24. 2016 10:29PM

Cannon
Mountain gets OK for major energy-efficiency project that will let it make more
snow for less

By John Koziol

Union Leader Correspondent

FRANCONIA — Come this ski season, Cannon Mountain, thanks to several major
upgrades, will reduce its energy usage by a third while adding 50 percent more
snowmaking capability at no additional cost.

Cannon officials on Wednesday confirmed that on July 13, Gov. Maggie Hassan and
the Executive Council approved a request by the Department of Resources and
Economic Development to enter into a Master Lease/Purchase agreement with
Pinnacle Public Finance in the amount of $5,907,512 to cover the cost of a
contract with Ameresco Inc. of Framingham, Mass.

Hassan and the Executive Council then approved a second request from DRED and
Cannon to enter a contract with Ameresco to “install and enact energy
efficiency and conservation measures” for both Cannon’s snowmaking and energy-supply
systems.

The cost of the project will be borne entirely by DRED, said Commissioner Jeff
Rose in a June 15 letter to Hassan and the Executive Council.

Although the contract with Ameresco extends only through Nov. 30, 2017, the
company has guaranteed that for five years after the project acceptance date,
Cannon, according to the contract, “will realize energy and cost savings” of
$386,565 annually. The energy savings will offset the annual bonding costs,
resulting in what was described in the requests as a “net zero project cost.”
In addition to the initial five years, the state can expand the guaranteed
savings period for three more five-year periods for a total of 20 years.

Ameresco will install 388 high efficiency/high output snow guns, Rose wrote, as
well as a new booster pump house to add “up to 50 percent more water output at
a lower energy output and cost,” in addition to installing “a new and more
efficient primary power supply line and high- and low-voltage transformers.”

When the measures are installed, “Cannon Mountain will reduce its energy
consumption by approximately 33 percent,” said Rose, while also generating the
aforementioned annual savings in energy costs.

- See more at:
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20160725/NEWS02/160729806#sthash.CEqluSlY.dpuf

Comments

good news thanks for posting.  nice to see a resort actually save energy 
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 4,667
    Bah most likely all 388 guns are going on the new semi private Taft Training Trail. And by semi I mean private
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 4,667

:D
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    I wonder if Cannon is getting the same deal on new guns as VT. areas received from the Efficiency VT. program?
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 2,493
    I wonder if Cannon is getting the same deal on new guns as VT. areas received from the Efficiency VT. program?

NH hasn't done that and the VT Efficiency program was open to all entrants. It would seem that DRED is footing the bill for this only because of the nature of Cannon's ownership.

Also an HKD Impulse is $3500-4500 so if you do the math on that for 388 guns even with the booster house and power lines it certainly isn't a deal. The VT areas were getting them for dirt cheap trading in the old ones.

ski_it said:

Bah most likely all 388 guns are going on the new semi private Taft Training Trail. And by semi I mean private

That was my first thought too.  But supposedly its 388 new HKD's on Cannon proper plus ~200 snowlogics at Mittersill 
    I've seen the plan and it spreads the new guns around the mountain in the interest of fairness to everyone.

From Ernie's to the base of the zoomer chair   -  5%
    Lower Cannon -  5%
    Brookside -  5%
    Rabbit Path -  5%
    Middle Cannon -  5%
    Rock Garden -  5%
    Gary's -  5%
    Taft Training Slope - 65%

FSC had nothing to do with this plan whatsoever.  It's 100% on the level... just like everything else at Cannon!

65% on Taft Training Slope? Good grief. The PR statement suggests that they are getting offsetting savings from lower energy costs. That to me suggests replacing older equipment. If they are installing a new system on Taft Training Slope, shouldn't they already be planning to get the most efficient system possible? Is the savings in comparison to outdated equipment that never would have even been installed in the first place?

Based on Timberleaf's numbers, the only major change at Cannon proper is essentially the opening of the season route from the Peabody (assuming they use Rock Garden/Lower Cannon instead of Gremlin which they should have been doing anyways, because it is wider and not quite as steep). Gary's is more snowmaking for FSC, Ernie's to Zoomer Chair is FSC. Rabbit Path I assume is added to get a link from Cannon to Mittersill for... FSC.

