New Areas 2017-18; Lost Areas 2018-19

This season saw a few areas operating that haven't operated in one or more years including:
Tenney Mtn., NH
Mt. Eustis, NH
and ...

We also are seeing some areas that are on the verge of disappearing for 2018-19:
Haystack/Hemitage, VT
and ...

There is also hope that some of those listed below will be back:
Blandford, MA
Saddleback, ME
and ...

What can you add to (or correct on) the list above?

Comments

• edited May 21
    If we're including Saddleback under "there is also hope [...] will be back", Balsams Wilderness should be there as well.  IMHO the latter is more likely than the former to reopen.

Did the Gateway magic carpet open this year?
  • obienick said:

If we're including Saddleback under "there is also hope [...] will be back", Balsams Wilderness should be there as well.  IMHO the latter is more likely than the former to reopen.

Did the Gateway magic carpet open this year?
    The Balsams hasn't broken ground or even  hinted that they are opening for the 2018-9 season (as far as I know). Gateway wasn't open much, but they did operate last season
  • Is a former lost area classified as new?
  • To be honest, the Majella sale isn't going anywhere and I thought you said the Berrys moved on from the nonprofit?
  • edited May 21
    ciscokid said:

Is a former lost area classified as new?

If it's been out of business for one or more years, yes.
    obienick said:

To be honest, the Majella sale isn't going anywhere and I thought you said the Berrys moved on from the nonprofit?

Perhaps my including that was based on a measure of unjustified optimism with respect to the SMF.
  • Here's to hoping.
  • edited May 22
    Mt. Eustis reopened for the 2014/2015 season and I believe was open a little last season as well as this past (er current) season.

ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • edited May 22
    Teton Pass in MT didn't open this year. At least their 2nd stint on MTLSAP. I seem to recall two of the owners had big time non ski related hardships. House burnt down in California fire I think. And other might have had property destroyed by a hurricane. Maybe not exact details, but something along those lines.
  • edited May 22
    Summary #1 below shows only removals from the original list: no additions :-( 

Areas operating in 2017-18 that didn't operated in 2016-17: 
    Tenney Mtn., NH
    and ... 

Areas that operated 2017-18 but are on the verge of NELSAP for 2018-19: 
    Haystack/Hemitage, VT
    and ... 

Areas that are on the verge of returning from NELSAP for 2018-19: 
    Blandford, MA
    and ... 

What can you add to (or correct on) the list above?
  • jaytrem said:

Teton Pass in MT didn't open this year. At least their 2nd stint on MTLSAP. I seem to recall two of the owners had big time non ski related hardships. House burnt down in California fire I think. And other might have had property destroyed by a hurricane. Maybe not exact details, but something along those lines.

Although not in new England, I was following Teton pass since I wanted to go there as part of a small mtn Montana tour.
    There is interest in saving it, has good bowls above the lift.

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/outdoors/2018/03/14/price-tag-650-000-community-looks-options/426917002/

Here is real estate listing if someone has 600k.

http://www.1stchoicerealtymt.com/property/18-168/

• edited May 23
    obienick said:

If I recall May 15 was the date the NH legislature was to decide on BS (Les Otten's) $28 mill loan. No news.
  • FlyingZ said:

jaytrem said:

Although not in new England, I was following Teton pass since I wanted to go there as part of a small mtn Montana tour.  

Montana can be a tricky one for planning, I think only 4 of their mountains are open 7 days a week.  Good stuff at those smaller places though.  No crowds, if you get a powder day it will be fresh tracks all day.  Discovery might be my favorite in all of the west.  Still considering that trip?  You should do it!!!
  • edited May 24
    Nansen Ski Jump - Berlin, NH reopened temporarily?

I hadn't heard about this until I caught up with some of my NE Ski Museum journal reading.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • FlyingZ said:

jaytrem said:

There is interest in saving it, has good bowls above the lift.

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/outdoors/2018/03/14/price-tag-650-000-community-looks-options/426917002/

Here is real estate listing if someone has 600k.

http://www.1stchoicerealtymt.com/property/18-168/

Beautiful looking SLI ( never rode one) and only $650K, this is OUR Chance Snowjournalist's!
    Look at the pics on the listing, gorgeous
  • I suspect the Nansen Ski Jump doesn't include a lift! If we include that, we'd have to include Dutch Hill/Mtn. which also opened (without lifts).
  • I wouldn't count out Hermitage/Haystack, too much money sunk into it and too much potential in the right hands. A receiver would be expected to review the potential and come up with a plan. In this case he could try to protect the value of the assets by operating it, hiring someone to operate it or leasing it. Much as Jay Peak continued to run without missing a beat. Selling off parts would only get pennies on the dollar.

Values drop quickly when the lifts stop running... e.g. Saddleback