2016-2017 World Cup

Comments

• riverc0ilriverc0il advanced
    edited November 2016 Posts: 221

Did anyone ski there today? If so, how was it?

Who cares! Shiffrin won the first World Cup event held in the northeast in 25 years!  \:D/

Sorry, just busting your chops for looking for a trip report in a thread about the World Cup. :P
  • ski_itski_it expert
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • marcskimarcski advanced

Velez Zuzulova called this her favorite race in North America.

"The crowds have never been like this in
    Aspen," she said of the Colorado stop on the women's circuit. "They were
    making noise for me, too," she added. "They were cheering for
    everybody."

• slathamslatham intermediate
    riverc0il said:

Awesome experience, what a crowd. 

If you are attending tomorrow, get there earlier than you think you need to. By like, an hour (on top of your already planned early arrival time). If you can park at Snowshed or Ramshead and can walk to/from, you'll have a much easier time getting in and out. The bus to and from Skyeship was a loooooong wait. Looked the same for Pico from the other side.

I should have set my alarm an hour earlier. I had planned to arrive more than an hour before the start but arriving two hours before the start would have been better. Still not sure that would be earlier enough to get parking near Snowshed or Ramshead, perhaps someone else that tried the Access Road can comment. I only saw the start of the race because it was delayed. 

Thank you very much for this insight. We went Sunday and got an earlier start than originally planned based your report. We arrived at about 7:50 and were able to park at Snowshed, but in another 15-20 the lot was full. Made all the difference - we were able to use bathrooms and eat breakfast at Snowshed with no issue. Walked right onto a shuttle and were on the side hill by 8:45. Then we were able to walk back to car.

And what a race! Just incredible. I have to think they will be back at Killington and other eastern resorts.

Thanks again.

• slathamslatham intermediate
    marcski said:

Also, don't forget, 16,000 people is nothing for a ski race in the scheme of things. They get 50,000 on a Tuesday night in Schlaadming every year for a slalom race.

I read that the Killington event had "one of the biggest crowds for a women's WC event". To me that implies it wasn't the biggest but was in the top echelon.

I would be interested to see actual numbers though - anyone have any data?

• lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    16K Saturday is accurate. Reports today said the weekend averaged 15k, so that would imply 14K Sunday.

Only crowd bigger for women is Flachau night race, in the order of 20K. Men's and women's WC races are apples to oranges as far as attendance. 16k is huge as far as a ski race, and having been in throng both days I can attest to the fact that it was pretty exciting stuff. Kitzbzühel and Schladming are orders of magnitude crazier, for sure- more people and far more alcohol, but this was pretty cool.
    The big question is whether K's management wants to go through with it again LOL. I can't imagine this was an easy event to prepare for an execute. Though they DID execute and BIG TIME. I can only hope K is rewarded financially due to the exposure (and hopefully during the event itself). Many years ago I was a K hater but they've earned my respect across the board for how they currently run their operation. This took some big time guts to go after, get the nod, and make happen.

Naysayers could suggest that K got lucky with favorable snowmaking temps when they needed it. But an easy response is to point out that a rockies WC event was cancelled due to lack of snow. With climate change continuing to make weather funky and abnormal, a strong snowmaking system is a HUGE plus in terms of being able to prepare for an early event.

Glad it worked out for you slatham. I probably should have gone Sunday instead of Saturday (I knew Shiffrin had a better chance at SL than GS) but it worked out better for me to go Saturday. I watched the SL via internet stream and it was very exciting leading up to her final run! Having been there Saturday, I can only imagine how the crowd reacted after her win! There was so much energy and excitement for both of her GS runs but you could feel a huge crowd deflation both finishes. Just goes to show you what a great racer that Shiffrin is when a 5th place in a discipline that is not her specialty was a disappointment!!
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    slatham said:

marcski said:

Also, don't forget, 16,000 people is nothing for a ski race in the scheme of things. They get 50,000 on a Tuesday night in Schlaadming every year for a slalom race.

I read that the Killington event had "one of the biggest crowds for a women's WC event". To me that implies it wasn't the biggest but was in the top echelon.

Locals at Killington said: It was the biggest crowd ever for a woman's non-final event ever.

I was at Killington today and spoke to a number of locals: The hotels and the restaurants had record weeks. The consensus was that there were two minor glitches: On Saturday, there were not enough shuttle buses to handle the crowd - and both days: The Killington base area didn't have adequate rest room facilities and they didn't order enough porta-potties. But all-in-all, a total success.

It's a no-brainer that the WC will return to Killington.  However, it was also reported on AZ that the 2017-8 sched is already set, so probably not next year.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    riverc0il said:

Did anyone ski there today? If so, how was it?

Who cares! Shiffrin won the first World Cup event held in the northeast in 25 years!  \:D/

Sorry, just busting your chops for looking for a trip report in a thread about the World Cup. :P
    :-)
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced

slatham said:

marcski said:

Locals at Killington said: It was the biggest crowd ever for a woman's non-final event ever.

