Mad River???

I’m down here in Chile and talking to another US citizen and skier from the Golden Gate area at my lodging spot and he said that Mad River Vt. had been discreetly acquired by Vail last week. Has anyone heard anything of this.
By the way the skiing down here this season is just like NE. Frgrn in the AM and corn in the PM and they’re hurting for snow at the lower elevations. It’s snowing today expecting 1’+ I’ve skied Valle Nevado, La Parva and now I’m at Portillo till Saturday and then on to Argentina and Las Lenas next week.
8CA06C33-9DE2-460F-9FC8-226D59CA7795.jpeg
4032 x 3024 - 1M

Comments

• Nothing is impossible, but I highly doubt it- how would Vail have bought Mad River Glen under the radar, when it is owned by a large # of shareholders who would have had to approve it at a board meeting?
  • Have a good trip and we want to see photos!
  • 37D0F3C0-2863-4311-B094-11F33CB95EE8.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 1M
  • Sorry, I cannot see that happening. A Vail acquisition of MRG would utterly destroy everything that makes MRG what it is. You’d kiss ALL off-piste skiing goodbye as well as the single chair, the narrow trails, the rustic vibe, and the snowboard ban.
  • This could be true in an alternate reality, in which case it could prove the popular theory that some Californians live in an alternate reality ;)

• I don't see Win Smith as selling Sugarbush any time soon, but I've been told that for the right price, every ski area is potentially for sale. The nature of the co-op at MRG is such that it would be impossible to keep that sale under the radar, but with Sugarbush (in the Mad River Valley) being privately owned, could - and Sugarbush might be a good acquisition for Vail.
  • I personally would love to see Peak Resorts purchase Sugarbush. That would give Peak a strong northern Vermont presence with a legendary and beautiful resort. Doesn’t Vail already own Stowe?
  • Sorry to say, but it is true. I am a shareholder, and we tried to keep it hush.
    I am offering lifetime passes to the first 100 people who send me $750 in cash or money order. I will back date the passes and make them a condition of the sale.
  • edited August 30
    > @NJSki said:
    > Sorry to say, but it is true. I am a shareholder, and we tried to keep it hush.
    > I am offering lifetime passes to the first 100 people who send me $750 in cash or money order. I will back date the passes and make them a condition of the sale.

Please tell me you’re joking that Vail actually bought MRG.
  • You sure he wasn't thinking about Stowe?
  • No it was definitely Mad River Glen
  • Not. A. Chance.
  • Late/early 4/1.
  • Maybe Mad River Mountain Ohio? :D :D :D
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • > @newpylong said:
    > Late/early 4/1.

> @newpylong said:
    > Late/early 4/1.

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
  • ski_it said:

Maybe Mad River Mountain Ohio? :D :D :D

Mad River, OH is a Peak Resorts area.

• ski_it said:

Maybe Mad River Mountain Ohio? :D :D :D

Mad River, OH is a Peak Resorts area.

:# :p
    ~Rich~
  • edited August 31
    yeah? so? they could still sell it to break Vail into the midwest market
    PS: REMSKI I hate you... I jest... so jealous... I hope you get a dumping, AFTER you get to the next resort. I wouldn't want anyone on the road down there during a storm.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • I’m having a hard time believing this. How could something like this happen?
    - Sam
  • With the way everything seems to be getting bought up, Sugarbush wouldn't surprise me. But with the coop at MRG,I don't think it would even be possible to discreetly purchase it.

At any rate, enjoy your trip! Would love to do a South America trip one of these days.
  • I hope we get dumped on any time because today’s storm left us a 1/2” and the people here say this Is their worst winter ever. I’ve had this on my bucket list since the 70s when I read about So. American skiing in ski mags in high school study hall.
  • It would take a lot for Win and Adam to sell out. He's invested a lot of himself into the mountain and at last year's refresher he was almost looking forward to the competition.

Besides, even if he did sell, why would Vail buy it? One of the biggest problems with the ASC was it had areas competing with each other. I was there for the end of that and I remember that our biggest competitor was Killington-- another ASC resort.

As for the Glen? Don't think so-- their coop vibe is strong and it would take a public meeting to decide to sell and I don't see that happening.

Here's a blog entry about it from 2017. BTW-- I do miss Rumble... :-( It's a very, very dog friendly ski resort. Win gives generously to Pawsitive Pantry every year.

https://www.sugarbush.com/blog/sugarbush-magazine/independently-yours/
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • Did not see anything about this on the EPIC Pass website
  • Remski said:

I hope we get dumped on any time because today’s storm left us a 1/2” and the people here say this Is their worst winter ever. I’ve had this on my bucket list since the 70s when I read about So. American skiing in ski mags in high school study hall.

Hey I was in the same class doing the same thing. Ok, your reports have been sparse in the past, this time we want pictures!!!!!!!
  • edited August 31
    No way would that happen at MRG without the word getting out. Too many shareholders have invested in keeping something like this from happening.
    If anything, I think like the telephone game, the story changes a little from person to person. It would make more sense for AlTerra to look at Sugarbush to add to their arsenal.
  • You can't exactly sell an area without any of the owners knowing about it...