Killington 2016-7

Comments

• marcskimarcski advanced
    Don't call me out, Joshua. I was only responding to your post. You opened the door by bringing up your opinion that despite the day being so great, you still think the season is sub average. [-X ;).

Plus, my season is still in it's prime. After I see you again in May, on a 50-60 degree day on Superstar, I'll be ready to give my seasonal assessment. I look forward to it. :D <:-P
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    yardsale said:

While the day was in the 99th percentile of memorable days that I skied in my life, I still can't rate the entirety of this season any better than average to average-minus.
    JS, you brought the season assessment into this thread first. A response was warranted IMO.
    You are right. Sorry about that.

I'm at day 105 and 2 million vertical, so I've experienced the good, the bad and the ugly.  No question that if the entirety of the season was Feb. 1 to 15 and Mar. 14 to date, it would be a top season;  but in my thinking, it's about the total season average.  Clearly, you and riverc0il disagree, but that's OK.  The discussion would be pretty boring if we all agreed.  

As to whether the "rating the season" was too early, I admit to listening to sports-talk radio on occasion.  They are already talking about next year's Superbowl.  Now that's what I call early!
    marcski said:

Don't call me out, Joshua. I was only responding to your post. You opened the door by bringing up your opinion that despite the day being so great, you still think the season is sub average. [-X ;).

Plus, my season is still in it's prime. After I see you again in May, on a 50-60 degree day on Superstar, I'll be ready to give my seasonal assessment. I look forward to it. :D <:-P

Sorry about that.  I missed my own sub-comment.

Today was an another absolutely stellar day at Killington although a bit more care was needed negotiating Royal Flush, Conclusion, Jug and others as bare spots were growing.  I'm hoping to encounter you not only in May, but June, too.

Last April or May when I met you, I was skiing mostly on one leg with a sprained ankle on the other.  Hopefully, this season, I'll have better endurance - and maybe we can even take a run together.
    edited March 24 Posts: 1,680
    Mar. 24, 2017 - Fri.

The snow was reasonably nice, but by early afternoon, the precipitation varied from snow to sleet, depending on elevation and location.  Not a bad day, but certainly not bluebird!

An aside:
    Last Sunday, I noticed some very offensive graffiti on one of the rest room walls.  I sent an email to Mike Solimano, Killington's CEO with a jpg of the graffiti.  He replied the next day that it would be taken care of immediately.  I noticed today that it really was taken care of.  Kudos to Mike and his staff.
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited March 25 Posts: 832
    March 23, 2017

Thursday was only my 2nd day back on snow since my horrible tibial plateau fracture 2 years ago at Bristol, NY.  My leg broke in such a way that I had a vertical fracture down probably to where the top of my boot goes.  I had a great surgeon at Strong in Rochester and ended up with 2 plates and 8 screws, so I'm well on my way to becoming Wolverine.

Total price skiing was $0 as I had two comps from the WC races back at Thanksgiving.  The "Superfan" package certainly was well worth it, especially as they were asking for the full-force $105 on a spring weekday despite Bear Mountain not fully accessible.

It was an amazing bluebird day.  Arrival at Skyeship Base Station yielded warmer (ha, still 12°F!) than forecasted temperatures and only 8 other cars in the lot.  I skied with my sis in her Nashoba teaching jacket (one instructor on K1 noted "Quite a bit different from your Nashoba, eh?") so if anyone was out and about and noticed a tentative guy around her, it was me ... not that I'm a beginner, but I'm still getting my skiing legs back! I logged a mere 12,378' vertical, but it certainly felt a lot more!! Record non-stop was about 1190' from the top of North Ridge Triple to the top of Bunny Buster via Great Northern (a lot more than the 230' at Nashoba a month or so ago!)

Conditions were great. Firm, but very edgible courderoy in the AM.  South-facing slopes served by the Skye Peak Express (at least the lower half) softened up quite a bit by the afternoon. If I was stronger, I'd say it'd be fantastic skiing but one run via Stash Way -> Gateway -> Bear Claw killed me.

