States that Don't Require Safety Bar on Chairlifts

When I went to Buck Hill, MN last December, I forgot to mention in my trip report that the chairlifts did not have safety bars.  What other states/provinces (that have chairlifts) do not require safety bars?

Comments

Sunlight, near Glenwood Springs, Colorado doesn't have safety bars on their lifts.

imageimageimage
  • There's a double at Mount Snow which was grandfathered in without a safety bar.
    - Sam

There's a double at Mount Snow which was grandfathered in without a safety bar.

Yeah I rode it once weird experience with out a bar but the lift is only like 100 feet long and not high off the ground in fact I think I read somewhere it is to be replaced with a carpet so that gives you some perspective of just how short the chair is
    I think the more realistic question would be " States that DO require a safety bar".
    1) Vermont
    2) ???
    Can't think of one West of the Mississippi-
    Not required here
  • LiftGuy said:

I think the more realistic question would be " States that DO require a safety bar".
    1) Vermont
    2) ???
    Can't think of one West of the Mississippi-

I believe all New England states require safety bars.
    - Sam
    Vermont requires you actually use them (State law). I don't believe others in NE have a law, but they all have safety bars.
  • I am no lawyer, but I think that page 20 of this document means that they are required in NYS (and a different NYS code requires skiers to use them): https://labor.ny.gov/workerprotection/safetyhealth/PDFs/Industry/Code_Rule_32_2010.pdf
    Maybe time for a different question:  Can anyone name a chairlift in New England or the Mid-Atlantic region that does not have a safety bar.  (I think the one at Mt. Snow that was suggested earlier in this thread has been retired.)
  • Maybe time for a different question:  Can anyone name a chairlift in New England or the Mid-Atlantic region that does not have a safety bar.  (I think the one at Mt. Snow that was suggested earlier in this thread has been retired.)

Nope, it's still there: http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/lifts/viewlift.php?id=878
    - Sam
    Last i knew 7 springs in PA had a chair without a safty bar. When i worked at Killington i was told that Vermont requires chairs to have safety bars but doesn't reauire. Their use. I was told the signs they have aaying its a law are just there to convince people. But that was 10 years ago.
    A lot of people fall off a chair trying to lower their ssfety bar which cancells out some of the safety it provides. Maybe its time to redesign the ease of lowering the bar.
    If you have ever ridden a chair at Smuggler's Notch you are well aware that VT requires the safety bar to be used. Lift attendants are vigilant, to the point that they have someone on each lift whose job it is to call out any chair that has not put theirs down quickly enough (by the first tower). If you don't, then expect to see a patroller at the top ready to take your ticket.

Not all areas are as aggressive, but most insist on it.

That being said, people can find any number of ways to fall out of a chair, with the bar up, down or in transit...s@#t happens.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 612
    ropetow said:

A lot of people fall off a chair trying to lower their ssfety bar which cancells out some of the safety it provides. Maybe its time to redesign the ease of lowering the bar.

As I remember on the 'Bluebird Express' Bubble Six Pack at Mount Snow they require at least one adult on each chair to lower the bar & bubble, problem solved. Great except it can get noisy in there with 5 'bubbly' kids' voices bouncing off the plastic.  

Actually, I haven't noticed many problems with lowering the bar. Misloads do seem common with groups of kids who are distracting each other while preparing to load and adults loading smaller child{ren}.  Nothing quite as interesting as seven chattering 8-9 year olds suddenly realizing that they are all trying to load the same quad chair, fortunately the lift attendants are generally alert when this age group is loading.

Preparing people for the possibility of a problem, without scaring them away from the sport, would make sense but I don't see much effort in this direction.

I did spot a series of short safety clips on the Mount Snow website, aimed at adults as well as the kids, read down the attached page for 3 shorts... 

There is a whole website dedicated to the subject as well:

http://labor.vermont.gov/tramway/passenger-tramway-safety-rules/

1007.2 Chairs

Each chair shall be equipped with a restraint bar, which shall not yield to forward pressure applied by passenger(s).

The passenger(s) must have the restraint bar fully closed except when they are embarking or disembarking the lift.

teighs said:

http://labor.vermont.gov/tramway/passenger-tramway-safety-rules/

1007.2 Chairs

Each chair shall be equipped with a restraint bar, which shall not yield to forward pressure applied by passenger(s).

The passenger(s) must have the restraint bar fully closed except when they are embarking or disembarking the lift.

