Holiday Valley Upgrades

TomWhiteTomWhite expert
in NELSAP Forum Posts: 620

ropeways.net | Home | 2018-05-11

$3.2 Million In Upgrades At Holiday Valley

New York’s Holiday Valley is planning a $3.2 million upgrade this year that include expanded automated snowmaking, a new groomer, a conveyor lift on Slippery Streets, slope work including several “tree trails” for kids and a new shuttle van. 

Summer projects at Sky High Adventure Park include a Tarzan swing on Riptide in the Aerial Park, and creation of the Happy Holiday Gem Mining Company. 

“As an independent resort we are very proud of what we have been able to accomplish in our 61 year history. Together with this year’s projects we have reinvested over $130 million in the resort over the past 25 years. What this means is better experiences for our visitors throughout the year.” Holiday Valley President Dennis Eshbaugh said in a release.

$250,000 is dedicated to automated snowmaking improvements. Holiday Valley began installing HKD Klix automated snowmaking in 2011 and has been expanding the system each year. Automation has the advantage of quick startups and shut downs, so even if favorable snowmaking temperatures exist for just a couple of hours, the system can make snow efficiently. The Klix system also has weather stations that monitor temperature and humidity so the guns can automatically and individually adjust to changes. The result is a better quantity and quality of snow made with less energy. 

The grooming crew will add a new Pisten Bully 100 grooming machine to their fleet of 6 Pisten Bully 600’s. This machine has a smaller blade and tiller for shaping and maintaining terrain park features and other areas that require finer work including shaped snow learning terrain for beginners. The new groomer will also have an attachment for setting one or two cross country tracks on the resort’s 15 km of cross country trails.

Slippery Streets is an integral part of Holiday Valley’s beginner’s terrain and is currently serviced by a handle tow. A new conveyor lift will replace the handle tow and will make the trip up the hill much easier and enjoyable for beginners, especially snowboarders.

hey will be cleaning out downed trees and branches in between the slopes this summer for more woods skiing and riding. Creating new “Tree Trails” that wind through the woods will give kids (of all ages) fun adventures off piste.

Plans are being made for a Family Golf and Fun Center for 2019 to include mini-golf, video games, a snack bar and other activities family friendly activities.

Source: "Snocountry.com"

Comments

• newmannewman advanced
    I love to read all the what's new posts this time of year. Thanks, Tom.
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    newman said:

I love to read all the what's new posts this time of year. Thanks, Tom.

+1
  • bmwskierbmwskier expert
    I'm in for the mini- golf! Always been bummed since Putt-Putt disappeared from Chautauqua County at Chautauqua and Lakewood. 
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
  • ADKskierADKskier advanced
    Anyone know what ski resort this is? Just North Of Holiday.

~Rich~
  • obienickobienick expert
    HoliMont, a club. $10,000-17,000 initiation + monthly dues.
    Images for above question.
    ~Rich~
    holiday lost.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 862K
    holiday.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 735K
  • jaytremjaytrem advanced
    It's open to the public during the week. Skied both places this year for the first time. Both are small vertical but fun. I'd say both had something for everyone, trees, bumps, decent terrain parks.
  • ciscokidciscokid expert
    Vertical is in the eye of the beholder

Jay I re read your reports and hope you can meet up with us in Ellicottville next year. My goal is to keep up with your twins⛷

Thankfully they( I believe) don't have any double chairs for Ibrake4tbars and I
  • jaytremjaytrem advanced
    Doubt I would have the girls with me, but the potential PA part of the trip interests me. Unfortunatey I doubt I'll be able take the girls out of school as much. Kindergarten this year had no set vacations, so it was easy. Next year their spring break doesn't start til mid April.
    ciscokid said:

Jay I re read your reports and hope you can meet up with us in Ellicottville next year. My goal is to keep up with your twins⛷

Nope. None at Holiday Valley. IBRAKE rides them solo now when the Snow Journal Ski Slobs are hitting the slopes! :D
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    ADKskier said:

Poverty Hill: http://skikabbalah.com/lostNY/POVERTY%20HILL.htm
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    edited May 13 Posts: 307
    ciscokid said:

They have no idea how 750’ looks when you stuck in the Midwest

jaytrem said:

It's open to the public during the week. Skied both places this year for the first time. Both are small vertical but fun. I'd say both had something for everyone, trees, bumps, decent terrain parks.