If you could withstand the lift ride, the best conditions were found on Ram's Head.  The wind was blowing directly in our faces.  Ended up leaving Ram's Head for North Ridge because those 5.5 minutes were just absolute brutal. Trails of the Day IMHO for a low-intermediate or one working on technique was Easy Street and Header.

They were blasting all the guns in glacier production on Skyelark and Superstar. Lower Superstar appeared to have about 25' base.  About 10 portable compressors between the Snowdon and Bear Mountain stations, but air was leaking out of a hydrant or pipe under Skye Peak Express.  I was surprised in the early afternoon it hadn't been noticed.

My one complaint is the new mid-turn loading installed at all the high speed quads. They all looked to have been constructed in the last couple years.  The chairs are just too low do that. The turning of the chair put noticeable mildly-painful torques on my bad knee. Fine for a 5-year-old, but not good for someone with ligament damage and plates installed.

Below are pictures:

Skyeship Base Station (upon departure at 3:30, not arrival):

Best skiing off of Ram's Head:

The SnowLogics on SuperStar were blasting away all day:

Outer Limits looking nice in the early afternoon (but has since been groomed flat for Friday or Saturday per their snow report):

----

In other news, I overheard from an instructor on the mountain that Killington has in fact submitted a bid for future races.  Management is confident they'll get to host more. I can't wait!
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Excellent report and pics Obie

Know where your coming from, broke tib and fib 38 yrs ago
    Just happy to have my leg yet
    edited March 25 Posts: 832
    I am lucky that the way in which it broke I spared my ligaments.  I had a piece of the upper bone break off sideways relieving stress.  It is my understanding that I am quite lucky and that usually the ligaments get damaged in some way.  

---

I wanted to add to the report that I didn't venture on to any blacks so I can't comment on their status except for Ridge Run. Why is that even marked a black? The middle portion of Bear Claw (the descent to the lift crossing) is easily far steeper and harder.
    Based on my experience on the 24th: Blacks vary from day-to-day depending on what they groom.  I must say that Ovation, I think their steepest run, was skiing very well on Friday AM.  Some of the others, such as Conclusion, one needed to pick one's way around some bare spots.  Superstar skied fine.  It was mostly groomed.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    great photos!  thanks for posting
    The late season product is certainly an important piece of Killington's market.  Over the next few weeks, they are scaling ops, with Rt. 4 Skyeship closed and over the next two or three weeks, shutting down other base areas.  

It's pretty sure that Killington will make it until June this year, but the way they can scale operations is key to their ability to keep it going profitably thru mid-May - and when they finally close, there are no lift lines, but the limited terrain couldn't really handle much more traffic.
    A perfect example of their ability to scale operations is the midweek day I was there recently:  only one guy in charge of the lodge.  He manned the shop and sold the tickets from the shop. Cafe and bar were closed. Ice water jugs were out for those who wanted water.
    edited April 15 Posts: 1,680
    April 13, 2017 - Thurs.

After being out of ski country from Mar. 31 to Apr. 12, I returned going to Killington  today.

Non-skiing related:
    Almost everything in the clothing department is on sale at 50% off.  I figured if they charge $4 for a cookie, half off was still going to be a rip-off.  I was very pleasantly surprised.  If you're there, I recommend checking it out.
    ---
    Spring skiing is always interesting because the day depends a lot on the weather and the grooming.  So it wasn't surprising that surfaces were hard this morning.  What was surprising is that the groomers groomed before the snow set up, so the fare for the first few hours was frozuroy.

Many trails were closed and as the sun warmed things up, patrol was VERY slow dropping ropes.  In some cases, the ropes were never dropped.  In many cases, the best skiing was missed because the patrol waited way too long to drop ropes.  In the spring, an hour of sunshine has a huge impact on trail surfaces.  I've found this to be an on-going problem with Killington.

Despite the negatives, the skiing was lovely from 11AM until closing,  although a number of the more traveled trails got a little sloppy.

Apr. 14, 2017 - Fri.

Perfect bluebird day of spring skiing.
  • spk27alumnispk27alumni intermediate

Hey Joshua,

Did you happen to stop for a bite to eat at the Rutland Panera, after skiing Friday?

Hey Joshua,

Did you happen to stop for a bite to eat at the Rutland Panera, after skiing Friday?

