Berkshire East purchases Catamount

2»

Comments

  • skizillaskizilla intermediate
    Posts: 21
    I do not think Berkshire east is smaller than catamount.  Berkshire skis bigger certainly and the official, vertical is bigger regardless of perceptions  1180 vert 400 acres and the acreage is probably after the trail expansion.  Catamount 1000 vertical 132 acres catamount has less snow fall as well.  I love both places and if catamount had glades it would be close..  Very tempting season pass for me living near springfield
  • skizillaskizilla intermediate
    Posts: 21
    Correctio B East has 180 acres
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Posts: 2,220
    newpylong said:

    newman said:
    flbski said:

    I believe the old nelsapped Petersburg Pass/Taconic Trails/Mt Raimer was in both New York and Massachusetts.

    It is/was 100% in New York State.
    Welcome to SJ Aldee.

    My understanding with respect to Petersburg Pass.  The area was fully in NY - but if one continued down the east side beyond the Poma, it was all downhill to Massachusetts.
  • bousquet19bousquet19 advanced
    Posts: 293

    newpylong said:

    newman said:
    flbski said:

    I believe the old nelsapped Petersburg Pass/Taconic Trails/Mt Raimer was in both New York and Massachusetts.

    It is/was 100% in New York State.
    Welcome to SJ Aldee.

    My understanding with respect to Petersburg Pass.  The area was fully in NY - but if one continued down the east side beyond the Poma, it was all downhill to Massachusetts.
    Agree re. boundaries, even though when I asked there I always considered PP a "Berkshire" ski area.

    I remember that the 2nd or 3rd towers of the main chair (the lift is now operating at Butternut) had a sign that said something like 'Entering Berlin, New York".

    Woody
  • slathamslatham advanced
    Posts: 197
    NELSAP said:

    While one could probably throw a rock into Massachusetts, Petersburg Pass was all in NY.

    Same goes for the Berlin Mountain area in MA - the landing area for the ski jumps was within feet of NY.

    But if I recall they had plans to expand which would have taken vertical to a region leading 1,500' and put them into MA? NELSAP may have the info......
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Posts: 2,220
    slatham said:

    NELSAP said:

    While one could probably throw a rock into Massachusetts, Petersburg Pass was all in NY.

    Same goes for the Berlin Mountain area in MA - the landing area for the ski jumps was within feet of NY.

    But if I recall they had plans to expand which would have taken vertical to a region leading 1,500' and put them into MA? NELSAP may have the info......
    The extension was toward the west (away from MA) and it did operate for a short time with snowcat service.
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    Posts: 678
    Have attached picture for reference re: PP.

    MA/NY state line is to the left of mountain (MA east, NY to west). Lifts are in red, longer is double shorter was poma. Trails cut for future expansion are in green, the straight one was very steep. In person they are still barely noticeable by the lack of old growth, similar to Dutch Hill's Christie and Windmill trails. One of our family friends used to own the mountain. Lack of water for snowmaking did not help.
    Capture.JPG
    1502 x 929 - 701K
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Posts: 381
    We've done some looking at the vertical of Berkshire East - using a few different sources (Google Earth, Skytrac installation), the Skytrac quad is 936' of vertical and goes to the highest point by a few feet. The carpet does go down another 20-30' below it, so a vertical near 950' is the max vertical. It uses the 950' quite well, with a wide variety of terrain, and is one of my favorite places to ski.
  • marcskimarcski advanced
    Posts: 274
    IMHO, Berkshire East skis bigger than Catamount regardless of vertical drop.

    Skizilla, Catamount has a very affordable season pass, I'm sure it is appealing for someone near Springfield.

    Also, isn't Berkshire East really the southern extension of the green mountains more so than part of the Berkahire mountains? As someone else mentioned, I'm sure it receives more natural than Catamount.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Posts: 2,177
    It's all about the fall line. Catamount only has 1, 2 or 3 that go straight down the fall line while BE has up to 8. Well, that's how I see it. I've only skied the Cat once and BE 3 or 5 times, but your assessments sound right on to moi.
    Nothing wrong with the Cat, i enjoyed my day there and can't wait ti go back someday.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    Posts: 678
    marcski said:

    IMHO, Berkshire East skis bigger than Catamount regardless of vertical drop.

    Skizilla, Catamount has a very affordable season pass, I'm sure it is appealing for someone near Springfield.

    Also, isn't Berkshire East really the southern extension of the green mountains more so than part of the Berkahire mountains? As someone else mentioned, I'm sure it receives more natural than Catamount.

    The Berkshires in their entirety are effectively the southern Green Mountain range, and both mountains are in them. Though the Beast being the far eastern spine and the Cat western.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    Posts: 1,180
    I think Cat is technically in the Taconics?
  • edited May 9 Posts: 2,392
    newpylong said:

    marcski said:

    IMHO, Berkshire East skis bigger than Catamount regardless of vertical drop.

    Skizilla, Catamount has a very affordable season pass, I'm sure it is appealing for someone near Springfield.

