was!

With the additional snowmaking tonight, I think Killington can withstand an extended thaw, so we won't have the shut down this year, like we did last year.

Comments

• First report! Thanks for sharing.
    - Sam

You quit after only 20 runs?? I hate you....I'm only Joshing you. Great first report of the season. Keep those reports coming!!!!!

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    I bumped my first day from today til tomorrow, thinking it will be much less crowded.  For anyone who need's it, 2 for one link available to all.  Valid til 12/16 I think.  Brings it to $27.50  per day as of now.

• edited October 2016 Posts: 4,839
    ski_it said:

You quit after only 20 runs?? I hate you....I'm only Joshing you. Great first report of the season. Keep those reports coming!!!!!

The North Ridge Chair is pretty slow - but more significant: There are muscle groups one uses skiing that aren't used jogging, hiking, or cutting/maintaining trail (which are my primary sources of exercise in the off-season). I am a bit sore today :-(
    Chuckstah said:

I bumped my first day from today til tomorrow, thinking it will be much less crowded.  For anyone who need's it, 2 for one link available to all.  Valid til 12/16 I think.  Brings it to $27.50  per day as of now.

Only $23.50 for us seniors!
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 2,962
    thanks for the report, especially relaying those tidbits about the WC thing with Superstar, base etc. -- enlightening.

20 runs is a VERY successful MID-season outing for some of us!  
    :-bd
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 1,417
    Nice conditions today. No crowds, no lines and soft snow. Visibility went down hill when the snow started. it was snowing heavily to the base when the lifts closed. Upper East Fall was open making 2 complete runs. Snowmaking on going on all open trails (except the park), Great Northern from reason wrapping around to the triple, SS and Skylark. SS looked like it could host a race now.  I don't know why the picture is double and sideways, first for me I think?imageimage
    Wow, Chuck...looks like midwinter!
    Crazy, great shot.
    marcski said:

Wow, Chuck...looks like midwinter!

It was definitely midwinter conditions. Needed all the gear.  Driving on the access road was a bit sketchy leaving.  I skipped E. Mountain Rd. on the way home as it didn't look good at all with no snow tires on.  I hope a turn to rain tomorrow doesn't ruin  this early season treat.
    Josh used the word magic

Chuck portrayed magic

Good work guys
  • im going tomorrow rain be damned
    My heart bleeds for winter.
    Killington reporting 10" of new snow last night (Oct. 28).
  • Very very happy they opened great eastern to the top of North ridge.

No walk down the stairs tomorrow.

Anyone going?
  • That would be Great Northern.
    Just got a call from a friend who poached Cascade. While no ropes have been dropped, apparently there are a lot of people not using the stairway today (either up or down)! Killington, I think has already received more snow to date than it received all last season before Dec. 15 or so.
  • hopefully they push it out over night and acutally open it.

either way you swing it ill be there

im very annoyed tho about the wind. Down in NJ is blowing like crazy

Open snow is saying 40MPH tomorrow

will they run the gondi with winds like that
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 1,435
    I think it depends on the wind direction.

Just looked it up.  NW wind up to 43 mph sustained by the afternoon at 3400'.  Looking good for a wind hold. 
  • by the afternoon, what 12pm 1pm

haha i plan on being there at 8am and odd of my making it more than 4 hours arent great for the first day
    They are opening it on natural snow only because they for a reason I can't figure didn't make any snow on it and that won't last pass noon Sat. This will be ROCK SKIS terrain for sure. I plan on skiing Sunday anyone else? I'll be on teles with very green boots and a blue Flylow jacket.
  • I'm on my way there now.

The weather looks terrible but as they say
    A bad day skiing is better than a good day or work.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 1,435

by the afternoon, what 12pm 1pm

haha i plan on being there at 8am and odd of my making it more than 4 hours arent great for the first day
    By 11 am. But the wind direction has changed to from the W so the lift may be usable being blocked by North Ridge and the summit.

• Well here's hoping. An hour out and there is a light mist but no wind.

Temp is 35 degrees
  • Well here's hoping. An hour out and there is a light mist but no wind.

Temp is 35 degrees

Today's opening has been delayed until 9:00.
    - Sam
  • Now delayed until 11
  • Sick 4 hour drive to look at some snow
  • Now delayed until 11

due to a computer failure
    - Sam
  • Currently hiking up some random trail.

Knee deep in the drifts just barely covered in the steep areas.
    Pics later but damn I hope they open the gondola
  • Nov. 4, 2016 - Fri.

I was expecting to be skiing in snowguns all day, but the actual temps moderated from the forecasts.  The only guns running were the top of Great Northern and even there - I think the guns were mostly "watering the grass".  There was fog early,  but it burned off by 9:30 or so and it was a wonderfully comfortable sunny day.

I've always used the adage, "an inch of snow in January will have more impact than a foot in late March (or later)."  I'll now add: "an inch of snow in January will have more impact than a foot in late October." While a few got to enjoy the 17.5" of October snow, (and most of the mountain was poached), the only snow still on the mountain is the machine made snow.

Great Northern had pretty much melted out, so we were back to using the Stairway both up and down.

I was expecting things to be quite icy, so I brought a sharp pair of skis and I didn't really need them.  It was warm  enough that the surface remained firm, but easily edgable.  Only Rime and Reason were open. (Upper East Fall was closed.)  There were some nice mogul lines.  No lift-lines.

The snow remains really deep on Rime and short of an extended hot spell, the odds of them shutting down any time before late spring are quite slim.
  • Nov. 7, 2016 - Mon.
    Last day on skis until the end of November and it was a good one. The cold hung on longer than expected so the last of the snowguns didn't shut off until about 11:30.  Great Northern was open from the top, so one only had to do one-way on the stairs.

Upper East Fall and the left side of Rime had moguls.  Surfaces were good.  Temps maxed around 40 and the sunshine was brilliant.  No crowd.  Great day!

(Regarding the race: The were making snow on Superstar - but they lost a lot with the warm spell.)
  • I am surprised that I don't see more discussion about the race, race prep, snowmaking, etc.  Just saw on Killington website a groomer going up and down Superstar.....Does that mean they have enough snow?  Doesn't look like it.  At what point do the WC people pull the plug on this?