Surprise Openings

With the abundant early snowfall, a number of ski areas have opened unexpectedly with less than a weeks notice. Some examples are Shawnee Peak, Black Mountain (NH), and Titcomb (I'll be there!) are opening tomorrow. What others can you think of?
- Sam

Comments

• Not surprised with cold snowmaking opportunities and abundant natural

More surprised that some are not open
  • I'm surprised that anyone isn't open right now!
  • Some reasons why areas choose not to open early:
    1. It's hard to find staff
    2. Customers really don't show up early season, especially at smaller areas
    3. It's tough to pre-sell programs at a time when the weather can be fickle.
    4. There are tax advantages to being a seasonal business which go away if the season is longer than 100 days.

I'm sure others can add to the list.
    4. There are tax advantages to being a seasonal business which go away if the season is longer than 100 days.

Also making sure equipment is ready (such as lift inspections)
    - Sam
  • Wow I learned that there are tax advantages ( tell me more Josh) for being open less than 100 days

Well that's an incentive to stay closed

Maybe I'll ask the boss if I can work less than 100 days
  • Hey we (the govt) will ask that you please don't open more than 100 days, we wouldn't want you to employ people longer than you should.
  • There also could be insurance that may not kick in until a certain date. Also i know that Caberfae Peaks does weddings from spring through fall. The week before they opened they had a wedding and that takes place in the lodge. So they could not have opened any earlier
    Customers really don't show up early season, especially at smaller areas
    It's hard to find staff

Peaks says that if you want to ski, go to Mt Snow or Wildcat, which have great conditions. Independant Pat's Peak has opened on limited terrain for the last 2 weekends only. Opening early for small mountains far away from metro areas is a money losing situation, and early staffing can be an issue for areas that never open this early.

Also making sure equipment is ready (such as lift inspections)
    Lift inspections can be scheduled early. Not doing so is a choice - and not an economics related one.