I have a friend whose season pass was actually pulled for a week after repeated failures to close the safety bar. I don't know in which other states, using the safety bar is required by law.  It is not required in NH.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 1,811
    When I was skiing at Mammoth, California in June of 2006, Chair 22 had no safety bar and my son (6 years old at that time) was clinging to daddy.
    <p abp="321"><strong abp="322">Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.</strong></p>
  • Connecticut General Assembly Section 39-211 requires "passenger tramways, as defined in subparagraph (D) of subdivision (1) of section 29-201, are equipped with restraint devices"
    - Sam
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 4,839
    Summary to date:
    VT: Mt. Snow: Ski Baba (grandfathered)

PA: Can anyone confirm one at 7 Springs?

Examples cited at implying that the safety bar is optional:
    CA: Mammoth
    CO: Sunlight
    MI: Not required
    MN: Buck Hill

Specific Law with requirement cited:
    CT
    MA (added post NES13's posting)
    NY
    VT

Got more?
  • In Mass chairlifts must have safety bars & riders are required to use them.

525 CMR Section 10.09: "Each chair shall be equipped with a railing at each side, to a height of not less than four inches (10cm) above the seat for a distance of not less than 12 inches (30cm) from the back of the seat, and shall be equipped with a restraining device which will not open under forward pressure."

525 CMR Section 10.08: "Riders shall use all Tramway safety devices provided to ensure their safety. No person shall bypass, remove or make any safety device inoperable."

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dps/engineering/inf-eng/tramway-526-cmr-10-jun22.pdf
    - Sam

In Mass chairlifts must have safety bars & riders are required to use them.

525 CMR Section 10.09: "Each chair shall be equipped with a railing at each side, to a height of not less than four inches (10cm) above the seat for a distance of not less than 12 inches (30cm) from the back of the seat, and shall be equipped with a restraining device which will not open under forward pressure."

525 CMR Section 10.08: "Riders shall use all Tramway safety devices provided to ensure their safety. No person shall bypass, remove or make any safety device inoperable."

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dps/engineering/inf-eng/tramway-526-cmr-10-jun22.pdf

Interesting the variation in terminology for aerial lifts:
    Tramway, ropeway, chairlifts, cable cars, etc.
    Ski Baba at Mount Snow just about an hour ago! Still safety bar free!! And a TON of logging going around the immediate area for prep work for future Carinthia Base Area development and the new pumphouse for the West Lake snowmaking upgrades whenever those projects are financially cleared to go!
  • The ANSI code for the US will require all chairlifts in the US to have safety bars. The new code comes out in 2017.
    Whitefish Resort/Big Mountain, Montana. The Hellroaring Basin triple does not have a safety bar. 
    The only HSQ I've ever been on without a safety bar was at Alta.  Plenty other lifts in UT without them also.
    Anyone wanting to see Ski Baba, the Mount Snow lift without a safety bar should pop over to Carinthia soon. The lift is slated for removal & replacement with a Magic Carpet this summer. This, the tree removal & some grading can be done within their very limited budget this summer.
    "The ANSI code for the US will require all chairlifts in the US to have safety bars. The new code comes out in 2017.
    "

All chairlifts OR all new chairlifts? While I haven't heard anything about this change, I think requiring older lifts to be retrofitted would cause many to have reduced capacity do to the increased weight of the carrier. $0.02
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 8
    It is the only bad thing about Loveland, my favorite ski area in Colorado.  10 lifts.  No safety bars (actually they might have them on the 2 lifts at Loveland Valley...I haven't skiied that side) 

Its a real bummer.  And gets tiring on your legs with nothing to rest on.  And for snowboarders, forget it...they are miserable without a board rest. 
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 4,839
    2nd Summary:
    VT: Mt. Snow: Ski Baba (grandfathered)

Examples cited at implying that the safety bar is optional:
    CA: Mammoth
    CO: Sunlight, Loveland
    MI: Not required
    MN: Buck Hill
    MT: Whitefish/Big Mtn.
    UT: Alta

Specific Law with requirement cited:
    CT
    MA
    NY
    PA (added 5/3/16)
    VT

Got more?

You can add Pennsylvania to the list requiring safety bars.

(5)  Safe entrance, exit and support. Belts, bars, footrests and other equipment as may be necessary for safe entrance and exit and for support while the ride is in operation shall be provided. The equipment and the fastenings must be of sufficient strength to retain the passengers.

Chair lifts and amusement rides are regulated by the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Ride and Measurement Standards.