Where are you skiing or boarding next during the spring season April till when ever it ends.

RemskiRemski advanced
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 363
I'll be at Killington Fri. the 22nd. The web cams show a repair of the bare spot so it will be top to bottom cover, at least for Fri. They are scheduling the Superstar lift for June 1st, with no guarantee of snow conditions so I'll be heading up to the snowfields on 6/1.

Comments

• RemskiRemski advanced
    edited May 2015 Posts: 363
    What happened to my double black diamond from Snowjournal 1.0? But thanks for novice badge anyway!
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Remski said:

What happened to my double black diamond. from Snowjournal 1.0?

We all start over!

I'm planning to go to Killington on Monday, the 25th.  Killington just announced that after the 25th, they will be closing for the season, but will re-open Monday June 1 for free.

• RemskiRemski advanced

We all start over!

I'm planning to go to Killington on Monday, the 25th.  Killington just announced that after the 25th, they will be closing for the season, but will re-open Monday June 1 for free.

Fri. will be so much better!
    Remski said:

We all start over!

Fri. will be so much better!
    True - but I can't make it on Fri.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    edited May 2015 Posts: 363
    AHW, I feel your pain.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Killington is skiing perfect spring cond. right now. Soft spring bumps but also some groomed sections that let you make some enjoyable GS or SL turns. My 52nd day and looking for at least 1 more, June 1st on the Snowfields. I really like living in NH for all the great skiing so close to home. SKI THE EAST!

I wound up at Killington yesterday (May 23).  Superstar is still skiing well t2b, but with too many skiers making it tricky to avoid collisions.  Funny: There was a  hard-freeze on Friday night and until about 11AM, I was wishing I had sharper edges!

If I go June 1 (and I plan to), I will still end up missing my goals for the season:
    * Goal: 100 days lift serviced: Actual: 99
    * Goal: 80 lift serviced at home area: Actual: 76
    * Goal: 20 lift-serviced away from home: Actual: 23 (made that one)
    * + 13 hiking/earned-turn days for a season total of 112 days. 

I know nelsber beat me on skiing days.  Anybody else hit 100 days?

• RemskiRemski advanced
    That time of the season again! Went to Loon today for their last day and that's too bad because they certainly have enough cover to last through this coming week but it's cost prohibitive. You can tell by the bases on the trails who their brother resorts are. Conditions were mostly Lsgr & frgr but they did an incredible job grooming. It was one of my best days out in this elongated Fall that we've had. Plenty of varied terrain but even more could have been open if it wasn't for the cost of this nasty season. The Gondi and the north peak quad were open and the Gondi had a 10 min. lift line half of the day, in other words the parking lot was full. Left around 1:00 in a very satisfied mood. GREAT JOB LOON!
  • mtsnow123mtsnow123 advanced
    I'll be at Sugarbush this saturday and sunday. Highs in the 60's and sunny, sounds like a complete difference then this past weekend. 

I'll probably venture down to Killington in May after Sugarbush closes and get in the Superstar Glacier runs. 
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Killington is on my list for 1 day this wknd.
  • ChuckstahChuckstah advanced
    Possibly Sugarloaf on Friday, and definitely at least one day at Sunday River this weekend. 
  • shprideshpride intermediate
    I'm going somewhere on Monday. Will determine as I we get closer where.
  • steamboat1steamboat1 advanced
    Looking forward to soaking up the sun at K-town Wed.-Fri. You guys can take the weekend shift.
  • ADKskierADKskier advanced
    Off the back of a boat.....
    ~Rich~
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    My schedule hasn't permitted me to go skiing after things peter out here in the Mid-Atlantic, where our seasons sometimes stretch into the first weekend in April when luck and cold temperatures hang around.

Not a complaint, just the way things are.  I'm grateful to have gotten onto the snow as much as I did this season, all things considered, and I appreciate that I have a choice of more than 10 areas that are feasible as one-day trips.

Happy spring skiing to all!
    Woody

• ski_itski_it expert
    Remski said:

..... June 1st on the Snowfields. I really like living in NH for all the great skiing so close to home. SKI THE EAST!

Remski, you really think the fields will be skiable on the Big Guy this year?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    I'll be surprised if they are.
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Great day at Killington Sat. Every trail softened by 11:00 and spring skiing was in full swing. The nice thing about all the rain we had this winter is that it froze the snow to a nice hard base that in these warm temps softens just enough to hold an edge but not get mushy so skiing between the moguls that develop is like a slalom course. Double Dipper and Superstar were phenomenal with those well spaced bumps. All the rest of the open trails were groomed and excellent cruising. Now all the ski areas need is for you to get up there and buy a ticket and help them pay for all the snowmaking and grooming they've done because the skiing this spring is surprisingly good.

Remski said:

Great day at Killington Sat. Every trail softened by 11:00 and spring skiing was in full swing. The nice thing about all the rain we had this winter is that it froze the snow to a nice hard base that in these warm temps softens just enough to hold an edge but not get mushy so skiing between the moguls that develop is like a slalom course. Double Dipper and Superstar were phenomenal with those well spaced bumps. All the rest of the open trails were groomed and excellent cruising. Now all the ski areas need is for you to get up there and buy a ticket and help them pay for all the snowmaking and grooming they've done because the skiing this spring is surprisingly good.

