Ski Areas within Major US Cities.

edited June 9 in NELSAP Forum
Time for some silly-season topics.

I don't think we've ever done this one before. Ski Areas within major cities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population lists 311 cities in the USA with a population over 100K. Which of them have a ski area within the city?

Starter list:
New York City, NY (1): Van Cortland Park (lost)
Minneapolis, MN (46): Buck Hill
Pittsburgh, PA (65): Boyce (from NES13)
Syracuse, NY (184): Drumlins (lost) (from Betsy)
Manchester, NH:(263): McIntyre

What can you add?

Comments

• Boyce Park in Pittsburgh
    - Sam
  • Montage Ski Resort is within the borders of Scranton PA
  • slatham said:

Montage Ski Resort is within the borders of Scranton PA

According to the website, Scranton's population is well under 100K.
  • edited June 9
    I'm pretty sure there is (or was) a ski hill in Syracuse. Or am I thinking of the one in Utica. Going to see if I can find it.....EDIT: Drumlins, Syracuse. Closed.
  • Utica, NY has Val Bialis right to the east of downtown, on Memorial Parkway. Within city limits, and surrounded by residential neighborhoods and the city zoo. Whether this counts depends on how you choose to define the city population....

Wikipedia lists the population of Utica , as of the 2010 census:
    62,235 (city)
    117,328 (urban)
    297,592 (metro)
  • Kinda off topic, but this thread got me to check the population of Prince George BC, they have a small ski area in town. Turns out the metro population is only about 86,000, and that's the big city up there. I am now truly amazed that all the ski areas up there in Northern BC somehow manage to stay in business.
  • Colorado Springs, CO (42): Broadmoor Hotel (lost)
  • edited June 10
    Mount Eyak Cordova AK population 2239.
    Ok seriously Hilltop Ski Area Anchorage AK.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited June 10
    First update:
    New York City, NY (1): Van Cortland Park (lost)
    Colorado Springs, CO (42): Broadmoor Hotel (lost)
    Minneapolis, MN (46): Buck Hill
    Pittsburgh, PA (65): Boyce Park
    Anchorage AK (67): Hilltop Ski Area
    Syracuse, NY (184): Drumlins (lost)
    Manchester, NH:(263): McIntyre

Got more?
  • Scranton population peaked at 143k during the coal and steel years and was over 100k as recently as the 70's. Montage opened in the 80's as a revitalization attempt.
  • edited June 10
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_it said:
    The website says Alyeska is 40 miles from Anchorage. If I included that, I'd have to include Blue Hills for Boston and even Mountain Creek for NYC.
  • Eaglecrest in Juneau, AK. Maybe not big enough city?
  • Eaglecrest in Juneau, AK. Maybe not big enough city?

About 32K.
  • Dang, that's small....oh well. Fun to play anyway... maybe a new thread: Ski areas within city limits of state capitals.
  • Not in th US, but Montreal has La Pente a neige, new this past season

https://www.penteaneige.ca/home
  • Chuckstah said:

Not in th US, but Montreal has La Pente a neige, new this past season

https://www.penteaneige.ca/home

I think there was also a lost area on Mount Royal.
  • edited June 11
    > @joshua_segal said:
    > Alyeska AK counts too
    >
    > https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girdwood,_Anchorage
    >
    > The website says Alyeska is 40 miles from Anchorage. If I included that, I'd have to include Blue Hills for Boston and even Mountain Creek for NYC.
    36 but Blue Hills is in Milton not Boston. Mountain Creek is in another state entirely. Alyeska is within the Muncipality of Anchorage, is what it says.
  • ski_it said:

> @joshua_segal said:

> Alyeska AK counts too

>

>

> The website says Alyeska is 40 miles from Anchorage. If I included that, I'd have to include Blue Hills for Boston and even Mountain Creek for NYC.

36 but Blue Hills is in Milton not Boston. Mountain Creek is in another state entirely. Alyeska is within the Muncipality of Anchorage, is what it says.

The Muncipality is kind of a group of towns under the same local government. In a way, it's kind of like a county around here. I don't think it counts because it isn't in Anchorgae proper.
    - Sam
  • I believe Riverview Highlands AKA Mt. Trashmore, a lost area, was in Detroit.
  • edited June 11
    Also, East Hill, AKA Camillus Ski Hill, is in Camillus, NY, a part of the Syracuse metropolitan area.
  • Also, East Hill, AKA Camillus Ski Hill, is in Camillus, NY, a part of the Syracuse metropolitan area.

