Comments

• I see Bob Meyer was teaching at Cabby before family ownership
  • Single digit lift tickets. Rosemount boots, Yamaha skis. I started skiing two years before that issue came out. Like a walk down memory lane. Thanks.
  • Happy to post it.
  • edited November 4
    What a great year, 9 yrs old, man on the moon, Joe Namath and the Jets, Nolan Ryan and the Mets and a year later ('70) my Pequannock little league team lost to the Craig Kornfield led WORLD CHAMPION Wayne NJ at Williamsport Pa( well we lost to them at Wayne the town next to us 9-6)

And I had been to Snow Bowl, Great Gorge and Mt Snow Vt
  • This thread brought back some great memories.

69-70 was the beginning of my fourth season. As of that issue, I had skied a grand total of 55 days at 17 areas with more than 5 days skied at Mt. Tremblant (14), Brodie (9), Stratton (6).

1969-70 was the season that lift tickets hit $10 with Stratton leading the way.
  • JimK said:

Single digit lift tickets. Rosemount boots, Yamaha skis. I started skiing two years before that issue came out. Like a walk down memory lane. Thanks.

I started skiing in the early 60's. I think my first skis were Northland, with cable bindings and I had leather lace boots. But my buddy (who taught me to ski) and I bought Henke bucket boots (plastic) and Yamaha Hi Flex (210 cm) skis next. They had Miller bindings. Like Cubco, plates were screwed to the toe and heels of the boots. His older brother and Rosemount boots. They were cool! My '69 ski atlas has man in Rosemounts on the cover. You sized your skis by stretching you hand over the tip.
  • I am feeling like I should be sitting at the kids table. I started skiing at 4 years old and started in 1974
  • ciscokid said:

What a great year, 9 yrs old, man on the moon, Joe Namath and the Jets, Nolan Ryan and the Mets and a year later ('70) my Pequannock little league team lost to the Craig Kornfield led WORLD CHAMPION Wayne NJ at Williamsport Pa( well we lost to them at Wayne the town next to us 9-6)

And I had been to Snow Bowl, Great Gorge and Mt Snow Vt

Craig Kornfeld was my neighbor in Wayne. He was a couple of years older than me. He was easily the best and fastest athlete in our neighborhood. We were living similar lives a few miles apart. :)

• Cool neighbor, remember the awful awful at Buxtons shakes across from Wayne Manor?

Then we can agree to disagree on state funded ski areas!⛷
  • ciscokid said:

Cool neighbor, remember the awful awful at Buxtons shakes across from Wayne Manor?

Then we can agree to disagree on state funded ski areas!⛷

Yes, I remember Buxtons, but they had the Big Bux - I think Bonds had the Awful Awful. Friendlys had a Fribble. How about Sam's maple Grove? I loved that place.
  • Your right z, remember Marco's playmart in Pompton Plains and Carvel at the Rt 23 circle? Carnival pizza I believe.
    And Turkey mountain

I used to walk to Sunset Valley when they opened in '74, $4 to play as much as you wanted(walk) I walked 54 holes 1 day!
  • Don't know Sam's Maple grove

Remember Triangle Hofbrau?

Funny I never went to Henno's ski shop, always went to Denville ski and sport
  • Was just talking to my 88 yr old mom about dropping my brother and i off at Snow Bowl, who just drops their kids off by themselves like that anymore?
  • ciscokid said:

Was just talking to my 88 yr old mom about dropping my brother and i off at Snow Bowl, who just drops their kids off by themselves like that anymore?

Doesn't happen. Met up with some friends this weekend to memorialize my brother at HV. Talked about how we would disappear as soon as the lifts turned at 8:00 as early as ten years old and wouldn't show up again until lunch and then finally at sweep. Today, I think parents keep track of their kids with GPS, cell phones and drones.

It's too bad. I learned more being free of hovering than I ever could've while being constantly monitored, including that one does not learn how to barefoot waterski simply with a fast boat and dropping a slalom ski... Oh, and an M-80 will take down a rotten tree when placed appropriately, and parents do count the number of beer cans consumed versus what's in the fridge...
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • Page 79 has this sagacious comment: "Spider Sabich, the best racer in the U.S. stable despite his fragility"

• ciscokid said:

Was just talking to my 88 yr old mom about dropping my brother and i off at Snow Bowl, who just drops their kids off by themselves like that anymore?

It's so uncommon these days that Utah had to pass a law to keep parents from getting harassed by family services when some nosy neighbor calls the cops....

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/29/well/family/utah-passes-free-range-parenting-law.html

Hopefully more states will do the same.
  • I guess at 12 yrs old I was taller than most molesters
  • It's sad, really. Sheltering a kid for their entire childhood makes for potentially mal-adjusted adults. I got my safe boating license at ten and could take out the family motorboat to just drive it around-- such a thrill at that age! (wish I still had that boat-- it's a 1957 MFG that's a classic) but today parents get busted for letting their kids go to the playground without hovering like a drone.
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • edited November 5
    ciscokid said:

Don't know Sam's Maple grove

Remember Triangle Hofbrau?

Funny I never went to Henno's ski shop, always went to Denville ski and sport

Yes to the Triangle Hofbrau, that was a favorite. I worked at Heinos during the fall and early winter when Heino was busy when I was in high school. My Dad knew Heino when he first had a shop in Garfield.

Marcos Playmart and the Carvel where regular stops.

• ciscokid said:

When I was in 4th/5th/6th grade I was dropped off at Campgaw with a couple of friends for the day. They had a program for about 6 Saturdays that included a ticket and a lesson.

I never considered this for my kids. ;)