Maple Valley SOLD

Maple Valley has finally found a new owner according to an article in the Brattleboro Reformer. The new owner is a Hartford lawyer with a love for skiing per his Insta. Should be very interesting to see what happens in the next couple years.

Comments

• Dad??
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • https://vtdigger.org/2018/05/25/maple-valley-ski-area-dummerston-sells-745k/ $745,000 is not too bad for a place that sat idle since before the iPhone or Windows XP for that matter!
  • He seems like a good guy from the little I've heard so far. Hoping for another MIke @ Tenney scenario.
    - Sam
  • I read the article and he sounds like he has good ideas. What bothered me was the local residents are not happy campers about it being returned to any use at all: In 2011, MVS Associates, based in Stamford, Conn., and represented by Nicholas Mercede, proposed a four-season resort at the former ski area. In addition to skiing, Mercede proposed a long list of possible activities including mountain biking, hiking, paint ball, foliage viewing, archery camps, antique car shows, dances and movies. However, the Dummerston Development Review Board ruled the application did not have enough details for it to make a decision. In 2013, Mercede returned to the DRB with a revised application, but he was met with resistance from neighbors who were concerned about noise and lighting. "This isn't a business community anymore," said neighbor, Judy Placey. "This is a residential community. People live in these houses. And these lights affect us, and this noise affects us." I hope he has the plans to overcome this. After all it's his property. We had something similar in Montpelier. There's a big stretch of land to the east of the town center called Sabin's Pasture. It's privately owned but people freely trespassed on it as a park and nature hiking. The owner started to plan to develop it into housing and everyone freaked out. A group wanted to buy it but at an embarrassingly low price and now it is in limbo.
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • He seems like a good guy from the little I've heard so far. Hoping for another MIke @ Tenney scenario.
    Okay, that can’t be dad
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Maple Valley to become a brewery. See NESH
  • edited June 26
    ski_it said:

Maple Valley to become a brewery. See NESH

Yep...WCAX just reported it'll be a brewery and a distillery. Skiing is not anywhere in the near future....could be 10+ years out if at all. They may have more details on their 6pm newscast?

Did a little more digging and found this:
    https://vtdigger.org/2018/06/25/brewery-tap-skiing-hold-maple-valley/
  • Well, I have always felt that the next best thing to skiing is beer, so this is appropriate as a new phase for MV.
  • Does this mean there will be a sale of all those chairs sitting at the bottom?
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • All you beer drinkers should hope that the beer is better than the skiing was at that place.
  • Bill29 said:

All you beer drinkers should hope that the beer is better than the skiing was at that place.

Being in the mid-west I wold love to have a 1,000" vertical ski hill.
  • My memory of Maple Valley was that, except for a trail or two, it was mostly flat.
  • Bill29 said:

My memory of Maple Valley was that, except for a trail or two, it was mostly flat.

I hiked it a long time ago and was surprised when I suddenly found myself at the unloading station. It was about as gradual of a climb that I've ever done.
    Greg Stump
  • I'm gonna say BS on 1000'. From GE, from what looks to be the existing trail network, I get 1100 top - 370 bottom elev. =730 vertical. It may go as high as 1200 fairly close to the trails and up to 1400 on a peak behind them, but I doubt any of that belongs to them. That 1400 ft peak is also a long, long way across a pretty level area. Would need to see a topo. Still, all in all it holds more terrain than I would have thought from looking up from the road
  • Bill29 said:

My memory of Maple Valley was that, except for a trail or two, it was mostly flat.

Can't we say the same about Bretton Woods?
  • edited June 28

Bill29 said:

Oh come on they have almost twice the vert of CM
  • ski_it said:

Bill29 said:

Oh come on they have almost the vert of CM
    I think I was talking about the flatness of BW compared with the flatness of MV.

NELSAP suggests the vertical of MV as "between 841 and 1017". NewEnglandSkiHistory just says 1000.

While I skied MV once umpteen years ago, I remember almost nothing about it to compare its terrain with either BW or CM.
  • edited June 28
    True, looking at NES recent pics you can see the steepness of a couple trails at CM. Bretton doesn't IMHO have any real steeps but compared to what I see on GE to MV it's no comparison at all. We need Mapnuts and his .....map data.
  • edited June 28
    Maple Valley + Beer = Nirvana

I have always loved Maple Valley because my parents would take me there in the late 70's and it was always special treat. The tunnel from the parking lot. The long easy trail that wraps around the back. The double diamond chairlift to the top. All of it was very magical for a child.