No.  I go east to go home.  I take it you were at killington on Friday also?
  • spk27alumnispk27alumni intermediate

Hi Joshua,

I was not at Killington, but on the way to NH on Friday, I saw a guy with a Killington ticket at the Rutland Panera. He looked like he could be you, from how I remember your picture in the magazine article you were mentioned in. I almost inquired if it could be you, but did not, knowing that you post often about Crotched; and most likely lived East of Killington. I'm glad I didn't ask, and spared myself an embarrassing moment with a stranger.

Getting back to the topic, I was on my way to ski Cannon on Saturday. Since my Son has been attending Plymouth State, we have had three Spring skiing trips to Cannon Mountain over the last four seasons. Having experienced the Spring skiing scene at Killington since the 70's, I am ready to say that I enjoy Spring skiing at Cannon better than at Killington. Given the right weather conditions, there is just something about the various exposures, elevations and slope traffic, that allows one to find really fine Spring surfaces there. I especially enjoyed finally getting over to Mittersill, where the best snow was that day. Of course, my opinion is based on having two bulging disks from years zipper-lining bumps, and the resulting need to limit my time in the moguls. For those who live for moguls, Killington would still be King.  

Hi Joshua,

I was not at Killington, but on the way to NH on Friday, I saw a guy with a Killington ticket at the Rutland Panera. He looked like he could be you, from how I remember your picture in the magazine article you were mentioned in. I almost inquired if it could be you, but did not, knowing that you post often about Crotched; and most likely lived East of Killington. I'm glad I didn't ask, and spared myself an embarrassing moment with a stranger.

Getting back to the topic, I was on my way to ski Cannon on Saturday. Since my Son has been attending Plymouth State, we have had three Spring skiing trips to Cannon Mountain over the last four seasons. Having experienced the Spring skiing scene at Killington since the 70's, I am ready to say that I enjoy Spring skiing at Cannon better than at Killington. Given the right weather conditions, there is just something about the various exposures, elevations and slope traffic, that allows one to find really fine Spring surfaces there. I especially enjoyed finally getting over to Mittersill, where the best snow was that day. Of course, my opinion is based on having two bulging disks from years zipper-lining bumps, and the resulting need to limit my time in the moguls. For those who live for moguls, Killington would still be King.  

I don't think anybody is unaware: Beyond my home mountain, Killington is my ski area of choice.  But the two major reasons:
    1. Proximity (2 hour drive)
    2. Length of season

Sugarbush, Sunday River and others have comparable challenge,comparable snowmaking and comparable amenities. But nowhere else in the east can one ski lift serviced from Oct. to June so close to my home.

BTW, I was there again yesterday (Apr. 18) and it was another bluebird perfect spring day.  The snow got heavy around 3PM.  They continue to lose trails on a day-to-day basis, but the cover and depth of snow on Superstar remains impressive.  I figure another 5 to 10 days there before the end of the season.

• newpylongnewpylong advanced
    edited April 19 Posts: 490
    Based on what I've seen I give them easily a minimum 2 weeks left, a month or more if the scorchers hold off.
    newpylong said:

Based on what I've seen I give them easily a minimum 2 weeks left, a month or more if the scorchers hold off.

I recall the last year ASC operated Killington, there was an average depth of 30' the first weekend in May.  Over the next two weeks, the daytime temps were consistently in the 70s or higher and night lows didn't dip below 55.  They lost 24' of snow in two weeks and came up short on skiing Memorial Day.  I suppose that could happen again, but if I were a betting man (and I'm not), I would say 25-75  for 8 or more weekends (June 10 or beyond), 60-40 for 7, 75-25 for 6 and 90+ for at least 5.

What will help them even if it is warm, is they will not be open Mon. to Thurs. starting May 1.  That means much less grooming which will serve to preserve the surface much later into the season.  It also appears that they have stockpiled more snow in the strategic places that typically melt out first.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    That's interesting spk27 I don't think I've done any spring skiing at Cannon. Perhaps I should. Killington, Jay, Killington, Wildcat, Bretton, Wildcat, repeat ...come to mind.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ski_it said:

That's interesting spk27 I don't think I've done any spring skiing at Cannon. Perhaps I should. Killington, Jay, Killington, Wildcat, Bretton, Wildcat, repeat ...come to mind.

