Stratton's Snow Bowl Poma Quad lift is heading to Magic!

2»

Comments

• obienickobienick expert
    I hate those two tall towers on Outpost.
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    They are up there for sure!
  • Mt_TomMt_Tom novice
    edited May 13 Posts: 11
    shpride said:

Looks like you can buy old black chairs for $300 each.

So exciting news. We will keep you all posted throughout the "off" season on both lift projects and our snowmaking pond expansion project. Also, the actual Black Chairs from the old lift will be available for purchase for $300/chair. If you'd like to reserve one or two, please email info@magicmtn.com with your phone number.
    A YAN triple from Mount Snow's Summit Local was $150. Magic wants double the price.
  • Mt_TomMt_Tom novice
    Not to burst anyones bubble but Magic hasn't even applied for an VT Act 250 for approval to replace the lift when I checked this week.
  • TomWhiteTomWhite expert
    Mt_Tom said:

Not to burst anyones bubble but Magic hasn't even applied for an VT Act 250 for approval to replace the lift when I checked this week.

So they scrambled to buy the lift before anyone else, but now it's we'll see. I don't think the pond expansion will come under Act 250.
  • newmannewman advanced
    They had to get that lift, since they seemed to have the money. Even if they can't get it running this year. It's to good a fit and to close to ship for them not to.
    It will be s game changer for the owners when it all is said and done.
  • SullySully intermediate
    They aren't altering a whole lot so the Act 250 stuff shouldn't be an issue.
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    The 250 lift approval would be a slam dunk if it wasn't for the liftline extension. I still think it won't be an issue the state has gotten much quicker at approving last few years.
  • slathamslatham advanced
    Pond requires all sorts of approvals, and was included in a 250 Act filing last year. The interesting twist is the VT water authority (not sure of exact name) wants/requires the pond to be taken offline from the stream. Because the plans and approval process took too long for work to also be done last summer, they got a waiver to use the pond this past winter. I would expect they are working on a new/amended filing to add the Black lift. And they have some time, as not much will be done install wise until Green is done, which is slated for July 1, although I guess that's not a ton of time.......
    slatham said:

Pond requires all sorts of approvals, and was included in a 250 Act filing last year. The interesting twist is the VT water authority (not sure of exact name) wants/requires the pond to be taken offline from the stream. Because the plans and approval process took too long for work to also be done last summer, they got a waiver to use the pond this past winter. I would expect they are working on a new/amended filing to add the Black lift. And they have some time, as not much will be done install wise until Green is done, which is slated for July 1, although I guess that's not a ton of time.......

I remember Mt. Snow had to have their pond offline, off direct flow. I guess that means all (snowmaking) ponds have to have water pumped from a stream into them, rather than let the stream fill the pond naturally.
  • obienickobienick expert
    edited May 14 Posts: 1,115
    A stream can fill it naturally with inflatable dams and gravity. What you can't have is a stream flow through it.

Why? Ponds are a massive thermal mass. In winters they are warmer than the surrounding river water, meaning less oxygen is available for organisms downstream.
    obienick said:

A stream can fill it naturally with inflatable dams and gravity. What you can't have is a stream flow through it.

Why? Ponds are a massive thermal mass. In winters they are warmer than the surrounding river water, meaning less oxygen is available for organisms downstream.

Thanks, I saw Snow's inflatable dams but saw no explanation. Snowmaking dams were a solution worked out between environmentalists and ski areas. They can be filled during high (stream) flow. Thus during the late fall and early winter high water need for snowmaking, deep pools are maintained by normal stream flow. The pools are needed for fish to survive the winter under the ice. The thermal mass did not occur to me but is certainly true.