The history and Hannes Schneider designed 60 degree Wildcat trail at Laurel 75 miles east of Pittsburgh look interesting and Woody is dieing to get there. I don't know though, Ted is on a pretty firm regimented schedule, I'd have to take a week to do it right. But enough of Snowjournalist's can sell me on it.....

http://www.laurelmountainski.com

ADKskier said:

Poverty Hill: http://skikabbalah.com/lostNY/POVERTY%20HILL.htm
    Thanks Lots
    ~Rich~
    I'd be down for a road trip back for a SJ get together at the Valley. I doubt I could get into Madigan's though---I'm too old!
    "Making ski films is being irresponsible with other people's money, in a responsible sort of way..." 
    Greg Stump
    bmwskier said:

I'd be down for a road trip back for a SJ get together at the Valley. I doubt I could get into Madigan's though---I'm too old!

Tentatively thinking mi-late January 2019
    Right Ted, ibrake?
    Woody ?
    I know it's very early

Hey when a Sugarbush patroller is in have no fear⛷
    ciscokid said:

bmwskier said:

Right Ted, ibrake?
    Woody ?
    I know it's very early

ciscokid said:

Thank you! My start in patrolling was at Holiday Valley where my dad was one of the original patrollers so it's my old, growing up place. It would be old home week for me. 

Greg Stump
    Hey I reach three score in January and Woody is no spring chicken either so you will feel right at home with us old goats
    You can only be young once but immature all your life. That's my mantra. 

My hero is Dutch Wolf-- another founding member of the HVSP. The Germans couldn't kill him over Germany when he was a gunner in a B-17 with the 100th BG, though, on occasion I thought his wife might. Still skiing (same knee and skis together style) at over ninety years old. 
    Greg Stump
    So how is Ellicotville, never been I hear great things. Aspen of the east comes to mind. Is it really that cool of a place?
    ~Rich~
    It is cool--- much bigger than what I was used to growing up-- lots of good bars and food, E'ville Brewery makes for some nice beers and the Depot had great pizza and wings. Madigans is your typical Irish bar where we used to go underage but well worth it. Silver Fox has great food and the downtown is compact enough that it's easy to park the car and wander around without getting lost. 

Last time I was there was in 2011--- the greasy spoon that had the killer shakes and great omelettes is now gone, but the Ginmill is still just as good. 

There's a lot going on in the four season style-- ropes course, alpine coaster, big snowmaking pond on top that apparently they paddle-board and if you're into exploring NELSAP areas, there's Concord Club just out of town, Cockaigne not too far away, Bluemont to the north by Springville and Wing Hollow towards Olean. 

Allegheny National Forest has some great hiking--- my recommendation is insert at Wolf Run Road and get to the North Country Trail-- it's kind of like the Appalachian but going E-W. There's also a fire tower off of that road as well to the east. Well worth the time to go! 
    Greg Stump
    When we all go we gotta hit up the E’Ville Brewery! Never met an IPA I didn’t like.

IBRAKE
    ciscokid said:

bmwskier said:

Right Ted, ibrake?
    Woody ?
    I know it's very early

Please. It is NEVER too early to think skiing!! :D :D :D

IBRAKE
    I would definitely be interested in a NY nelsap meet up! let me know
    ~Rich~
  • TreillyTreilly advanced
    bmwskier said:

It is cool--- much bigger than what I was used to growing up-- lots of good bars and food, E'ville Brewery makes for some nice beers and the Depot had great pizza and wings. Madigans is your typical Irish bar where we used to go underage but well worth it. Silver Fox has great food and the downtown is compact enough that it's easy to park the car and wander around without getting lost. 

Last time I was there was in 2011--- the greasy spoon that had the killer shakes and great omelettes is now gone, but the Ginmill is still just as good. 

There's a lot going on in the four season style-- ropes course, alpine coaster, big snowmaking pond on top that apparently they paddle-board and if you're into exploring NELSAP areas, there's Concord Club just out of town, Cockaigne not too far away, Bluemont to the north by Springville and Wing Hollow towards Olean. 

Allegheny National Forest has some great hiking--- my recommendation is insert at Wolf Run Road and get to the North Country Trail-- it's kind of like the Appalachian but going E-W. There's also a fire tower off of that road as well to the east. Well worth the time to go! 

bmwskier said:

I agree that Ellicotville is a great ski town. When you are on Main Street looking west it looks like the trails of Holimount end in peoples back yard.The Ginmill on teh Saturday night I was there had a live band, good food and cold beer.