Totally on the up and up. Cannon guests aren't really interested in faster expansion and going top to bottom sooner. Just connect all the dots for FSC ASAP and everyone is happy.

;))
    Sorry... I forgot the <sarcasm> tags!  :)

Those numbers are all made up - I wouldn't be surprised if they were accurate... but just a joke.  For now anyway, until we see that the joke's on us.  Heads FSC wins, tails we lose.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 742
    Oh man, you got me on that one. You wrote that you "saw the plan" so I didn't even think it was a joke! I knew your last paragraph was a joke but I assumed the joke was after the "plan".
    I'm confused, why are they paying some third party with no snowmaking experience for pumps and guns?  Is someone connected politically?
    riverc0il said:

Oh man, you got me on that one. You wrote that you "saw the plan" so I didn't even think it was a joke! I knew your last paragraph was a joke but I assumed the joke was after the "plan".

I figured the first line with the 5% dedicated to the "do you know who I am?" run from the door at Ernie's to Zoomer lift line would be a dead giveaway! 
    The problem with that dead giveaway is that it is too realistic, I could actually see that happening. Or at least, it wouldn't surprise me even it sounds really dumb. That is just the state of things at Cannon right now...
    In a quick look this appears to give a couple other details.

ropeways.net | Home | 2016-08-05

Energy Efficiency Initiative at Cannon Mountain Expected to Cut Consumption 30 Percent

Projects are expected to be implemented for this coming winter

Franconia, NH – A series of energy efficiency initiatives now underway at Cannon Mountain is expected to reduce energy consumption at the ski area by about 30 percent, while significantly increasing snowmaking capabilities.

The State of New Hampshire signed a $5.1 million contract with the energy service firm Ameresco for the project.

“This is part of the state’s effort to reduce its energy consumption 50 percent by 2030,” said Commissioner Jeffrey Rose of the Department of Resources and Economic Development, which oversees operation of Cannon Mountain. “Even as this important project is anticipated to cut energy consumption, it will provide critical upgrades to important infrastructure at the ski area.”

The conservation measures include replacement of Cannon’s main-trunk powerline and upgrading the transformer; construction of a mid-mountain snowmaking booster pump house; installation of 388 high efficiency tower snowmaking guns, and lighting and weatherization upgrades.

The ski area’s aging primary power line will be replaced and select primary and secondary transformers will be upgraded, increasing power reliability and energy efficiency.

The pump house will move 50 percent more water to reach snowmaking trails on the upper mountain, increasing snowmaking capabilities on the upper slopes. The snowmaking tower guns replace older, less efficient equipment, which provides the greatest energy savings and improves operational efficiency on the mountain.

The project is funded through the state’s energy performance contract. Savings from the reduction in energy will be used to pay off the bond within 16 years. Work on the project is expected to begin in late July.
    Cannon Mountain, located in Franconia Notch State Park, Franconia, NH is owned and operated by the State of New Hampshire, Division of Parks and Recreation. The ski area has 95 trails and glades including the Mittersill slopes plus 11 lifts, including the new Valar T-bar. SKI Magazine readers have recently ranked Cannon one of the 20 best ski resorts in the East.

This week Cannon brought in the first 60 of its 388 new high efficiency HKD tower guns.  I hope HKD provides some extensive training for the Cannon snowmaking crew.  They are the hardest working team in the industry, but they don't always get it right. (or maybe they just haven't had the right equipment to work with).  If they can get these new guns dialed in it could be a game-changer for Cannon conditions.
    If you are used to adjusting air/water mixture at the hydrants, like for most older guns, moving to the HKD system is a learning curve but it is very small and easier once you get the hang of it. On the option that most customers buy the different stages can be adjusted simultaneously (air and water flows/mixtures accordingly.)  You leave the air and water hydrants wide open. Another benefit is its often far easier to get at the base of the gun vs the hydrants for adjustments. 
  • Did they drop all 60 of them off right at the Taft training slope?  Or perhaps they're being stored in Ernie's awaiting location assignment by FSC?  

I'm kidding.  Well, not really...

Did they drop all 60 of them off right at the Taft training slope?  Or perhaps they're being stored in Ernie's awaiting location assignment by FSC?  