    Also, isn't Berkshire East really the southern extension of the green mountains more so than part of the Berkahire mountains? As someone else mentioned, I'm sure it receives more natural than Catamount.

    The Berkshires in their entirety are effectively the southern Green Mountain range, and both mountains are in them. Though the Beast being the far eastern spine and the Cat western.

    Catamount is in the Taconics and not the Berkshires. The Taconics stretch from CT into VT, and many peaks, such as Greylock, are often mistakenly referred to as part of the Berkshires. The Berkshires stretch from CT into VT, are are a southern extension of the Green Mountains. This map shows things nicely:

    image
    - Sam
    image.jpeg
    405 x 313 - 76K
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    Posts: 678
    Thanks for the correction, I forgot the Taconics came on the MA side of the border at all. I should have known that considering I grew up there haha.

    I found a cool old topo of the Taconics and it clearly shows Route 8 from North Adams heading south pretty much as the delineating line. Berkshires on your left going south (specifically called the Hoosac Range right there from around Wilmington VT south) and the Taconics including Greylock on your right.

    Learn something new every day. 
  • NELSAPNELSAP advanced
    Posts: 381
    In my new book, I considered "The Berkshires" to be Berkshire County - more as a tourist region/county region, as opposed to the mountains. It took a lot of sources to pin that down, everybody has a slightly different definition (tourist, geologic, geographic, marketing, etc). One could make the argument that Berkshire East isn't in the Berkshires at all - if you look at the map above, they are east of the band, and are actually in the Pioneer Valley.

    Berkshire Snow Basin also technically wasn't in the Berkshires, with similar reasoning.
  • newmannewman advanced
    Posts: 455
    NELSAP said:

    One could make the argument that Berkshire East isn't in the Berkshires at all .

    Is that why it's called Berkshire East?
  • joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    Posts: 2,220
    newman said:

    NELSAP said:

    One could make the argument that Berkshire East isn't in the Berkshires at all .

    Is that why it's called Berkshire East?
    Much catchier name than "East  of the Berkshires".
  • 4aprice4aprice advanced
    Posts: 203

    newpylong said:

    marcski said:

    IMHO, Berkshire East skis bigger than Catamount regardless of vertical drop.

    Skizilla, Catamount has a very affordable season pass, I'm sure it is appealing for someone near Springfield.

    Also, isn't Berkshire East really the southern extension of the green mountains more so than part of the Berkahire mountains? As someone else mentioned, I'm sure it receives more natural than Catamount.

    The Berkshires in their entirety are effectively the southern Green Mountain range, and both mountains are in them. Though the Beast being the far eastern spine and the Cat western.

    Catamount is in the Taconics and not the Berkshires. The Taconics stretch from CT into VT, and many peaks, such as Greylock, are often mistakenly referred to as part of the Berkshires. The Berkshires stretch from CT into VT, are are a southern extension of the Green Mountains. This map shows things nicely:

    image
    I absolutely love this map.  A perfect example of my northeast winter playground.  From the Pocono's to the Whites.

    Alex

    Lake Hopatcong, NJ
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited May 18 Posts: 2,177
    I agree Alex, except only G,W,& M are my usual haunts. Never skied in H and barely in T.

    Similar to this; Where the heck was I where was I that a giant wall map showing all the rock strata, etc over all NE. Must have been some museum. I forget...
    Could have been the Mt Washington exhibit in Manchester, NH. Mapnut probably has a copy. It was cool ..to us amateur rock hounds.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • mapnutmapnut expert
    Posts: 899
    Sorry, Ski_it, I would like to see a geologic map like that myself.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Posts: 2,177
    I think it was in this. Only NH though.

    Atlas Accompanying the Report on the Geology of New Hampshire
    New York, 1878
    Charles H. Hitchcock
    American
    State Geologist Hitchcock’s remedy for this apparent disappointment was his own three-volume survey with the accompanying Atlas.
    The Atlas’s schematic panoramas orient readers to the surrounding peaks. Though Hitchcock vouches for the images’ accuracy, the more distant points have been exaggerated a little, -- otherwise they could not be seen.
    The topographic map demonstrates the ambition of Hitchcock’s project. It showcases both the field analysis of rock types and the artistry of New York cartographer Julius Bien. This was Bien’s only large-format atlas for an Eastern state.
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • ski_itski_it expert
    Posts: 2,177
    Nope I was wrong, it’s not that one. It was more like on page 20 or 21, but I’m thinking it had more detail. https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/commissioner/gsu/documents/hgs2history.pdf
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • rickbolgerrickbolger expert
    Posts: 1,346
    thanks for the link

  • shprideshpride intermediate
    Posts: 85
    According to New England Ski Industry the purchase price was $2.3m.

  • newmannewman advanced
    Posts: 455
    That sounds very low to me. I still don't think it's a full buyout. Im thinking a merger of some form. Bouquet was listed at 3.5 million, so there is more to this.
Sign In or Register to comment.