I was at Killington today and spoke to a number of locals: The hotels and the restaurants had record weeks. The consensus was that there were two minor glitches: On Saturday, there were not enough shuttle buses to handle the crowd - and both days: The Killington base area didn't have adequate rest room facilities and they didn't order enough porta-potties. But all-in-all, a total success.

It's a no-brainer that the WC will return to Killington.  However, it was also reported on AZ that the 2017-8 sched is already set, so probably not next year.
    The WC schedule for next season is currently tentative. The final, official schedule, doesn't get realized until after the May meeting of the F.I.S.

Killington and Squaw Valley didn't get their official schedule spots until May of this year. I'm guessing the folks at the F.I.S. might rethink the tentative schedule for next season based on the amazing event Killington, The US Ski and Snowboard Association and the Vermont Alpine Racing Association pulled off!

Fingers crossed!!
  • obienickobienick expert
    Killington at least had it on the tentative schedule following the October FIS meeting.

I have a feeling it will be back.  Killington had no luck with snowmaking. This was one of the warmest October and Novembers ever. And they delivered.  All the skiers loved it.  One - I think the girl who came in 2nd in the SL - said she was even getting cheers for her run which rarely happens.   The only downside is that no other area had terrain open for the teams to train on. But in nearly every other fall they would have.

I also think once Killington is given a more permanent spot, we'll see a snowmaking improvement to Superstar like extending the skiers' right pipe further up the trail.

You are right, Riv, this wasn't easy. But they now have the experience in the belt to make the WC return easier.
  • marcskimarcski advanced

16K Saturday is accurate. Reports today said the weekend averaged 15k, so that would imply 14K Sunday.

Only crowd bigger for women is Flachau night race, in the order of 20K. Men's and women's WC races are apples to oranges as far as attendance. 16k is huge as far as a ski race, and having been in throng both days I can attest to the fact that it was pretty exciting stuff. Kitzbzühel and Schladming are orders of magnitude crazier, for sure- more people and far more alcohol, but this was pretty cool.
    Yes. I was thinking numbers for mens races and not womens! Glad you all had an awesome time who ventured to watch.
  • newpylongnewpylong advanced
    obienick said:

Killington at least had it on the tentative schedule following the October FIS meeting.

I have a feeling it will be back.  Killington had no luck with snowmaking. This was one of the warmest October and Novembers ever. And they delivered.  All the skiers loved it.  One - I think the girl who came in 2nd in the SL - said she was even getting cheers for her run which rarely happens.   The only downside is that no other area had terrain open for the teams to train on. But in nearly every other fall they would have.

I also think once Killington is given a more permanent spot, we'll see a snowmaking improvement to Superstar like extending the skiers' right pipe further up the trail.

You are right, Riv, this wasn't easy. But they now have the experience in the belt to make the WC return easier.
    That short water line was only put in to cover the dreaded "S" curve that develops in the spring. It's only been used a handful of time. I don't think you will see it extended as the prevaling winds will make it nearly impossible to use it up higher . There is a reason snowmaking lines are 99% of the time on the same side of the trail.
  • newpylongnewpylong advanced
    edited November 2016 Posts: 436
    Double post
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    Limited to no skiing here in the east,  Killington a relatively easy place to get to for people in the northeast, skiers eager for an excuse to get out to ski country = 16,000 spectators on Saturday and 14,000 weekend average. If the races were in January or February, with everyone on skis, probably not so many spectators. 
    I don't think the European ski team honchos want World Cup races here mid-season. The skiers seem to like it but the officials don't, or at least haven't in past years. The first WC races - downhill, giant slalom, slalom (the super G hadn't been invented yet) - was in 1967 at Cannon for men and women. I think it was the first WC event of the season. It was moved here because Europe was having an early-season snow drought. I don't remember that the crowd of spectators was very large. Jean Claude Killy won all three men's races.
    This is a story I got from several people who said they got it from people "who knew it was true." I don't know about that so I won't swear to it, but it's a pretty good story. The Europeans objected to having the 1980 Winter Olympics at Lake Placid. They wanted the games in Europe.
    Someone in the European delegation (allegedly) said, "The Americans don't have the technical know-how to run a proper Olympics."
    To which one of the American coaches (again allegedly) answered "We don't have the technical know-how? Who put a man on the ------- moon?"
    So the Olympics were in Lake Placid and we had enough hockey know-how for the Miracle on Ice. 
    To bring it back to the topic, congrats to Killington for beating the weather odds and putting on some very interesting races. And feel free to correct any errors or omissions you find in my ramblings.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    If it had been the 1932 or 1960 Olympics he would have said, "We don't have the technical know-how? Who will put a man on the ------- moon, if not the USA?"
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    edited November 2016 Posts: 759
    Well if the Europeans wanted to have the Olympics in Europe, they should have submitted a bid. Lake Placid was the only host to bid for the '80 games (at least in part due to the '76 Denver debacle).

I don't agree with your analysis about crowds and different winters. The vast majority of people in my grandstands were ski racer kids and their families. But a non-insignificant portion of the people in the general admission just wandered over from skiing (or at least were using the off time before/between runs to ski.  I have a feeling VARA's involvement with the kids' parade contributed to a good audience figure. 

