Ski resorts with a false Summit

edited August 30 in NELSAP Forum
What are some Ski resorts that have false summits. One that comes right to mind for me Is Gore Mountain and its Predominate Bear mountain summit. Bretton Woods, even though I don't believe Rosebrook actually is any higher than the triple. West mountain of course as the main base area is a mix of 500 vertical foot hills with the main summit off to the left for the full vertical that you don't ever really see.
~Rich~

Comments

• Loon's 100 foot molehill of a summit. Geographically, it's North Peak that's named Loon Mountain.
  • I'd say Wildcat. You think you're at the summit, then realize that you are not.
  • edited August 31
    And not at 4062 ft either or 4000 for that matter. D summit. A,B,C probably higher
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Waterville Valley
    - Sam
  • Stowe. Get pretty close to the Nose, far below on the Chin side.
  • Lincoln Peak, Sugarbush. Gondi made it there; Heaven's Gate is below the top, though you can hike up to it. Mt. Ellen is pretty close, but actual summit is a few feet higher in the trees to the south.
  • Killington, hike up Catwalk to the top!
  • I think Whiteface is about 4 or 500 feet below the actual summit.
  • Gore is a false summit where you cannot see the top from the bottom, but I can see the top of Whiteface from the bottom, so I do not think that is a false summit. It is just a case of the lift not going to the top. Maybe I am misreading this?

• "false summit" has a specific meaning in mountaineering, it does not mean "ski areas that don't go to the summit of a mountain"

Gore I agree. A lot of places hide the summit, but it doesn't necessarily appear like a false summit. It's funny but I never really look at that while skiing, figuring the chair is gonna go where it goes. I notice them all the time while hiking, since the feet are doing the lifting

since we're talking ADKs, if you ever climb Giant it has like a half dozen false summits, very disheartening!

Another is Mt Webster in NH, if you climb north bound up AT if has a bunch of aggravating false summits

• Could you define "false summit"?
  • edited September 1

Could you define "false summit"?

In mountaineering, a false peak or false summit is a peak that appears to be the pinnacle of the mountain but upon reaching, it turns out the summit is higher.[1] False peaks can have significant effects on climbers' psychological states by inducing feelings of dashed hopes or even failure.

You guys can talk about hiking or skiing. My intention was getting to the base area and not being able to see the actual summit. Such as Gore mountain with Bear mountain in Front of Gore Mountain.
    ~Rich~
  • How much vert difference would be the measuring stick? Most chairlifts don't actually end at the summit of a mountain (a few truly do). There are areas that way totally way not even close to the summit (Mansfield comes to mind) and then there are areas that require a short uphill walk to the summit (like Cannon). And there are lots of areas between those two extremes.
  • riverc0il said:

How much vert difference would be the measuring stick? Most chairlifts don't actually end at the summit of a mountain (a few truly do). There are areas that way totally way not even close to the summit (Mansfield comes to mind) and then there are areas that require a short uphill walk to the summit (like Cannon). And there are lots of areas between those two extremes.

i guess you guys can take it where you want.
    ~Rich~
  • ADKskier said:

riverc0il said:

How much vert difference would be the measuring stick? Most chairlifts don't actually end at the summit of a mountain (a few truly do). There are areas that way totally way not even close to the summit (Mansfield comes to mind) and then there are areas that require a short uphill walk to the summit (like Cannon). And there are lots of areas between those two extremes.

i guess you guys can take it where you want.
    This was exactly why I listed brenton woods, as their main lifts are not to the summit.
    ~Rich~
  • Correction on west mountain, I dont know what I was thinking I meant to say Titus.
    ~Rich~
  • The true peak of Crotched Mtn. is a good bit to the east about 100 vertical feet higher than the ridge where the Rocket HSQ ends. That being said, I've hiked up there, and I don't see any potential addition of quality skiing terrain in that direction. (It's also not on real estate under the control of Peak Resorts.)

We had a previous thread about areas where there was a hike above the top lift to ski more terrain which included Paradise, MRG; Catwalk. Killington; Nosedive, Stowe; etc.
  • Lincoln Peak is sort of a false summit in that when reaching the top of Lincoln you realize the true summit is actually Mt Abe.

Although not a big elevation change, the true summit of Stratton (where the tower is) is a bit south of ski area summit, which appears to be the true summit.
  • slatham said:

Lincoln Peak is sort of a false summit in that when reaching the top of Lincoln you realize the true summit is actually Mt Abe.

Although not a big elevation change, the true summit of Stratton (where the tower is) is a bit south of ski area summit, which appears to be the true summit.

What? Summit of Lincoln Peak is about a 2 minute hike up from Heaven's Gate. Mt. Abe is far from Lincoln along Long Trail; not claimed as summit by Sugarbush in any case.