Smallest vertical area

2»

Comments

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    And the new leader:
    Gateway Hills Snowpark, Nashua, NH: 40 feet
  • AzSkiAzSki intermediate
    edited March 6 Posts: 34
    This may be one of the oldest little ski "areas" in the US? Any others like it that are that old?  Petoskey Winter Park seems to be the oldest mentioned yet.

• ski_itski_it expert
    AzSki said:

This may be one of the oldest little ski "areas" in the US? Any others like it that are that old?

You don't mean Gateway do ya? It's only 18 days old! Even less in skier days.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Mini Mountain!  Link    ;)
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    edited October 9 Posts: 243
    Gotta love these folks (Gateway Hills NH) - real record breakers in many categories ; first new ski area in NH since 1970, the steel container is the base lodge (an entry into the Hideous lodge contest?), its 40' vertical makes Macintyre look massive and takes Crotched's quickest summit ride (4 minutes) and reduces it to 1 minute 45 seconds. Do  we have a category for most rustic 'restrooms'?

Has anyone been by to see if they are prepping for the new season. The website says they ordered a new 100' rail for the 2017-18 season... may be the longest rail in the world relative to trail length.... 

Wonder who from Snow Journal has been there?

When do we have the Gateway Hills NELSAP trip?
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    I'll be driving past Gateway in the next coiple days. Ill swing in and take a look if time permits.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited October 9 Posts: 1,682
    Prepping?? The only prepping they need to do is to mow the field and fill the ATV groomer with gas.
    I've driven by on the highway several times and seen no activity but I only get a quick glimpse as I go by.
    It's not a base lodge... they don't want you putting your boots on in there.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    But.....We were promised snowmaking this season.... One or 2 guns will do.
    I guess you can use the Porta Potties for boot & clothes changes? Of course a Porta John is still cleaner than some ski area bathrooms I've seen.

Macintyre only uses six guns I think... one should do it. With a fan gun they might be able to borrow/rent a fire engine like Tenney did last year. Could they use a retention pond from the parking lots or is permitting & all that entails needed?
    I know that lysikjake has been there, but he hasn't posted in quite a while.

Regarding snowguns: Two is a good idea in case one breaks down.  I remember Prospect Hill (MA) in 1979-80 tried to make a go of it with one big gun.  It literally blew up on the hill one December night.  It was fortunate that no one was nearby as there was shrapnel everywhere.  (If I remember right, Nashoba Valley in a show of good will, loaned them some of their extra guns to get them through the season.)
    The skis in the picture below the question were the clue to who that is active has been there...

Maybe someone will loan Gateway a gun or 2 to get open.  It is at best a feeder area or a place to drop a few kids to get them out of the house for a few hours.
  • tededetedede advanced
    Gotta love these folks (Gateway Hills NH) - real record breakers in many categories ; first new ski area in NH since 1970, the steel container is the base lodge (an entry into the Hideous lodge contest?), its 40' vertical makes Macintyre look massive and takes Crotched's quickest summit ride (4 minutes) and reduces it to 1 minute 45 seconds. Do  we have a category for most rustic 'restrooms'?

Has anyone been by to see if they are prepping for the new season. The website says they ordered a new 100' rail for the 2017-18 season... may be the longest rail in the world relative to trail length.... 

This doesn't bode well: http://www.gatewayhillssnowpark.com/

Did you file a trip report for Gateway Hills?  Looking for a second patrolling gig? :)
    Maybe someone flipped the circuit breaker that powers the 'base lodge' to kill the coffee maker & took out the server too? It is smaller than our (Crotched Patrol) top shack after all.

Come to think of it, do they even have a ski patrol? A cascade toboggan and related gear could add up quickly on a small budget. Maybe a wear your cross and get a ticket operation? 

• ADKskierADKskier advanced
    Four Season golf and ski area, 59 foot vertical, tubing and double chair with one pole in between summit and base station.
    ~Rich~
    NELSBEER said:

Maybe someone flipped the circuit breaker that powers the 'base lodge' to kill the coffee maker & took out the server too? It is smaller than our (Crotched Patrol) top shack after all.

Come to think of it, do they even have a ski patrol? A cascade toboggan and related gear could add up quickly on a small budget. Maybe a wear your cross and get a ticket operation? 

Hmm.  I think CM could make good use of that Magic Carpet if they go under!
    NELSBEER said:

Crotched never held any records for fastest summit ride in NH. King Pine and McIntyre both have summit rides of about 3 minutes and most of the rope tow areas have ride times of 3 minutes or less.
    - Sam
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    NELSBEER said:

The skis in the picture below the question were the clue to who that is active has been there...

Maybe someone will loan Gateway a gun or 2 to get open.  It is at best a feeder area or a place to drop a few kids to get them out of the house for a few hours.
    Do they need any? I know of 2 older Lenkos for sale for cheap in NH.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    tedede said:

Did you file a trip report for Gateway Hills?

Filed
    I stopped in at Gateway Hills a few days ago.  Nothing appeared to be going on, but it looked like they could open on short notice if they desire.  The trails have not been mowed, the "base lodge" and bathrooms are gone, but I would think they are seasonal rentals that can be brought in on short notice.  There is no sign of snowmaking, or a water source for that matter.  The portable garage containing the park rails remains, as does the "groomer".  There is a small culvert running the length of the hill that would make for a few fun turns, if there is ever enough snow to fill it in.  I'll try to post a few pics.
    edited October 14 Posts: 336
    20171011_135414-1.jpg
    1126 x 2240 - 497K
    20171011_135327-1.jpg
    2073 x 1312 - 447K
    20171011_135625-1.jpg
    1187 x 1961 - 398K
    20171011_140105-1.jpg
    2132 x 1436 - 871K
  • becca_mbecca_m advanced
    edited October 15 Posts: 114
    i skied Gateway 3 days after ski_it last year just to make sure I hit the newest/lowest vert ski area in NH   :)
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited 3:04PM Posts: 1,682
    becca_m said:

i skied Gateway 3 days after ski_it last year just to make sure I hit the newest/lowest vert ski area in NH   :)

Yes the smart people know all the hip new coolest places to ski!

And according to trip reports on that other site, it seems you & I unintentionally shadow each other quite a bunch. ;))

http://snowjournal.nplas.com/discussion/1112/gateway-hills-snow-park-nh-trip-report-sat-2-11-2017 

• becca_mbecca_m advanced
    hahaha - yes ski_it!!!!!