Magic updates?

Comments

• ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    Black is a go for tomorrow. See you all there!
    Chuckstah said:

Great! Maybe I'll go to Magic instead of Black now.
    - Sam
  • MrMagicMrMagic advanced

Chuckstah said:

Do it if you have never been or even if you have looks like trails and snow will be amazing
    edited February 18 Posts: 323
    Magic skied great today. Manageable lines and nice snow. Some leftover soft stuff with a bit of scratch early and a touch of spring later. Wax 'em up for tomorrow! Sorry about the sideways pic.image
    20170218_140928.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
  • ciscokidciscokid expert

Chuckstah said:

Sam I know I can count on more pics from you
    ciscokid said:

Chuckstah said:

Sam I know I can count on more pics from you
    Camera batteries are charged and ready to go. Bluebird day at Magic, here I come! :D
    - Sam
  • DrJeffDrJeff advanced
    Magic today... Packed! Had to STOP selling lift tickets in the afternoon as both the Red and Black had 10 to 15 minute lines!!!

So much fun, soft snow (yup, mother nature is going to take a toll on that this week), great sun on your face riding up the lifts (especially the Black), a BIG crowd in the BLT and out on the deck!

Just AWESOME to see Magic doing well!!
    Magic was amazing today! They did stop selling tickets around 11:30 and lift lines were sometimes 20 minutes long, but the skiing was outstanding. Watch for a full report tomorrow!
    - Sam
  • slathamslatham advanced

Already progress being made for 2017/18. Yes, resurrecting the Green Chair!

• djspookmandjspookman advanced
    slatham said:

yessir! "sunshine corner express"
    ;)
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    slatham said:

Still two days til April 1st...
  • newpylongnewpylong advanced
    Not a joke. They plan to look at resurrecting.
  • djspookmandjspookman advanced
    newpylong said:

Not a joke. They plan to look at resurrecting.

Nope, they're on it for sure! 
  • TomWhiteTomWhite advanced
    The photo (Green Chair with new green paint) didn't paste from their FaceBook page. But below are a few replies to questions.

Magic Mountain Ski Area

Yesterday at
    11:21am
     · 

Ops wanted to
    showcase one of our next big capital expenditure projects #greenchair #midmtnlift #makebettermagic #skimagic

Magic Mountain Ski Area new
    assemblies required...

Magic Mountain Ski Area We
    are going try and get it open for next season. Will help Magic open earlier
    than ever with snowmaking and provide easier access to our terrain for families
    with young kids learning to ski.

Magic Mountain Ski Area Haha.
    Yeah, no skimping on snowmaking as you can already tell by what we've done this
    year. We will be expanding water volume with a pond and stream project this
    summer in conjunction with the state of Vermont's need to take ponds "off
    stream" and we will be investing in pipe repairs, and have operational
    budget to cover more terrain starting in November whenever temps provide a
    snowmaking window.

This is the FB pic of "Grean", as well as a pic ot the top terminal and liftline I took last Sunday. imageimageimage
    Screenshot_2017-03-31-21-27-07.png
    854 x 480 - 499K
    Screenshot_2017-03-29-19-21-35.png
    854 x 480 - 506K
    Screenshot_2017-03-29-19-21-47.png
    854 x 480 - 152K
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    No April fools joke

https://www.magicmtn.com
    Wow. Great news

Dated April 5, I removed some to fit:

In looking toward the future, Ski Magic LLC investors met recently and approved a number of major capital projects to continue our progress​​

1) Lift Expansion: In order to make Magic even more accessible to young families and non-advanced skiers, Ski Magic will be investing in a new base area mid-mountan lift (the Green Chair), partially installed in the early 2000s but never finished. It is our objective to finish it for the start of 2017-18 season. Beginner and intermediate trails from Sunshine Corner will be easily accessible; it will help crowd flow on race days for accessng Show Off; and just as important, the Green Chair will allow an earlier season start to operations as lower half terrain can be covered more quickly with snowmaking.

