Crotched Mountain - 2018-2019

Today is August 8, the date that next season is finally closer than last season, so it's time to start the new thread on Crotched Mountain!

The mountain remains very quiet. Some lawn mowing is going on below Mountain Road, but it doesn't appear that the upper mountain will be the beneficiary of a mid-summer mowing. (Mountain Rd. is an E6 road that traverses CM from where Galaxy turns back to the main area. If one continues its full length, it goes all the way to Greenfield.)

The last few years, there was growing interest in summer activities at the mountain, but there are no events scheduled on the Events page of the CM web-site or on the CM FB Page. I assume there will be an open-house sometime in the fall, but it has not been announced yet.

About an acre of underbrush, stumps and rocks have been cleared from Solstice Glade, eliminating a few choke points and adding a bunch of new lines for powder days. Solstice Glade has become quite popular in the last few seasons and without stumps and rocks, it can be skied with minimal damage to one's skis with 3" of natural snow, but with 6" or more, it's skiable even on a good pair of skis (IMO).

If you live east of the Connecticut River and have never tried CM, you ought to put it on your 2018-9 schedule. It's a superb regional area.

Comments

• Joshua, has the mountain ops been maintaining any of the glades like debrushing them?
  • Remski said:

Joshua, has the mountain ops been maintaining any of the glades like debrushing them?

See PM.
  • edited August 29
    Aug. 28, 2018 - Tuesday
    Lots of rain. I have never seen mosquitoes this thick, save the scene in the African Queen. Another reason winter is the best season of the year: no mosquitoes!
  • Great movie.

Funny the black flies came back up here. I guess that's not funny is it.
  • As September nears its end, an update:

For those who have enjoyed the stump-free, rock-free skiing on Solstice Glade, I'm pleased to report a huge expansion of the skiable area for the 2018-9 season. About an acre or so has been added on the east side and the west side was cleaned up a bit more with perhaps another quarter acre added. This should add many new lines for those powder days.

The expansion should ease the bottleneck near the bottom where the glade hooks to the left (west) before crossing the Solstice Trail and exiting onto Magnitude.
  • Well thank you Joshua, that’s excellent news.
  • Thanks for that Joshua. I certainly enjoyed Solstice last season. Looking forward to the new lines.
  • Oct. 14, 2018 - Sun.

The mountain is lit up in autumn color. While I haven't seen it myself, I am told that the new fixed snowguns on Moonwalk and Milky Way are being installed. This is good news on these high-traffic runs that are narrow enough without being 1/3 blocked by movable snowguns!
  • Now if they would debrush the glades that would be sweet.
  • Better get debrushed before Ibrake4tbars inspects them Jan 6th!
  • edited October 21
    Last year on Jan. 6, all glades were open, but by Jan. 10, the big melt-down began. It's always a crap shoot as to what the weather will be on any given day.
  • edited November 3
    Nov. 2, 2018 - Fri.
    Due to wx, I passed on my trip to Killington. Turned out, the rain stopped early and it was a good day for those who went.

Me? I took advantage of the day to check out the mountain, despite the rain. I rarely disturb a ski day to take photos, so cisco: don't think the two photos in this posting is my new norm :-).

The first shows an undercast looking down UFO from Milky Way.

The major improvement to the mountain was adding 7-tower mounted fan guns on Moon Walk. The second photo shows two of them looking up Moon Walk from the west side of its junction with Pluto's.
    IMG_0320UndercastResized2Nov18.jpg
    1632 x 1224 - 593K
    IMG_0322NewSnowGuns2Nov18Resized.jpg
    1630 x 1228 - 611K
  • old norm is fine

2 pics twice the new norm!
  • Stupid question, how much of the lost Onset/ Bobcat/ Crotched is discernible
    Remnants?
  • There are a few places where the trails were changed where you can see a difference between what grew in and the old trails, but if you at the attached map, you'll see that most of the trails on the new map are on the old map. The area surrounded in red is essentially today's CM.image
    CrotchedMtnDevelopmentPlanAnnotated.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • The new guns are a great addition! I look forward to visiting in January.
    - Sam
  • I look forward to being shown around but you guys at crotchet
  • New norm or not, Joshua, that top landscape shot is a work of art. In fact, it looks almost like a painting, perhaps by an artist of the Hudson River School. I'll bet it would great enlarged and framed.
  • Bill29 said:

New norm or not, Joshua, that top landscape shot is a work of art. In fact, it looks almost like a painting, perhaps by an artist of the Hudson River School. I'll bet it would great enlarged and framed.

Thanks Bill. If it's a good shot, it was dumb luck - but now that you mention it, it does bear a resemblance to the Hudson River School.
  • How much more endorsement do you need to post artistic photos Josh, our lone octogenarian says we want more!
  • Did my 1st hike on the hill in a long time today. Joshua, your glades are looking really nice! The new mounted guns are nice, but noticed that the lower ones are mounted pretty low, and not sure where the elec. and water hookups for the red/pink one just below the rocket will come from as I couldn't see anything in the area. Some trails still need to be mowed, but the ponds are full and ready!! Only a sunset pic from the top tonight.

• Hey great pic quietman
    Hope you can. Join us 1/6
  • Quietman said:

Did my 1st hike on the hill in a long time today. Joshua, your glades are looking really nice! The new mounted guns are nice, but noticed that the lower ones are mounted pretty low, and not sure where the elec. and water hookups for the red/pink one just below the rocket will come from as I couldn't see anything in the area. ...

I've been so busy trying to finish off the glade work, that I didn't get to the top much this summer. Usually, after 3 or so hours of rock removal, stump removal, sapling removal and limbing; I barely had enough energy to walk home! FWIW, I didn't quite finish my work on the west side of the glade. There are a few rocks over that way. So if you venture in there really early in the season on a decent pair of skis, stay to the center or the east side.

The one time I did hike to the top after the guns were installed, I didn't notice where either the water or electricity were coming from for the guns between Pluto's and the top of the Valley chair - but they've run movable guns in there before, so I assume that's not a problem.
  • Quietman said:

The new mounted guns are nice, but noticed that the lower ones are mounted pretty low, and not sure where the elec. and water hookups for the red/pink one just below the rocket will come from as I couldn't see anything in the area.

Standing at that gun, there's a hydrant above and to the left the lift tower, there's also a tower gun down below it at the top of the split from Sat Summit back to Plutos.

That stretch gets a lot of wind, thus the lower placement. We've always covered it in the past with carriage guns. While these are a few feet taller, most importantly they are always there.
  • Ibrake4tbars will be proud of you Joshua
  • Nov. 14, 2018 - Weds.
    Snow guns are on. I don't know if this is a test or the real deal.