I was there Apr. 13 and 14 and reported it on another thread.  Re-iterating from there: mid-May should be a no brainer and the amount of snow on Superstar remains impressive. As remski suggests, the snow is glacial and should melt very slowly.  I see June 1 (or later) as a very real possibility
  • shprideshpride intermediate
    Going up to Killington tomorrow. Thanks for the report to get me more excited
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Just skied Sugarbush- very nice, peely snow with big bumps on Stein's. Big crowd and big fun. Upper mountain also good, though Jester will be gone. Spring Fling will be tough to reach after today as well. Great scene and a nice end to a lousy season!
    Rode Sugarbush this past Saturday and Sunday. Agree to the points above by lotsoskiing. There's a section above spring fling that you have to go right or left around a patch this about 60 feet in diameter. The left side disappeared and had required grass riding. A few other mid mountain trails had same issue, and luckily I was in the grass riding mood. Terrain park is pretty neat. It has a sweet banked slalom course. All rails are pretty technical and stayed away from them. Run of the day was probably Stein's Run. It was bumped in most places and very fast. Ripcord came in close second. Jester was quite funny to ride, as some sections was just running water over ice. Downspout was very slow and being a snowboarder was very hard to commit sometimes.

It was amazing to see almost no snow on the Gate House side, when I was riding there just two weekends ago. Amazing how fast the snow can disappear. I'm assuming the last weekend will be first weekend in May with Just Stein's open. 
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    Anyone going west? I understand parts of Colorado got up to four feet of snow last weekend, and parts of Wyoming got un to two feet. Don't know what that has done for what's left (if anything) of the ski season out there. 
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Skied at Killington on Sat. Superstar was very good with a soft ice surface that allowed for some sweet carving in between the well spaced bumps that developed. Still plenty of base on Superstar and they should have no problem staying open well into May
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    Skied Wildcat Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday Lynx & Catapult were groomed & open top to bottom using parts of various trails. Both skied well, a little soft as the day wore on. A few spots on the Catapult side got thin & churned up later in the day as well. Lynx had plenty of cover, was open side to side.

Sunday morning there was a drop in temp, into the upper 20's. Lynx had been groomed top to bottom and was skiing like a nice winter day, firm under with some loose frozen granular on top. It was nice to lean into my edges and just go. A few places even got scraped off as the day progressed, the bottom got a little soft. Catapult was not groomed Sunday, too many thin spots to patch up quickly as the surface firmed... it was open and was OK when it softened.

Crowds were very light, no lines, no WROD feel to the place.

They were talking about doing next weekend as well if things hold up, probably only Lynx, but check the snow report.

I passed AMC down the hill, there were quite a few parking places available in the lots, not the usual overflow situation for  Tuckerman's. 

The new Peak passes were selling at a lively pace. The $499 pass with black out days (everywhere except Crotched, good every day at the Crotch) seemed popular. Buy them quick, $99 down gets you locked in before prices go up at the end of the month. 
  • NELSBEERNELSBEER advanced
    Update, Wildcat pulled the plug for this coming weekend. Lynx probably could have made another week but the number of skiers probably didn't justify the expense of the hours of winch cat work to keep it up.

This is their second season with the improved snowmaking system, they did really well given the weather. I'll be looking for May skiing there a lot in the future.
    It is dumping right now here in Burlington, VT. Webcams at Sugarbush are looking very good at the moment. I'll be making my way over there this weekend. Probably do it on Sunday, just to say that I rode in May this season. 

The fresh snow today will probably be gone tomorrow, but the cold temperatures today really help the base.

Any guesses for last lift op day for killington this season?
  • RemskiRemski advanced
    Well I'm calling it a season. I'll be opening up the camper in Wells Me. Fri. PM. With no snowfields to speak of on Mt. Washington unless a miracle snow storm on the rock pile fills them in then I'll reconsider. I did buy some new skis Sunday a pair of Ramp Groundhogs. The Ramps ski company is having an outstanding ski sale on their website of $299.00 or less for all left over skis. Made in the USA and they make a great product after 2 runs on them at a demo day I new I had to have a pair even on ice that day the Groundhog made effortless slalom and GS turns and they are 100mm under foot.
    I had my last two days at Sugarbush this past weekend. Only two routes down open, Spring Fling and Stein's Run off of the new Valley House Quad. Saturday was a blast! Sunny and 65, with soft snow and tons of moguls to be had. There were some thin spots between the unloading area of the lift and the top face of Spring Fling. My buddies and I did 10 runs of Spring Fling. Everyone was having a great time.

Sunday was a much different story. Similar snow conditions, but high of 50 and rain. Some periods were pretty heavy rain. Very empty, as we usually had the hill to ourselves. Lots of beer drinking both days. People were riding down with beers in hand. Lots of grass skiing too. Cheers to another lift serviced season. I hit 42 days this season. Second to last run I bumped into Win Smith in the Base Lodge. That was pretty cool.
  • steamboat1steamboat1 advanced
    mtsnow123 said:

Second to last run I bumped into Win Smith in the Base Lodge. That was pretty cool.
    I hit him with the door when he was coming out of the rest room in Allyns Lodge a couple of years back. By accident of course.