Mount Snow 4-22-18 Closing Day - Updated snowcover picture 5-5-18

2»

Comments

• SullySully intermediate
    I would LOVE to see Mount Snow go back to this setup for late season, of course as is they basically just try to keep the four main runs on the front open as long as possible which is also nice. When I worked there a couple years ago I remember very very late in the year we made snow over on North Face and they kept that open till the very end. At the time I was told someone very, very, very, very high up really enjoyed his time on NF and was the main force behind keeping it open. Then a couple years later this year they opened with a ton of terrain, including North Face, so clearly they do know what they have there and just dont want to push into May. Bluebird is built ready for and is used to download all summer long too.
  • lotsoskiinglotsoskiing expert
    NJSki said:

slatham said:

. After they closed, it was off to the top half of Mount Ellen until Memorial Day;

Of course I stand by my opinion that best early/late season "pod" on the East Coast is the Summit lift at Mt Ellen.

Agree 100%

Although I understand their reasoning, it is a shame that ideology there has changed to a shorter season at Lincoln Peak, with the real estate and hotel being the driving forces. If desired, they could give Killington a run for the money for longest season at Mt. Ellen.

Crazy slow lift, though...

I agree, however. Fond memories of skiing there in early May back in the late 80's and early 90's. BBQ at Glen House. Music. Carbonated adult beverages. All good. Just too far from the investment now.

• slathamslatham advanced
    NJSki said:

slatham said:

. After they closed, it was off to the top half of Mount Ellen until Memorial Day;

Of course I stand by my opinion that best early/late season "pod" on the East Coast is the Summit lift at Mt Ellen.

Agree 100%

Although I understand their reasoning, it is a shame that ideology there has changed to a shorter season at Lincoln Peak, with the real estate and hotel being the driving forces. If desired, they could give Killington a run for the money for longest season at Mt. Ellen.

Yes I do as well, I just wish the formula was different and Mt Ellen was the choice. But Win has done a great job so he gets a pass (and its not like they closed on April 15th like some other nearby resort did!)
  • newpylongnewpylong expert
    edited May 16 Posts: 678
    They would be able to compete on the back side, but season start would be difficult. Rim Run/Looking Good is a mile long, Rime is less than half that. Killington has much more snowmaking power than Ellen, coupled with high density hydrants in the Glades allows them to open that incredibly quick. If we assume 36 hrs to open Rime, Rim would take 72 hrs at a minimum. 72 decent hrs is tough to come by in October or early November most years.
  • ski_itski_it expert
    edited May 16 Posts: 2,177
    I understand the reasoning too. It's all about the green, and I don't mean the grass.

Wow Sugarloaf you are a real die hard. I never really did any of those.

I never did the Mt Snow NF thing but heard about it.
    I never did the Okemo bus thing but heard about it.
    I did the Kpeak double early season with the download. I did late season in May a few times up in the Canyon & Southeast side. Had to take some short walks sometimes, but never rode in any trucks or even heard about that.
    I have done the SR Locke in Nov & April IIRC.
    I've never done SBush, SugarLoaf, or any others - early or late season unfortunately.
    Never done Cannon either except early April. I think some of you said they either did or could run the Profile chair & tram. 

But what about Wildcat? I've done top to bottom late April & early May. But remember way back when they had that upper chair you could spend most of the day on top?     
    ISNE-I Skied New England | NESAP-the New England Ski Area Project | SOSA-Saving Our Ski Areas - Location SW of Boston MA
  • Bill29Bill29 advanced
    And when Wildcat was finally done, you could just go across the road and earn your turns on Mt. Washington into June and even July in a good snow year.
  • spk27alumnispk27alumni intermediate
    NJSki said:

slatham said:

Agree 100%

I wholeheartedly agree with both of you, and had a brief related discussion with Win S. on closing day...very brief as he had just grabbed his lunch.  I mentioned the old days on Mount Ellen, and he related the fact that Lincoln Peak did not have the snowmaking power back then. I mentioned that Lincoln Peak, if the snowmaking was really concentrated on the upper mountain, could give K a run for their money.  He chuckled and responded that it's better for them to take up that mantle, to which I replied something to the fact it would probably be a money loser anyway. He nodded, I wished him a happy off season, and I let him go enjoy his lunch.

What a nice guy he is... lending his ear to an enthusiastic, but broke, ski fanatic. But that is the important issue. He, his fellow investor and his staff are very successfully doing something very rare in the Ski Industry...running a huge, year round resort operation, independent from any corporation!  And given his background in finance, he is not going to risk huge amounts of money.

Still, it is fun to think about my idea. It requires running the HSQ to Allyn's lodge, and running a FG Double up the old Gondi Line from the 2880 ft. level to the top of Lincoln peak.  The amount of snowmaking used to cover Steins, Snowball and Spring Fling/etc., could be concentrated on the upper mountain...on top of what was remaining up there on closing day!  The top 2/3rds of Ripcord, Upper Gondi, Upper Jester and Allyn's Lodge could supply almost the same experience that Mount Ellen used to provide. But again, at what cost, as it requires running a HSQ to access the product, and to download to the bottom when done.  (Notice that I did not include the currently available Heavens Gate Lift, as it has a lower base elevation, and would require more snowmaking to reach. And it is a very long ride.)