In addition to the Green Chair, Magic will be investing in a new conveyor lift (magic carpet) for a new beginner area (Little Dipper area over to the right of the Black Chair looking up near condos). This will become our Snowsports Learning Center's home base for "learn-to-ski" lessons. The current handle tow lift will continue operation where it is on Hocus Pocus with that area being transformed into a terrain park/rail jam area for freeriders of all ages which will include larger jumps higher up on the trail.

Finally, Magic will be upgrading the Black Summit Chair from a double to a triple capacity lift by investing in a higher horsepower motor and drive. More lifts, more capacity, more beginner-friendly, and earlier season openings!  

2) Snowmaking Expansion:

There will be extensive snowmaking pipe repair and replacement, to lessen downtime due to pipe ruptures and Magic will be testing more pipe, on more trails, so we can cover more terrain than in prior years on both the East and West sides of the mountain. Our operating budget calls for increased snowmakng expenditures in order to initiate system turn-on in early/mid November to create significant snowmaking trail count to insure a varierty of terrain for Christmas Week rather than simply one or two ways down the mountain.

In order to have adequate water supply for more snowmaking coverage, Magic will be embarking on a major snowmaking pond project this summer in coordination with the state of Vermont regulators who want ponds taken "off stream" in order to protect fish downstream. While we undertake this major operation which wll require re-routing a feeder stream and a new dam for the pond, Magic will be increasing the gallonage of the pond with the new dam and reestablishing the old brook pump to help refill the pond during allowable high water flow periods. 

Finally, Magic will be investing in some additional energy-efficient snowmaking guns to complement our new fleet of HKDs from this season.

All that's left for Magic to complete this masterful ensemble is to re-open Timberline, t-bar and all!

IBRAKE
    Let's if this displays better than my previous post:

In looking toward the future, Ski Magic LLC
    investors met recently and approved a number of major capital projects to
    continue our progress​​

1) Lift Expansion: In order to make Magic even more accessible to
    young families and non-advanced skiers, Ski Magic will be investing in a new
    base area mid-mountan lift (the Green Chair), partially installed in the
    early 2000s but never finished. It is our objective to finish it for the start
    of 2017-18 season. Beginner and intermediate trails from Sunshine Corner will
    be easily accessible; it will help crowd flow on race days for accessng Show
    Off; and just as important, the Green Chair will allow an earlier season start
    to operations as lower half terrain can be covered more quickly with
    snowmaking.

In addition to the Green Chair, Magic will be
    investing in a new conveyor lift (magic carpet) for a new beginner area (Little
    Dipper area over to the right of the Black Chair looking up near condos). This
    will become our Snowsports Learning Center's home base for "learn-to-ski"
    lessons. The current handle tow lift will continue operation where it is on
    Hocus Pocus with that area being transformed into a terrain park/rail jam area
    for freeriders of all ages which will include larger jumps higher up on the
    trail.

Finally, Magic will be upgrading the Black
    Summit Chair from a double to a triple capacity lift by investing in a higher
    horsepower motor and drive. More lifts, more capacity, more beginner-friendly,
    and earlier season openings!  

2) Snowmaking Expansion:

There will be extensive snowmaking pipe repair and replacement, to lessen
    downtime due to pipe ruptures and Magic will be testing more pipe, on more
    trails, so we can cover more terrain than in prior years on both the East
    and West sides of the mountain. Our operating budget calls for increased
    snowmakng expenditures in order to initiate system turn-on in early/mid
    November to create significant snowmaking trail count to insure a varierty of
    terrain for Christmas Week rather than simply one or two ways down the
    mountain.

In order to have adequate water supply
    for more snowmaking coverage, Magic will be embarking on a major snowmaking
    pond project this summer in coordination with the state of Vermont regulators
    who want ponds taken "off stream" in order to protect fish
    downstream. While we undertake this major operation which wll require
    re-routing a feeder stream and a new dam for the pond, Magic will be increasing
    the gallonage of the pond with the new dam and reestablishing the old
    brook pump to help refill the pond during allowable high water flow
    periods. 

