100 Days or less open incentive?

This newfound statement by Joshua intrigues me and irks me simultaneously. I had no idea there was such an "incentive ".

Why would the government incentivize to " work" less and pay less tax?

I just gotta know more details of this

This may be the key to why so many are not open yet given a record cold November

Comments

• Was wondering the same thing...and my guess is most ski areas operate more than 100 days even in a weak season.
  • I became aware of this when Nashoba Valley closed one year in the 90s with 100% snow cover. When I asked around, that was the answer I was given. Their summer business at the time was done under the auspices of a different corporation.

It's not about incentivizing a company to close. It's about not penalizing a seasonal business for things like unemployment taxes. I suspect what happened that season, falls under "the law of unintended consequences."

BTW, there are a few western areas whose land usage leases with the Feds provide a window of time that the area can be open.
  • edited December 1
    In NH it has to do a lot with workmens comp and liability insurance. Once employees are working more than x amount they are considered year round and you can guess how the costs go on that.

• Is this a government's policy (state, federal), a policy of the insurance companies, or both?