Would it/could it be a successful late season operation, providing a better product than what happens now at the Bush? My idea keeps the Lincoln Peak base area as the hub of activity, while possibly reducing the amount of money lost trying to provide snow all the way down to it's 1680 ft. base elevation.      

• joshua_segaljoshua_segal expert
    edited May 16 Posts: 2,220
    What years are we talking about that Mt. Snow was open in May?  I don't remember that.

As to Mt. Ellen: They competed (unsuccessfully) in the late 60s for last-to-close honors.  The problem is that late spring skiing can be iffy.  An area like Killington is about 45 minutes closer to the major population centers and is conducive to a last minute day trip.  Glen Ellen is not.  I'm guessing that's why Killington has succeeded - and I have to believe (based on the crowds the last several weekends) that they are operating profitably.

I do agree that Mt. Ellen the upper lift at Glen Ellen was ideal, but IMO, so was the Killington double with mid-station loading. 
  • sugarloafsugarloaf expert
    Still alot of snow remaining at Sugarbush:

http://www.mrvre.com/webcam

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

• spk27alumnispk27alumni intermediate
     I thought Mount Snow stayed open on the NF in the early to mid '80s, but it may have been mid to late '80s, as I remember going there for sure in '88. They even used to give out free T Shirts on Arbor Day.                                                                 Agree that K being  further South made/makes it easier to access. Avoiding the crowds is the reason those of us that went to Mt. Snow and Mt. Ellen made the extra drive, late in the Spring. It is the same reason I was at the Bush on May 5th this season!                                                                                                                                                                       As for the old K Double, the smaller amount of terrain accessed above the mid platform was easier to keep open than what was required on the upper lift at Mt. Ellen. Upper FIS, Rim Run and the Elbow was more terrain than Upper Cascade or Upper Downdraft, when K finally made the switch to avoid the chair/snow clearance issue. There was rarely very much walking required on Mt Ellen when they would call it a season Memorial Day weekend. There was usually quite a bit of walking on Upper Downdraft by the time K called it a season in June. One year, it was easier to walk up what was remaining than to get back on at the mid load. We got eaten alive by the black flies. Such fun memories. 
    edited May 17 Posts: 988
    I remember skiing at Killington in May of 1990. The snow report listed Upper Downdraft as a hiking trail and said: Caution some skiing may be required
    ;)

Ski Conditions Report: A detailed report describing the snow conditions on the mountain the day of your visit. Skiers should become familiar with the following snow surface descriptions: Ice: Packed Powder, Slush: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular: Packed Powder , Packed Powder - A thin covering of snow over bare earth.

Killington early season image

November9th1999-1.jpg
    376 x 480 - 45K
  • TomWhiteTomWhite expert

As for the old K Double, the smaller amount of terrain accessed above the mid platform was easier to keep open than what was required on the upper lift at Mt. Ellen. Upper FIS, Rim Run and the Elbow was more terrain than Upper Cascade or Upper Downdraft, when K finally made the switch to avoid the chair/snow clearance issue. There was rarely very much walking required on Mt Ellen when they would call it a season Memorial Day weekend. There was usually quite a bit of walking on Upper Downdraft by the time K called it a season in June. One year, it was easier to walk up what was remaining than to get back on at the mid load. We got eaten alive by the black flies. Such fun memories. 

I skied Killington several times on May Day. I think all
    from the Super Star quad. I believe I skied 3 times on June 1. Four T shirts
    have survived: 6/1/92, 6/1/93, 5/1/93 (32
    nd
    annual), 6/1/94. My
    first June 1 was 1983. That was the K peak double. You loaded with skis and
    poles on your lap. At the summit you scampered off, walked through mud and ice
    to the snow most of the way down the Downdraft headwall.

I’m sure I never paid for a T shirt (I’m too cheap!). That
    first T shirt has gone to the trash, but into the early 90’s (at least) they
    gave a free shirt. In 1983, after downloading (from the summit) for lunch, I
    smelled smoke on the way back up. They were having a free barbeque up top. I
    forced myself to have a burger and soda! So the next June 1, I didn’t buy my
    lunch. There was a free slalom (also May 1) and a free coupon for a lift ticket
    for next season. I don’t remember, but I assume you could ski to the
    mid-station and took your skis off for the ride up.

The only other June 1 I remember on K peak must have been
    the same as spk27 mentions above. There was a 200 yd. patch of snow on Downdraft. I think most
    of us crazies found it easier to walk back up than walk to the mid-station and
    walk down from the summit. There were black flies both years. Killington did
    make it fun, and cheap, $10 and free lift tickets.

The third June 1 was on Super Star. I don’t remember much
    but I think you had to walk down the headwall.