Should be open but I'am not

edited August 24 in NELSAP Forum
Hey gang still trying to run some new threads as we get closer to ski season, who else is getting antzy. What are some closed areas that you feel would be more profitable than current areas, or had special circumstances that attributed to their demise.

I am going to keep it close to the chest and speak on areas I actually know some history of in Central New York. Please expand to New England, I root for the Red Sox too ;) ya massholes.

1. Bluemont- side loading chair and chair malfunctions multiple injuries. Several bad snow years also added to its demise. With a Summit lodge, and bowl skiing it was a huge draw for eastern skiers. Especially those coming from the Mid Atlantic and Eastern Mid West. Rochester, Syracuse and Binghamtom could have sustained it, Greek Peak has taken over this population now though.

2. Mystic mountain- honestly I dont know why this area closed. Based on Terrian and location it should have been the winner over Toggenburg in my eyes. Toggengburg is such a crap ski area and I am not sure how it outlived Mystic. Mystic is more reminiscent of Labrador, Song or Greek Peak. More vertical and longer trails, plus a really cool village. Just trying to get permission at this point, but in the winter the Snowmobile trail runs up the main slope. Ill try to snap some Pics this Winter.
~Rich~

Comments

• Boston Hills would likely be profitable with good snowmaking. It was a similar size to Bradford, was chairlift served, and was closer to Boston than Bradford.
    - Sam
  • My two candidates are King Ridge, NH and Temple Mtn.

King Ridge had great location (right on I-89) and limited lift ticket sales, because it was so popular. They were late getting into snowmaking, so when the horrific winter of 1992-3 came along, they went bankrupt. (I guess that could be counted as bad management decisions.)

Temple Mtn. too had good location right on Rte. 101 about halfway between Keene and Nashua/Manchester. Also, less that 1.5 hrs. from Boston. Temple was also the victim of three bad winters in a row concurrent with a recession. The owner bought high and had too much debt to withstand 3 consecutive bad winters. Temple had the capability to expand to the east to be a full 1000' vertical.
  • edited August 24
    > @ADKskier said:
    > Hey gang still trying to run some new threads as we get closer to ski season, who else is getting antzy. What are some closed areas that you feel would be more profitable than current areas, or had special circumstances that attributed to their demise.
    >
    > I am going to keep it close to the chest and speak on areas I actually know some history of in Central New York. Please expand to New England, I root for the Red Sox too ;) ya massholes.
    >
    > 1. Bluemont- side loading chair and chair malfunctions multiple injuries. Several bad snow years also added to its demise. With a Summit lodge, and bowl skiing it was a huge draw for eastern skiers. Especially those coming from the Mid Atlantic and Eastern Mid West. Rochester, Syracuse and Binghamtom could have sustained it, Greek Peak has taken over this population now though.
    >
    > 2. Mystic mountain- honestly I dont know why this area closed. Based on Terrian and location it should have been the winner over Toggenburg in my eyes. Toggengburg is such a crap ski area and I am not sure how it outlived Mystic. Mystic is more reminiscent of Labrador, Song or Greek Peak. More vertical and longer trails, plus a really cool village. Just trying to get permission at this point, but in the winter the Snowmobile trail runs up the main slope. Ill try to snap some Pics this Winter.

I agree about Mystic versus Togg. Shoot, I’ll even throw in Ironwood Ridge and Intermont as all having better terrain than Togg. My guesses are that Ironwood never installed a double chair whereas Togg did and both Mystic and Intermont were a further drive than Togg or Lab. Also, Intermont had dirt road access from what I believe I had read.
  • Boston Hills would likely be profitable with good snowmaking. It was a similar size to Bradford, was chairlift served, and was closer to Boston than Bradford.

Did they have an adequate water supply? If not they weren't potentially viable in the modern era.
  • Hickory. Snowmaking from nearby river would have made it a viable and more interesting alternative to Gore. Really hope it is not dead forever.
  • edited August 24
    Mt Tom, 750' of vertical drop right off 1-91. Close to Springfield/Hartford. Liked it better than most of what Connecticut has to offer skiing wise. They would probably have more business now with MGM in town in Springfield.

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

Did they have an adequate water supply? If not they weren't potentially viable in the modern era.
    I don’t believe they ever had snowmaking.
    - Sam
  • sugarloaf said:

Mt Tom, 750' of vertical drop right off 1-91.

That was my first thought.
  • Mt Tom was great. Berkshire East was on life support until their demise.
  • What is a side loading chair? People load by sliding on the bench with the safety bar already down?
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • bmwskier said:

What is a side loading chair? People load by sliding on the bench with the safety bar already down?

That's right. Loading Onto a Side-loading Chair will be a new event in the 2022 Olympics, along with Involuntary Under-the-bar Unloading.
  • bmwskier said:

What is a side loading chair? People load by sliding on the bench with the safety bar already down?