Yeah - but Nashua is counted statistically with the greater Manchester metropolitan area and I suspect that Milton, MA (Blue Hills) is considered part of the greater Boston metrolitan area.

From the internet:
    Mount Trashmore: "Officially known as Riverview Highlands, the area was once a municipal dump when the city of Riverview attempted to turn it into a ski park. Keeping snow on the hill, which still can be seen off Sibley Road, proved difficult. The ski park was decommissioned in the '90s."

"Riverview is a city in Wayne County, Michigan. The population was 12,486 at the time of the 2010 census. Riverview is a Downriver suburb of Detroit."
  • edited June 11
    > @NewEnglandSkier13 said:
    > > @joshua_segal said:
    >
    > > Alyeska AK counts too
    >
    > >
    >
    > > https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girdwood,_Anchorage
    >
    > >
    >
    > > The website says Alyeska is 40 miles from Anchorage. If I included that, I'd have to include Blue Hills for Boston and even Mountain Creek for NYC.
    >
    > 36 but Blue Hills is in Milton not Boston. Mountain Creek is in another state entirely. Alyeska is within the Muncipality of Anchorage, is what it says.
    >
    > The Muncipality is kind of a group of towns under the same local government. In a way, it's kind of like a county around here. I don't think it counts because it isn't in Anchorgae proper.

So similarly, you’d say the Bronx isn’t part of NYC then?
    And I don’t how you can point to a ski area in an entirely different state as an argument against it.
  • Ski_it asks, "So similarly, you’d say the Bronx isn’t part of NYC then?"
    The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island collectively make up NYC.

It's like Roxbury, Southie, the North End, etc. collectively make up Boston.
  • Like Eagle River, Girdwood and Glen Alps make up Anchorage?
  • ski_it said:

Like Eagle River, Girdwood and Glen Alps make up Anchorage?

For now, I'm sticking with NES13's earlier posting. Perhaps the issue is population densities and as such, I see his county analogy as holding up. Many cities, as they grow, annex abutting areas. In Cincinnati, the City of Norwood is an island surrounded by Cincinnati on all boundaries.
  • Drumlins was not within the city limits of Syracuse
    drumlins location.jpg
    630 x 572 - 214K

• > @rickbolger said:
    > Drumlins was not within the city limits of Syracuse

Debbie Downer. Sheesh.... B)
  • edited June 11

ski_it said:

> @joshua_segal said:

> Alyeska AK counts too

>

>

The Muncipality is kind of a group of towns under the same local government. In a way, it's kind of like a county around here. I don't think it counts because it isn't in Anchorgae proper.
    It's not like a county. In 1975 several Alaskan boroughs merged to become a single city: "The Municipality of Anchorage". Those boroughs included: Anchorage, Girdwood, Eagle River, and others. Girdwood is part of the city called: "The municipality Anchorage" or just "Anchorage" for short. Alyeska ski resort is in the city of The Municipality of Anchorage.

I understand your confusion based on directions that say "40 miles from Anchorage", but those are only to give visitors some perspective of travel time etc. It would be more precise if that said "40 miles from DOWNTOWN Anchorage".

EDIT: My definition above came from my experience of spending a lot of time in Anchorage. But it was a clunky way to explain it. Here's a couple of excerpts from Wikipedia that are more concise (my bolds):
    "Anchorage (officially called the Municipality of Anchorage) (Dena'ina Athabascan: Dgheyaytnu) is a unified home rule municipality in the U.S. state of Alaska. With an estimated 298,192 residents in 2016,[7] it is Alaska's most populous city and contains more than 40 percent of the state's total population.

"In 1975, the City of Anchorage and the Greater Anchorage Area Borough (which includes Eagle River, Girdwood, Glen Alps, and several other communities) merged into the geographically larger Municipality of Anchorage[17] The city continued to grow in the 1980s, and capital projects and an aggressive beautification campaign took place. During this time Anchorage became known as the "Green Apple of the Arctic."
  • Not US of course, but Saguenay up in Quebec has population of about 150,000 and 2 small ski areas in town. Mont Belu and Mont Fortin. Was also a recent merger of smaller towns (2002).