Finally, Magic will be investing in some
    additional energy-efficient snowmaking guns to complement our new fleet of HKDs
    from this season.

edited April 7 Posts: 253
    Excellent news.  The snowmaking investments will pay off and the Green lift is a big bonus.

What are the current snowmaking capabilities there?
  • newpylongnewpylong advanced
    They will be making snow on Lower Magic Carpet and Vertigo. Mystery used to have it but that's been cannibalized over the years.

If memory serves me, snow making ponds was something Les
    Otten (ASC) and environmentalists came to agree on. I’m not sure what having
    the ponds taken “off stream” means. That is the point of having ponds. They get
    filled during high flow (spring), so stream depth can remain natural during the
    winter so fish can survive. Now resorts around VT and elsewhere have these
    ponds. It is also good business sense. During the important pre-Christmas period,
    resorts have a dependable supply of millions of gallons of water for snow
    making.

While not a wide spread benefit, some fire protection is
    provided. When you see fire hydrants on rural roads near resorts, it is because
    snow making pipes are under ground. The road between Haystack and Mt. Snow has
    had these ever since Mt. Snow (ASC) built a pipeline to the Haystack pond. I
    presume that case will continue with the larger and longer pipe from West Lake.

• mapnutmapnut expert

I think off-stream just means that a pond doesn't intercept an existing stream, therefore it doesn't need a spillway or have any risk of overflowing. It could be filled either by pumping, or by gravity diversion from a nearby stream.

• slathamslatham advanced

All snowmaking ponds (probably all man made ponds) in VT cannot be fed by - and therefore themselves feed - a stream. From what I have been told by a reliable source, the issue is one of stream habitat. Ponds get warm and by releasing into a stream they cause a rise in the downstream water temp. So all ponds need to be storage ponds, with no connection to a stream, other than the ability to pump from the stream and into the storage pond when the stream is at or above a designated level. I also believe that the pond can be fed by non stream flow - which in Magic's case would be runoff from the base area, parking lots etc as long as it goes directly into the pond vs. the stream. I am sure Geoff and Matt will be finding out the particulars of this in the coming weeks.

Also, Re snowmaking on Mystery - it was only installed on the very top section via a "spur" coming down off of Wand to about where the Green chair is. This was to support racing on the trail in the old days. As it does not cover the lower section, and racing is now elsewhere, it was ripe for cannibalization.

• NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    Part of the master plan for the tremendous West Lake project at Mount Snow was the filling of East Pond on the Cold Brook created by an illegal gravel pit operation about 20 years ago, with a goal of re-establishing something akin to the original stream bed, plant and wildlife habitat. This is supposed to correct a several degree rise in water temps arising from the pond's existence and allow the natural habitats to heal on Cold Brook and the Deerfield River.. Even the construction road to the lake will be removed and mitigated as the project wraps up.

All water going to the lake will be collected and pumped from a point on Cold Brook Road & all water going to the mountain will pass through the same point and up a new pipeline along Cold Spring Road to Mount Snow.   

Thanks for those explanations. Certainly the temperature
    increase makes sense. What I still don’t understand is, while a man-made pond
    may not have a formal spillway, all ponds will over flow. At some point won’t that
    over flow reach a stream?

• obienickobienick expert
    Well yes you're not going to stop that.  But you can stop the practice of a stream feeding a pond that spills over the dam/weir downstream, which is not acceptable. The problem is the solubility of gases in water decreases with increasing temperature, meaning warmer water holds less oxygen.  Mid-winter streams already have very low flow and warming them up due to pond in the middle of a stream hurts the aquatic species.
    I get the elevated temperature and decreased oxygen. But it seems that filling via stream flow, especially if restricted to high flow periods would be fine. How are ponds discharged without going into streams?   
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited April 7 Posts: 819
    They are not concerned about no pond outputs. They're concerned about the constant output of a stream running into a pond flowing over its spillway/weir.