That's right. Loading Onto a Side-loading Chair will be a new event in the 2022 Olympics, along with Involuntary Under-the-bar Unloading.
    And also the Loading Conveyor Belt Front Flip competition...

I don’t believe they ever had snowmaking.
    I recall driving by there in the 80's or early 90's and seeing snowmaking in progress. Confirmed by looking at the NE ski history page:
    http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/Massachusetts/bostonhills.php

Tower snowguns, a relatively new technology, were installed on Dunn's Run for the 1980-81 season. Later that year, Boston Hills started to experiment with Perma-Snow.

The chairlift was removed in 1998, while the base lodge and snowmaking buildings were demolished in the fall of 2008.
  • bmwskier said:

That's gotta be one of the stupidiest ideas for a lift I've ever heard of. Are there photos?
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • Timberline Lodge OR, has side loading/unloading detachable quads.
  • edited August 25
    Two different things. 90 degree loading/unloading is trivial on a detachable lift, it just means you embark/disembark as the chair is halfway around the contour in the station. What bluemont had was chairs mounted so that they faced out, away from the towers instead of uphill. Much like the old pulse double at Squaw Valley had: https://goo.gl/images/L6Crqf
  • Why? To get motion sick in two different planes? I can't imagine the rationale for this design. Who built it? North Korea?
    Greg Stump
  • Ragged's 6-pack loads perpendicular to the lift line, works fine.
  • > @bmwskier said:
    > Why?

Apparently so that the skiers would have their backs to the wind most of the time. Was detachable, so could be worse I guess.
  • sugarloaf said:

Mt Tom, 750' of vertical drop right off 1-91. Close to Springfield/Hartford. Liked it better than most of what Connecticut has to offer skiing wise. They would probably have more business now with MGM in town in Springfield.

Just curious, can you see what remains of Mt Tom from I-91?
  • > @skirick said:
    > Mt Tom, 750' of vertical drop right off 1-91. Close to Springfield/Hartford. Liked it better than most of what Connecticut has to offer skiing wise. They would probably have more business now with MGM in town in Springfield.
    >
    > Just curious, can you see what remains of Mt Tom from I-91?

You can see some of the upper mountain trails from I-91. It's easier to see them in winter with bare trees along the interstate

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• Sugar Loaf in Cedar Michigan. As far as i know the owner got in over his head on spending and just locked the doors one day. I saw pics of the ski still in the rental dept., beds still made in the hotel and glasses still hanging in the bar.Then there was a lot of confusion of who owned what and it has been lost for a long time now.
  • When I was going to UMass, I sometimes drove there down Pelham Rd from Rte 202 and would see these weird lights in the distance. Took me a while to figure out it was the night skiing lights at Mt. Tom; there's a stretch of that road that's line-of-sight to it.
  • I earned a credit for Umass skiing at Mt. Tom.
  • Treilly said:

Sugar Loaf in Cedar Michigan. As far as i know the owner got in over his head on spending and just locked the doors one day. I saw pics of the ski still in the rental dept., beds still made in the hotel and glasses still hanging in the bar.Then there was a lot of confusion of who owned what and it has been lost for a long time now.

This area was featured last year in Powder Magazine. Great article with the history of the area and then they did some turns. Too bad-- looked like a neat area.

https://www.powder.com/videos/powder-tv/the-sudden-and-strange-demise-of-sugar-loaf-michigan/

https://www.powder.com/stories/sugar-loaf/
    Greg Stump
  • flbski said:

Timberline Lodge OR, has side loading/unloading detachable quads.

Mount Snow Canyon Express Quad loads perpendicular to direction of lift, and the Blue Bird Express 6 pack unloads perpendicular. Not really an issue.
  • Mt. Watatic. It drew skiers from north Worcester County who didn't like the weekend crowds at Mt. Wachusett. It had management problems with a big board of directors. Too many chiefs. It was a fun place while it lasted.
  • Bill29 said:

Mt. Watatic. It drew skiers from north Worcester County who didn't like the weekend crowds at Mt. Wachusett. It had management problems with a big board of directors. Too many chiefs. It was a fun place while it lasted.

Did they have an adequate water supply?
  • I don't know. They didn't stick around long enough to find out. They took out govt. loans and instead of paying them back when the interest rate was low, they spent the money on other things and then couldn't make the payments. At least that's the story I was told by several people who had some connections to the place. Perhaps someone with more knowledge about Watatic than I do can tell us what happened.
  • While the side loading chair wasn't an issue I guess with it being a fixed grip the chairs kept coming off.
    slatham said:

flbski said:

Timberline Lodge OR, has side loading/unloading detachable quads.

Mount Snow Canyon Express Quad loads perpendicular to direction of lift, and the Blue Bird Express 6 pack unloads perpendicular. Not really an issue.
    I guess the issue was with the Fixed grip chairs kept coming off. Not necessarily loading perpendicular. Sorry for any confusion. No people were not sliding on to the lift. :D
    ~Rich~