I'm kidding.  Well, not really...
    My thoughts exactly.  But they claim these 60 are destined for the Front 5. 
    Won't Taft get SnowLogics via FSC like Barons?

Major improvements at Cannon and Mittersill for this winter

New Valar T-bar honors legendary ski instructors

UPDATED 4:46 PM EDT Sep 26, 2016Text Size:   WMUR

FRANCONIA, N.H. —The Valar T-Bar on Mittersill slopes at Cannon Mountain is bright red and the cherry on top for a summer of major improvements to this state-owned and operated ski area.

It could also be a game changer for ski racing in the region, particularly benefitting the University of New Hampshire ski team, Franconia Ski Club and the Holderness School which plan to host events here, including the NCAA's in March, 2017.

The $600,000 surface lift tips its hat to other surface lifts at Mittersill since the 1950s and is preferred by ski racers and their coaches.

It gives the maximum number of runs in the least amount of time and a valued training space.

It is a coach's dream come true.

No state money was used to build this t-Bar.

It is a gift to the state from donors in honor of the late ski instructorsPaul and Paula Kann Valar.

John DeVivo, general manager of Franconia State Park, said Monday that the T-bar is an "homage...to their service not only to the skiers of New Hampshire but to the ski industry at large."

The T-bar is the finishing touch to a massive summer of improvements for the state's ski area.

Huge gains in snowmaking should be expected this winter.

DeVivo noted thanks for the fundraising efforts spearheaded by the friends of Franconia Ski Club, Holderness School and several other organizations.

Here’s what DeVivo said has been going on this summer:

• The Mitersill Trail Improvement project, at $4 million fundraising effort nearing completion. This includes improvements on Baron's Run a widening of a main trail and t-bar, along with snowmaking.

• About $5 million in snowmaking, energy efficiency and infrastructure, not yet complete.

• About 420 new, state-of-the-art HKD snowmaking guns and three new HKD fan guns on the Cannon side.

- About 60 SnowLogic snowmaking guns on the Mittersill side, in addition to 60 last year.

• A new booster pumphouse at mid-mountain to add 50 percent more snowmaking capacity up top.

• Overall snowmaking capacity will increase by  50 percent.

• Energy efficiency. There will be a drop expected in overall snowmaking energy consumption, by about 60 percent due to new equipment.

• Snow grooming. A new $350K t Prinoth Bison-X groomer.

• A new, $130,000 warming hut and restroom facility at Mittersill.

DeVivo notes the timing is good as the University of New Hampshire plans to host its Division 1 Winter Carnival in January and the NCAA Alpine Championships in March 2017.

For more on helping the fundraising efforts still underway, visit http://www.franconiaskiclub.com/

Test
    looking at the webcam at the summit of Cannon I noticed that the Taft trail now. has snowmaking pipes and tower guns. Something new to me.
  • Well no matter your opinion on Cannon's ownership, funding, or management...it's undeniable that their recent snowmaking upgrades are proving to be a complete game-changer. They lit up the Front 5, plus Lower Cannon, and Gremlin to open with more options than I can ever remember.  They even had a respectable park in operation for opening weekend.  At the same time, they also focused their firepower on the upper mountain with  Profile, Upper Cannon, Ravine, Spookie, Upper Gremlin, and others all getting blasted.  And all this with barely a whisper of sound.  You could stand under the guns and have a normal conversation. This may not seem like magic to people from other mountains, but at Cannon it has always been an ear-splitting blast in the face with man-made sleet. 

We'll see how it all plays out over the season. But for right now this is one heck of an impressive start.   
  • I agree. I was there Sunday and it was stunning what they did with like, what, a week or less of snowmaking? And then to already be pushing for middle mountain and the summit with more than two complete unique runs top to bottom by the second weekend of operation plus the existing terrain... absolutely great! Lots of ungroomed snow to ski on the Front Five. If anything, I gotta question the decision to not finish the job on the front five... while I was loving the ungroomed.... the grooming left a bit to be desired for intermediates. Especially Gary's which had only two passes of grooming including a few "ridges". Minor issue, not one that I care about, but I think some intermediates might have been disappointed with the offerings this past weekend. Also, amazingly, they had the newbie lift open with beginner terrain on Brookside. While grooming conditions were not ideal for intermediates, they truly opened with some terrain for everyone from beginner to expert.
    This year is the first one I can remember 3 runs on the front five on opening weekend.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 1,435
    It's strange. One of Rocket's complaints about Cannon and state ownership is the expense of operating their old A/W system and the sluggishness at opening terrain. And yet he b*****ed on his anti-Cannon site that they invested heavily in snowmaking infrastructure despite ignoring the well-documented cost savings in the medium-term and the immediate return of quicker terrain expansions.

