What small ski area skis bigger than it really is?

Let’s say under 1,000 vertical feet and a strong variety of terrain. Any ideas?

IBRAKE

Comments

• I’ll start with Whaleback. They have trails for all abilities and super glades.
  • Whaleback is one I’m thinking of!
  • edited October 1
    It's hard to find anywhere else that packs the same punch as Whaleback at only 700 vert - but a lot of it depends on good natural snow, for now.

In NH, Dartmouth is just under 1K and skis pretty big too with good natural snow.

Pats Peak skis fairly big for it's vert.

There are a lot right on that 1k cusp that ski big: Catamount, Berkshire East, Big Rock, etc
  • My feeling is that areas that ski bigger than they really are, are those that do not have long and extended run-outs. Whaleback fits that. Berkshire does also.
  • Boyne skis bigger than 500’ vertical. I think being so spread out helps it ski bigger
  • edited October 1
    Since it's listed right at 1000 vertical, if that disqualifies it, my bad. Middlebury Snow Bowl

I was impressed with how big it skied when I was there for my 1st time last March to watch my daughter race in the VT U14 State Championships. And that was on relatively limited terrain at the time as it was mainly snowmaking only trails at that time as it was just after the late February melt down and just a few days before the 1st of the March snowstorms hit!
  • Northeast Slopes.
    Another on the 1K cusp: Hickory :'( :'( :'(
  • I definitely agree with Whaleback, and I'll also add Titcomb.
    - Sam
  • I would say Holiday Valley but I realize that it's kind of a bastard child-- it's big and spread out but under 1000' vertical. There's also a fair amount of run out on the Eastern Complex as well.
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • Plattekill is listed at 1100 but Mapnut may have some other thoughts. Either way, it has no run-out whatsoever, and skis bigger than it is.
  • > @bmwskier said:
    > I would say Holiday Valley but I realize that it's kind of a bastard child-- it's big and spread out but under 1000' vertical. There's also a fair amount of run out on the Eastern Complex as well.
    I can agree with Holiday Valley. If you go by vertical it’s only 300’ or so taller than a lot of Midwest hills, but definitely skis bigger than that
  • edited October 2
    I'd say that "skis bigger than it really is" often means a great deal of horizontal extent that compensates somewhat for the relative lack of vertical drop. Wandering skiers get longer rides than usually expected - the mountain "skis bigger".

I certainly have to agree with Catamount and Berkshire East. Their meandering runs take advantage of the horizontal breadth of the terrain, yet the steeps offer challenges.

Oak Mountain and Otis Ridge would make my list, too. All those chutes and catwalks at Oak surpass what I expected the day I skied there. And lil' ole Otis Ridge has a couple of great plunges down its 300-foot face plus some long routes to skier's left.

Here in the Mid-Atlantic region, I'd nominate Seven Springs PA, Canaan Valley WV, Wisp MD and the Basin section of Snowshoe WV. All are great runs in their own right, offer some loooong wandering routes that connect one trail pod with another, or provide alternatives to the comparatively short fall-line drops. Find a trail map and check out, for instance, Lost Girl at 7S, Dark Side of the Moon at CV, Muskrat to Down Under at Wisp, and Upper-Middle-Lower Flume at SS. (Cue Dion's "The Wanderer".) They're among my all-time favorite runs.

Is it snowing yet?

Woody
  • I know it doesn't really qualify since it's a pod and not a full ski area but I'm going to say Zoomer lift at Cannon. Can't think of a better use of < 700' of vertical drop around here.
  • Greek Peak skis much bigger than it is especially from the top of Mid mountain summit lift.
    ~Rich~
  • I don't think Plattekill skis bigger than the 1,000' vertical implies, especially in comparison to some of the other areas mentions. But it skis WAY better and WAY WAY steeper than what one expects from a smaller 1,000' vert mountain. Its my favorite mountain under the often used 1,200' vert cutoff (and I like it better than some above that cutoff!)
  • I'd argue that there aren't any areas smaller than Whaleback that "ski bigger than their vert". I disagree that Pat's skis big, it feels exactly like what it is.
  • riverc0il said:

I'd argue that there aren't any areas smaller than Whaleback that "ski bigger than their vert". I disagree that Pat's skis big, it feels exactly like what it is.

Agree.
  • Suicide Six! Great variety of trails and overall a very "skiable" ski area.
  • edited October 3
    Elk Mountain, PA
    They advertise 1000 ft vertical, but certainly seems larger than that.
    Having the two sides make it ski bigger, and all those spruce trees make you feel like you are somewhere other than Pennsylvania.
  • Titus Mountain in Malone, NY. Not huge vertical but a sprawling layout,
  • Elk is a fun place with ownership that has very little regard for the customers. They need serious help with customer service.
  • conrad said:

Suicide Six! Great variety of trails and overall a very "skiable" ski area.

Suicide Six skis smaller than its vert suggests. I was surprised by how small the place felt and that despite the fact that I went there looking for a smaller area. Nice place but not on my list for a revisit.
  • I was going to echo that re S6- the trail map makes the area appear much larger than it really is. You can see the top of the lift practically from the lot and the slopes on the front are a mile wide, essentially the width of the mountain.
  • riverc0il said:

conrad said:

Suicide Six! Great variety of trails and overall a very "skiable" ski area.

Suicide Six skis smaller than its vert suggests. I was surprised by how small the place felt and that despite the fact that I went there looking for a smaller area. Nice place but not on my list for a revisit.
    agreed suicide Six skis small, but thats because its not a lot of vertical and its steep.
    ~Rich~
  • edited October 4
    woodcore said:

Titus Mountain in Malone, NY. Not huge vertical but a sprawling layout,

I agree but only from the summit pod, the rest of the mountain is 500 vertical foot pods.
    ~Rich~