Cannon is great in the spring as their inherently icy snow begins to soften.
    BW was last to close in the first post-ASC years but primarily offered skiing on less difficult terrain which created issues with keeping moving without poling.
    Never done Jay late spring.
    Wildcat's view into Tuckerman as well as their location, makes them a great spring destination.

And don't forget Sugarloaf and Sugarbush: Both offer late spring top notch skiing.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Nice day at Killington today soft snow more open than expected but the summit trails are done now just Superstar quad from here on out.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    edited April 23 Posts: 1,254
    Any updated pics since Obie 's from a month ago?
    Particularly from summit around 4000'

Oh sorry I see Remski said summit closed

Unfortunately I never skied Kmart in my long career but will never say never

I was hoping Sam stopped at Sugarloaf for some bluebird snowfield volume picture taking but oh well
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Summit trails closed after today
    Remski said:

Nice day at Killington today soft snow more open than expected but the summit trails are done now just Superstar quad from here on out.

Me too!  Surprised I didn't see you.  IMO, the upper mountain would be good for at least another week, but closing K1 (+ North Ridge and Canyon) is just smart economics.  East Fall was pretty far gone, but Cascade, and Downdraft were both fine.  Pretty much everything except Upper Ridge Run was nice on the North Ridge.  The way down via Snowden was getting thin, but still OK.

Knowing that everything but Superstar (the lift) was done after today, I spent 90% of the day on K1, North Ridge and Canyon.  I'd say that Superstar (the trail) probably lost a foot or so over the last week, but there is plenty left.

No two runs were the same.  In the AM, most everything was groomed and firm.  By noon, most everything mogulled up. Late afternoon,  it started to get a bit mushy in places.  I'm pretty sure that Launch Pad will be gone by next weekend, but Superstar, lower Skye Hawk, Skyelark, and High Road should hold up well for the forseeable future.

There was a bear cub in the middle of Royal Flush for about a half hour.  I almost took out my phone to take a photo, but I didn't want to ruin my SJ reputation. :-)
    Apr. 27, 2017 - Thurs.
    All that's left:
    Superstar (T2B) counted as 3-trails
    Skye Hawk (T2B): Skiers right is completely gone, but skier's left is still holding up
    Skyelark (T2B)
    Upper High Road
    Lower Bittersweet

They lost Launch Pad and Upper Bittersweet since Sunday.

They may close Upper Skye Hawk soon because the runout is almost gone.

It was difficult skiing yesterday.  They chose not to groom.  The fog held on most of the AM.  The bumps on Superstar were exhausting and most of the rest of the open terrain was very variable.  

Today and the weekend should be better.
    Apr. 30, 2017 - Sun.

Except for Superstar, there was noticeably a lot less snow on the other open terrain.

There was no change in open trails since my Apr. 27 report, although one of the cutbacks from Upper Skyelark to Superstar was gone.  Skyehawk was open even though some walking was required both at the top and bottom.

There was a hard freeze last night so the snow started firm, softened in the sunshine and firm as temps went down and we had a brief shower at the bottom with sleet and freezing rain at the top.  Around 1:15, it really began to pour, so I called it a day.

There was a good crowd for this late in the season with a short line all day until the rain came.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    I'll be there tomorrow.
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    It's great to see the Superstar webcam showing side to side coverage for where guns are placed. Excited for the May and June riding.
    The weather pattern seems to be conspiring against sunny weekends - even rain free weekends - this month :-(  The forecast for the weekend of May 12-14, 2017 isn't looking promising.
  • riverc0ilriverc0il advanced

The weather pattern seems to be conspiring against sunny weekends - even rain free weekends - this month :-(  The forecast for the weekend of May 12-14, 2017 isn't looking promising.

Might go on Saturday regardless. Been waiting for a perfect sunny spring weekend for a while now, it just doesn't seem like it is going to happen. Looks like Saturday morning to early afternoon may be rain free... though far from perfect sunny spring bumps...