I guess the question to ask is: was anyone skiing elsewhere on Saturday and Sunday, and how many people were there vs a normal Thanksgiving with limited terrain?

I do think there will be a decrease in turnout in future years, it's just the nature of these things.  There will be some who think "well, we went last year, let's ski this year".  And there's always going to be more hype about something that will possibly be a one-off than an annual event .  However, the marketing of the races could have been better.  At a very minimum, there were very very few Canadians present despite Montréal only being a half hour further than Boston.  Granted it's not a holiday weekend for them, but it's relatively a short drive.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 759
    Is it too early to start a '17-'18 WC thread? 

There is a "high likelyhood" it'll return!
    I saw a lot of Canadians there, at least the ones carrying overt symbols or coats with logos. Otherwise, how could you know if they were or were not there? But I saw plenty. Just like the USA audience, a lot of ski teams travelling together with kids and adults. 

If the race were mid-season, I think K would lose a LOT of kid racers. Once the season gets going, they are racing most weekends once we are into the new year. Those racer kids and their parents wouldn't be able to attend a WC race if they also had a race to run themselves. Unless the WC was confirmed well in advanced of the kids race schedules and those agencies agreeing to not race on the WC weekend so everyone could go and watch... 

Early season makes sense, K has the firepower to make it happen even during a marginal month like this November. None of the race programs have "must do" events, they are just starting training. With not much open terrain, guys like me didn't think twice about giving up a ski day to go watch the race, way more fun than skiing a WROD. It is well timed for the audience on all fronts.
    Same weekend, 2018
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Svindal is back!  Jansrud 1st Svindal 2nd in Val d'Isere SG today

Ryan Cochran-Siegle had a decent finish
    edited December 2016 Posts: 759

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}

USA Ladies finished 2-3-4-6-24-36-45 in the final Lake Louise DH training run yesterday on the shortened course.  1st DH race in just under an hour. 2nd DH race tomorrow.

edit: no matter what I do I keep getting this weird p.p1 text at the start of this?

LL webcam: https://www.skilouise.com/conditions/mountain-cam.php

Talk about flat light...wow
    That's a completely different atmosphere than Killington.
    1st Ladies' Downhill (1st Lake Louise):

1.  STUHEC Ilka (SLO)
    2.  GOGGIA Sofia (ITA)  +0.22
    3.  KLING Kajsa (SWE)  +0.31

Americans:
    6.  COOK Stacey  +1.06
    9.  ROSS Laurenne  +1.54
    11.  JOHNSON Breezy  +1.60
    18.  SHIFFRIN Mikaela  +1.99  <-- 1st WC DH start
    23.  WILES Jacqueline  +2.20
    31.  SMITH Leanne  +2.70
    48.  MARNO Anna  +4.42
    --   MCKENNIS Alice  DNF

Massive crash by Joana Haehlen (SUI) into the A net after the Waterfall jump. She even did a number on the netting. Despite her loud screams heard on the live stream, she was able to ski off on her own.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Shiffrin said she was going to ramp up her speed program, didn't know it would be so soon!  Impressive first entry!!!! 
    I meant to post that the massive crash paused the race for about 10 minutes and Mikaela was the 1st starter after. Which makes her 18th that much more impressive.  

I only did GS racing back in my time racing. DH is far more dangerous. I can't imagine a pause like that is that helpful.
    1st Men’s DH (Val d’Isère)

1.  JANSRUD Jketil (NOR)
    2.  FILL Peter (ITA)  +0.26
    3.  SVINDAL Askel Lund  +0.33

Americans:

15.  NYMAN Steven  +1.40
    22.  GANOG Travis  +2.04
    37.  WEIBRECHT Andrew  +2.77
    48.  BENNETT Bryce  +4.21
    56.  GOLDBERG Jared  +5.06
    --  BIESEMEYER Thomas  DNS
    2nd Ladies’ Downhill (2nd Lake Louise)

1.  STUHEC Ilka (SLO)  
    2.  GUT Lara (SUI)  +0.11
    3.  MIKLOS Edit (HUN)  +0.43

Americans:
    7.  ROSS Laurenne  +1.02
    11.  COOK Stacey  +1.38
    13.  SHIFFRIN Mikaela  +1.46
    21.  JOHNSON Breezy  +2.07
    26.  MCKENNIS Alice  +2.28
    30.  WILES Jacqueline  +2.59
    34.  SMITH Leanne  +2.80
    --  MARNO Anna  DNF

Tough conditions, especially for the later starters as it started snowing pretty hard.  The truncated course was truncated further, starting from the Men's SG start.  Anna Marno caught her edge and a ski came off and with the way she fell her knee was twisting like a rag doll.  She skied for a bit, but video was showing patrol looking at her knees on the side of the course.  I don't know what her status is.
  • ski_itski_it expert

Ok stupid question, and I'm too lazy to look it up, why two downhills at the same venue? Is one a make-up date?