We saw this exact turn of events with Loon.  They were able to make a lot more snow early season with their low-E HKD push and were even fighting for 1st in NH honors. We've seen this exact same thing with Stowe recently as well.  And Wildcat, too.  Okemo, Stratton, and Bretton Woods have used this strategy for 15+ years now.  

The good news is that Cannon isn't [as] air-limited now. 
    obienick said:

It's strange. One of Rocket's complaints about Cannon and state ownership is the expense of operating their old A/W system and the sluggishness at opening terrain. And yet he b*****ed on his anti-Cannon site that they invested heavily in snowmaking infrastructure despite ignoring the well-documented cost savings in the medium-term and the immediate return of quicker terrain expansions

Because the investment and debt service are guaranteed by taxpayers, they have no incentive whatsoever to increase efficiency or provide a better product. 

Rivercoil stated: ' Gary's which had only two passes of grooming including a few "ridges"' 
    Are they grooming limited now, or do they just not think anyone would care about a 150 foot wide trail with 25 feet of it groomed poorly?
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 681

"they have no incentive whatsoever to increase efficiency or provide a better product. "

Well then more power to them, because even with no apparent incentive they are being much more efficient and providing a MUCH better product. 
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 70
    It's hard to find much/any fault with the new snowmaking at Cannon.  Sure, maybe you could say only spend half of the $5M on snowmaking and the other half on lift improvements, but that just means Mittersill would get ALL of the new guns.  And a new lift.

As for grooming, I don't fault the groomers for rolling on warm wet snow.  Honestly, rather than being upset about the grooming on Gary's I think everyone was flat out shocked that FSC hadn't annexed the groomed ribbon the way they usually do.

Too busy holding court in the Zoomer chair unload area I suppose.  I'm being kind, some might say they were standing right in the way all day oblivious to the huddled masses trying to exit the chair.  
    Some might say...

The ridges (trenches, foxholes, crevices) on Rocket made Gary's look like butter.  I half expected to see smaller kids get swallowed up like you see in earthquake movies.  All in good fun, of course... it's Cannon after all, maimed kids are just part of the "living legend".

You have to ask why they'd focus on the front 5 for opening in lieu of top to bottom.  Is it more important to have an expert trail (Zoomer) or to have the HSQ open and access to the top?  Other areas focus early season on north facing terrain at elevation with a single route down near the bottom.  Cannon chose to do the opposite.  Interesting, isn't it?

Given the way things went last year - All Gremlin all the time well into December - you have to wonder whether Cannon management was influenced by the fact that it's WAY more convenient for FSC to have the front 5 (3) opened.  

(Thurston Howell III voice) "Lovey, we were getting dressed in that dreadful Peabody lodge for over 3 weeks last year!  The indignity of it all!"  

Fast forward to present day, bury the front 3 for opening day and Ernie's is in business from day 1.  
    Just sayin...

• It's hard to find much/any fault with the new snowmaking at Cannon. 
    YES! this^

As for grooming, I don't fault the groomers for rolling on warm wet snow.
    And this^

Honestly, rather than being upset about the grooming on Gary's I think everyone was flat out shocked that FSC hadn't annexed the groomed ribbon the way they usually do.
    Ha! Absolutely this^

Too busy holding court in the Zoomer chair unload area I suppose.  I'm being kind, some might say they were standing right in the way all day oblivious to the huddled masses trying to exit the chair.  
    Some might say...
    Some might say it was Cannon Ski Patrol clogging up even more of the unload area than FSC.  What exactly were 6-8 patrollers doing standing there literally ALL day Saturday??  Maybe they are all FSC grads.