Exciting news - Lost Ski Areas of the Berkshires and Western Massachusetts to be published

NELSAPNELSAP advanced
edited January 2016 in NELSAP Forum Posts: 120
Great news everybody! I now have my contract to write the next lost ski area book. Here are details:

The Berkshires an Western Massachusetts were once home to over 60 former ski areas. From briefly operated rope tows prior to World War II, to large resorts that closed more recently, these areas served a vital role in growing the sport.

Lost Ski Areas of the Berkshires and Western Massachusetts, to be
published in 2018 by The History Press, will be author Jeremy Davis'
fifth book in his Lost Ski Area series.

Up to 90 photos, past and present, along with historical trail maps will help to illustrate the history of these areas.

If you have photos or memories to share for possible inclusion into the book, please send them to nelsap@yahoo.com.

In the initial research process, over a dozen previously unknown rope tow ski areas have already been discovered!

Please like the new Facebook page: Lost Ski Areas of the Berkshires and Western Massacusetts

Jeremy

Comments

• bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    :)  :)  :)

That's great news, Jeremy!  ;)  I assume that you're using VT, NY and CT as your northern, western and southern boundaries.  How far east will you be covering ... the Connecticut River or further?

Woody
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Congratulations!  I've enjoyed the first 4. Amazing where a college term paper has led you.  Do you ever hear from "The Colorado Skier"?
  • bubblecufferbubblecuffer advanced
    Very nice!  Will just it be the Berkshires (CT River West)?
    In regard to defining the Western MA region, I'd include the Berkshires (of course) and the entire Pioneer Valley rather than just the portion of the PV to the west of the CT River.  That'd mean the 4 Western Massachusetts counties:  Berkshire, Franklin, Hampshire and Hampden.  

Using the CTRiver would exclude Springfield  Check:  I'm from Western Mass !

Woody

• ski_itski_it expert
    Is that an éclair he's eating?
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
    ski_it said:

Is that an éclair he's eating?

Now all he needs is a T-bar.
    <bump>

Any updates on a publication month?  Any special photos of lost areas in winter that you need taken this season?

This one is getting hard to wait for, NELSAP!

Woody
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Publication sometime mid 2018. Book is to be submitted this December. Will let you know about lost areas for this season for pics, thanks! I may also be narrowing the geography to the Berkshires and Western Pioneer Valley. Covering all of Western Mass' 4 counties is resulting in too many areas. Plus I have found another dozen! Like Pine Haven and Indian Ladder.

Jeremy