Stratton's Snow Bowl Poma Quad lift is heading to Magic!

2»

Comments

• I hate those two tall towers on Outpost.
  • They are up there for sure!
  • edited May 13
    shpride said:

Looks like you can buy old black chairs for $300 each.

So exciting news. We will keep you all posted throughout the "off" season on both lift projects and our snowmaking pond expansion project. Also, the actual Black Chairs from the old lift will be available for purchase for $300/chair. If you'd like to reserve one or two, please email info@magicmtn.com with your phone number.
    A YAN triple from Mount Snow's Summit Local was $150. Magic wants double the price.
  • Not to burst anyones bubble but Magic hasn't even applied for an VT Act 250 for approval to replace the lift when I checked this week.
  • Mt_Tom said:

Not to burst anyones bubble but Magic hasn't even applied for an VT Act 250 for approval to replace the lift when I checked this week.

So they scrambled to buy the lift before anyone else, but now it's we'll see. I don't think the pond expansion will come under Act 250.
  • They had to get that lift, since they seemed to have the money. Even if they can't get it running this year. It's to good a fit and to close to ship for them not to.
    It will be s game changer for the owners when it all is said and done.
  • They aren't altering a whole lot so the Act 250 stuff shouldn't be an issue.
  • The 250 lift approval would be a slam dunk if it wasn't for the liftline extension. I still think it won't be an issue the state has gotten much quicker at approving last few years.
  • Pond requires all sorts of approvals, and was included in a 250 Act filing last year. The interesting twist is the VT water authority (not sure of exact name) wants/requires the pond to be taken offline from the stream. Because the plans and approval process took too long for work to also be done last summer, they got a waiver to use the pond this past winter. I would expect they are working on a new/amended filing to add the Black lift. And they have some time, as not much will be done install wise until Green is done, which is slated for July 1, although I guess that's not a ton of time.......
  • slatham said:

Pond requires all sorts of approvals, and was included in a 250 Act filing last year. The interesting twist is the VT water authority (not sure of exact name) wants/requires the pond to be taken offline from the stream. Because the plans and approval process took too long for work to also be done last summer, they got a waiver to use the pond this past winter. I would expect they are working on a new/amended filing to add the Black lift. And they have some time, as not much will be done install wise until Green is done, which is slated for July 1, although I guess that's not a ton of time.......

I remember Mt. Snow had to have their pond offline, off direct flow. I guess that means all (snowmaking) ponds have to have water pumped from a stream into them, rather than let the stream fill the pond naturally.
  • edited May 14
    A stream can fill it naturally with inflatable dams and gravity. What you can't have is a stream flow through it.

Why? Ponds are a massive thermal mass. In winters they are warmer than the surrounding river water, meaning less oxygen is available for organisms downstream.
  • obienick said:

A stream can fill it naturally with inflatable dams and gravity. What you can't have is a stream flow through it.

Why? Ponds are a massive thermal mass. In winters they are warmer than the surrounding river water, meaning less oxygen is available for organisms downstream.

Thanks, I saw Snow's inflatable dams but saw no explanation. Snowmaking dams were a solution worked out between environmentalists and ski areas. They can be filled during high (stream) flow. Thus during the late fall and early winter high water need for snowmaking, deep pools are maintained by normal stream flow. The pools are needed for fish to survive the winter under the ice. The thermal mass did not occur to me but is certainly true.
  • Part of Magic staff's posting on AlpineZone 8/2, Green yes, Black quad may not be ready this season:

On the large project front, Pfister Mountain Services is making good progress on the new Green Lift with upper bullwheel installation slated for this coming week, and haul cable soon to follow! The lift installation is currently on track to be completed this month.​
    The latest timing on permitting approvals for the snowmaking pond expansion and the Black Line Quad puts initiation of work most likely around September 1 if approved. This should be enough time for the pond work to get done this year. The Quad chair installation by winter is a much less certain proposition at that point. Our lift contractor is currently assessing the situation but we will be prepared with two scenarios: 1) Initiation and completion of the Quad install for this winter if timing allows, which would include tear down of the current Black Chair; 2) Initiation of Quad install this fall and completion next summer, which would include retaining the current Black Chair for use this winter. We will keep you posted as always as plans and permitting are finalized.​…

- Geoff
    SKI MAGIC LLC
  • At Pat's Peak when they replaced the old double with the Mount Ascutney Triple with the new loader the project was started one season (pole footings mostly) and completed the next barely making it for opening day as I remember.
  • From what I understand IF Act 250 is approved by September 1 AND install goes without issues, they have a chance of gettting Quad in for this season. I guess I should also add that Green is also successfully installed by Sept 1 or soon thereafter. So lots of moving parts. Possible though. Possible.