2016-2017 World Cup

marcskimarcski advanced
It's never too early to start this thread discussion, especially with the 1st race on the horizon about a month away and keeping fingers crossed for Turkey day races at K-mart in just over 2 months.

Also, I came across this article about Bode attempting a comeback for this season. But, he wants to ski on his Bomber Skis and Head USA is suing him based on a contract they signed after he "retired".

http://www.powder.com/stories/news/bode-miller-sues-head-usa-world-cup-comeback-attempt/#F8Y84HwE1PJRoWG6.97

Comments

• ski_itski_it expert
    Semantics but it says Miller & Bomber sued Head USA. Head USA is thinking of countersuing.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • obienickobienick expert
    Bode is trying to get out of basically a non-compete clause.  Employers may require you to sign one, but they are illegal to enforce.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    I kind of figured Killington would have had their hoses connected on Superstar with the intent of stock piling at the top of the HSQ as soon as there was even marginal SM wx at the top - but to date, I've heard that they have not.
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    edited September 2016 Posts: 1,153
    marcski said:

It's never too early to start this thread discussion, especially with the 1st race on the horizon about a month away and keeping fingers crossed for Turkey day races at K-mart in just over 2 months. 

Overall...I doubt anybody has the stuff to beat Hirscher.   With Vonn just doing speed events, I expect Rebensburg will be the one to give Gut a run for her money.  Unsure if Shiffrin is 100%?  She was starting to make noise in other disciplines, I recall she did fairly well in a Super G prior to her injury.  If she's back on course, anything is possible.

And the question everyone's asking, will Anna Veith (Vieth?) ever be as good as Anna Fenninger  ;)

US Ski Team published their roster, at first glance I thought it was some kind of senior tour  
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited September 2016 Posts: 1,805

I kind of figured Killington would have had their hoses connected on Superstar with the intent of stock piling at the top of the HSQ as soon as there was even marginal SM wx at the top - but to date, I've heard that they have not.

They probably don't want anyone stealing/damaging them during the Brewfest 9/30 or the Witchcraft the weekend after. ;) Could perhaps also interfere with mtn. biking?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced

I have heard, unofficially, that snow makers are on call beginning Columbus Day weekend.   I hope we get a test, for marketing, much sooner than that, but it is not K's style.  Usually when the guns go on it is for real.
    Chuckstah said:

I have heard, unofficially, that snow makers are on call beginning Columbus Day weekend.   I hope we get a test, for marketing, much sooner than that, but it is not K's style.  Usually when the guns go on it is for real.
    That's pretty normal for Killington. Oct. 18 was opening day last season.
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    I think the reality is as we all know, Killington knows what they're doing when it comes to making snow.

With their staffing, just because the hoses aren't hanging on the turrets yet, doesn't mean that that can't get them in place within a few hours.

Lastly, with the ground still very warm,  the concept of starting to stockpile with only a few hour window, and then some warming temps predicted a few days later doesn't make any sense.  My hunch is the stock piling will start when they see a run with say 6-8+ hour windows and then an extended forecast that shows the ability to operate like that, or even better for longer windows, extending out a number of days
    I can't imagine it takes a long time to cart hoses up a mountain.  What's the big deal about hoses?
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    obienick said:

I can't imagine it takes a long time to cart hoses up a mountain.  What's the big deal about hoses?

Go set a trail and then you will see.

They're heavy, you need a lot of them, and unless it's flat it's tough going lugging them around. Luckily K has access to a big crew and a lot of equipment but hoses are not something that are setup instantly, it takes time.
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    It's here. First weekend of races from Soelden. Women tomorrow and men on Sunday. I am psyched!! Will Mikaela start the season strong??
    I'm predicting yes to that!!!    :)]  :)]  :)]  :)]

question in my mind is, can Ted the Shred come back from that ACL thing
    Tina Maze just made it official, she's not coming back LINKY

Where's MMQB!?!?    

Killington tix to be mailed by the 28th and should be received by the 4th.
    marcski said:

I love ski racing!!!  So psyched to be watching the WC again!!

Soelden looks beautiful!

• RemskiRemski advanced
    trending to white on North Ridge. Catch it before sun down.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited October 2016 Posts: 1,805

Tina Maze just made it official, she's not coming back LINKY

Where's MMQB!?!?    

They've been missing since SJ2 began...the character limit probably wouldn't work for them anyhow.

I briefly tried last season to post WC info but there seemed to be no interest so I gave up by 12/6.  http://snowjournal.nplas.com/discussion/comment/6329/#Comment_6329

Probably cause you can get it all up to date right here:

http://www.fis-ski.com/alpine-skiing/news-multimedia/news/

I was looking at the results and was thinking, who are these guys?  I was on the wrong tab, ski jumping results.  ;))

So when I got to the real ones and saw Ligety fifth it was actually a relief (since he apparently didn't enter the jumping competition back on October 1st)  I realize that's not up to past performance, but all things considered I'd say that's a good showing.  Pinturault/Hirscher/Neureuther is kind of what I expected, although figured Hirscher for top spot.

Ladies it's cool to see Shiffrin finish so well in a GS!  Of course Gut's performance is pretty shocking.  -1.44 
    :-O :-O
  • loafasaurloafasaur intermediate
    obienick said:

Bode is trying to get out of basically a non-compete clause.  Employers may require you to sign one, but they are illegal to enforce.

Like so many things involving law and lawyers, the short answer on enforceability of a non-compete is "it depends."  Primary considerations are (1) the scope of activities prohibited to the (former) employee, although that's usually based on what the employee is trying to compared to how the employer's business would be affected if the employee is allowed to do it, (2) the geographic area covered by the non-compete has to be reasonable in light of the employer' market area, (3) the length of time of the non-compete has to be reasonable in light of how long before the "competition" by the employee becomes a non-factor, and (4) the employee has to have a reasonable right to earn a living. 

It's easy to foresee the lawyers having lot$ of fun with this.  Maybe Bode could pull a Brady and ski the whole season while the lawyers duke it out.
    Bad news....Lindsey crashed and severely broke her humerus and had surgery to repair yesterday:

• ski_itski_it expert
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,805
    On a Copper Mtn training run. That stinks. At least she sounds upbeat. "I had successful surgery last night in Vail and everyone took great care of me," Vonn wrote. "While I am beyond frustrated by this latest setback, at least my knees are OK and I will return to the slopes as soon as possible, as I always do!"
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Copper has bad juju for Lindsey...two major injuries there in the past 3 years...she'll be back and will continue to win.

• ski_itski_it expert
    Mikaela Shiffrin won the first women's WC slalom of the season by a 0.72 seconds. She was awarded a reindeer for her efforts. 
    Looks like from Snapchat that Lindsey Vonn has external fixators down by her hand.
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

What are the odds that Beaver Creek fails Snow Control? IIRC they've been close to failing once or twice in recent memory. This fall certainly seems much worse out there with Copper without their full training coverage and pushing back opening, Vail pushing back opening, and Loveland and A-Basin struggling with terrain expansion.

On the other hand, Killington will undoubtedly pass. It'd be quite ironic that eastern Killington would pass and Lake Louise and Beaver Creek fail.
    Still pushing snow today:

I'm glad to see that Killington is very likely to make muster for the WC event.  From a purely fiscal POV,  will the revenues generated by the WC offset the huge cost that Killington has put into it - and does anybody know how much they have put into snowmaking, overtime, grooming, etc.?